TdF 2016 Stage 12 *Contains spoilers*

Comments

• cedar404
    cedar404 Posts: 176
    Could someone let me know how far seconds wise the Froome, Porte and Mollema group were ahead of Quintana at the time of the crash ?

Thanks
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    As utterly sh1t as it is for Froomey as least Yatesy takes yellow if the result stands

Not exactly going to get the same buzz as winning it properly though, is he?
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Can't they prosecute fans if something like this happens? They do if someone charges on a pitch and disrupts the game at football/rugby/cricket etc...
  • Mad_Malx
    has no one blamed Froome for looking at his stem yet?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,539
    Froome could easily be back in yellow tomorrow. It still feels like the race over.
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    NorvernRob wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:
    Bizarre as it is I think that result will stand.

If it does the sport totally loses credibility. In fact I think Sky should pull the whole team out.
    I do. Not that that will happen because of Sky itself and advertising/marketing etc.

Whether you like Froome or not, this is bigger than that...it's about the sport in general and how it is perceived in the wider world. If you frequent this forum you ought to be pretty negative about this....
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    They gave Yates back his time gap the other day when the 1km inflatable fell on him
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    smithy21 wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:
    Bizarre as it is I think that result will stand.

If it does the sport totally loses credibility. In fact I think Sky should pull the whole team out.

But this sort of thing has happened before and results were not changed.

If they do change the results what do they do. Give Froome, Mollema, Porte the same times as the Quintana group or give them the gap they had on Quintana?

Whatever they do its a shambles and I don't think they can change the result as if they do they are just making it up as they go along and only doing it because the yellow jersey is involved.

Quintana had lost the Tour there and now he's on the podium.

Exactly. Froome has smashed Quintana on the flat, uphill and downhill. And he finds himself 40s or so behind. It's a utter shambles, it's not just an also-ran being taken off - we're talking about possibly losing a TdF because of it.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    TheBigBean wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    UCI Rule: 1.2.109: you can cross the finish line on foot as long as you have your bike with you
    He crossed the line on a bike, so that doesn't apply...

It does mean he was a bit foolish. I assumed it was a rule that you could run across and he was only a 100m away. Neither of those were true.
    Hard to blame him for being "a bit foolish" when he was in what must have been an incredibly stressful position (both mentally and physically) even before the crash happened. Then to have to stand there and see the people you already dropped riding past you up the mountain... it's totally understandable that he just wanted to get moving in any way he could.
    cedar404 wrote:
    Could someone let me know how far seconds wise the Froome, Porte and Mollema group were ahead of Quintana at the time of the crash ?
    No onscreen gaps given that I saw, but I think it must have been 20s or more by that point.
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    I think they should leave the result as it is. Trying to adjust it makes it even more ridiculous and would be quite complicated.

The only long term answer is masses more barriers. That could really spoil some of the finishes but it may be worth it.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    Porte sounds like he's almost crying
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    No yellow jersey podium ceremony.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    IF the results stand, Froome could make a famous win of this.

Whether the results should stand or not we can't tell, as no one has truly seen why the bike stopped.

Why does it matter why the moto stopped?

It does apparently. But, it looks like it had nothing to do with a moto failure, so strictly in this case it the results should stand. There is no footage which shows what happened to the moto really, so we can only go by what it looks like. That's my understanding anyway, I could be wrong.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,539
    I think Porte has probably be the most unlucky so far this tour. He even lost time today.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    adr82 wrote:
    cedar404 wrote:
    No onscreen gaps given that I saw, but I think it must have been 20s or more by that point.

Porte said in his interview they had 23s, so sounds about right.
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    Also, although this isn't really the point, Froome will still win from where he is now.
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    Flecha seems to be comparing this to Contador crashing.

He's an idiot.

I hope Yates doesn't take the jersey on the podium.
  • graeme_s-2
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I think Porte has probably be the most unlucky so far this tour. He even lost time today.
    Isn't that why Sky didn't renew his contract? Too unlucky!
  • Mad_Malx
    Germcevoy wrote:
    No yellow jersey podium ceremony.

That's a good decision
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    UCI Rule: 1.2.109: you can cross the finish line on foot as long as you have your bike with you

Not necessarily. The general tenor of the rule is that the course needs to be completed on a bike. If the bike is broken you are permitted to carry the bike. But by throwing your bike aside and running that is clearly not right... but there may not be a direct rule on this.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    emadden wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    emadden wrote:

Not necessarily. The general tenor of the rule is that the course needs to be completed on a bike. If the bike is broken you are permitted to carry the bike. But by throwing your bike aside and running that is clearly not right... but there may not be a direct rule on this.
    Maybe because nobody ever expected something so ridiculous could ever happen at a serious sporting event.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Graeme_S wrote:
    They gave Yates back his time gap the other day when the 1km inflatable fell on him
    Flat finish incident within the last 3km. All times taken at the 3km barrier.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    mfin wrote:
    emadden wrote:

Poor Froome fanboys :lol::lol::lol:

Anyone that reacts to what happened from a Froome bias is daft anyway. It is simply something that's happened to the leader of GC and possibly affecting the standings which makes it interesting.

Personally I'm more gutted for Titchie Richie. He would have moved up with that move. And his efforts were all for nothing.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mfin
    The only thing we do know here is that a lot of fans on mountains are idiots. Something like this was always going to happen.
  • graeme_s-2
    mroli wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Flat finish incident within the last 3km. All times taken at the 3km barrier.
    That's not what they did though is it? I thought they gave him the time gap to the Alaphilipe group that he appeared to have at the 1km point when he crashed. Had he already attacked at 3km to the finish?
  • mfin
    Looking at the video it was Porte followed by Froome followed by Mollema as the bike stopped. Porte hit it first camera left, Froome hit it camera right, then Mollema piled into the back of Porte.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    mfin wrote:
    The only thing we do know here is that a lot of fans on mountains are idiots. Something like this was always going to happen.
    It's been like that since I started watching in the early 80s. I'm amazed it hasn't happened sooner (although I do recall an incident with a fan's bag and someone).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    mfin wrote:
    Looking at the video it was Porte followed by Froome followed by Mollema as the bike stopped. Porte hit it first camera left, Froome hit it camera right, then Mollema piled into the back of Porte.
    Let's just hope any more footage that comes to light shows who is responsible.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    More importantly, another late night for me. :roll:

I had hoped for an early finish but I'm off to bed now and won't sleep until I know the jury decision....

I think the fairest outcome is to give Froome, Porte and Mollema 23 seconds over the chasers, as that's what they had when it all went t!ts up.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,034
    In this day and age, I find it shocking that they allow spectators so close to the racing!

In the World Rally Championship, the stage would be abandoned for scenes like that, before the crash.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo