TdF 2016 Stage 12 *Contains spoilers*

Comments

• prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    some footage for those who weren't able to watch... https://streamable.com/g3su
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Eurosport coverage just finished with a little "Sky hearts cycling" VT, showing the Sky team leaping up and down and celebrating on the team bus - I'm fairly confident that's not what they've been doing today
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Prhymeate wrote:
    Sounded like a fair bit of booing from some fans, while others were chanting "Quintana!" at him. Lovely stuff :roll:
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    From the official TdF website:

1. GBRYATES Adam 209 ORICA-BIKEEXCHANGE 57h 12' 20''
    2. NEDMOLLEMA Bauke 61 TREK - SEGAFREDO 57h 12' 29'' + 00' 09''
    3. COLQUINTANA Nairo 11 MOVISTAR TEAM 57h 12' 34'' + 00' 14''
    4. FRABARDET Romain 41 AG2R LA MONDIALE 57h 12' 48'' + 00' 28''
    5. ESPVALVERDE Alejandro 12 MOVISTAR TEAM 57h 13' 12'' + 00' 52''
    6. GBRFROOME Christopher 1 TEAM SKY 57h 13' 13'' + 00' 53''
    7. USAVAN GARDEREN Tejay 99 BMC RACING TEAM 57h 13' 17'' + 00' 57''
    8. ITAARU Fabio 21 ASTANA PRO TEAM 57h 13' 27'' + 01' 07''
    9. IRLMARTIN Daniel 184 ETIXX-QUICK STEP 57h 13' 29'' + 01' 09''
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    adr82 wrote:
    Prhymeate wrote:
    Sounded like a fair bit of booing from some fans, while others were chanting "Quintana!" at him. Lovely stuff :roll:

Yeah, cycling fans only hate him because he is successful.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    An old one for those who want to go out and shoot all the fans.... but at least this one had a happy ending :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dBvJkqv0DM
    www.dotcycling.com
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    pottssteve wrote:
    More importantly, another late night for me. :roll:

I had hoped for an early finish but I'm off to bed now and won't sleep until I know the jury decision....

I think the fairest outcome is to give Froome, Porte and Mollema 23 seconds over the chasers, as that's what they had when it all went t!ts up.

I agree that would be a fair solution... but I suspect Movistar would appeal saying that it was a racing incident.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    So, after sucking on Froome's wheel for 12 stages, the saviour of "exciting" cycling makes a couple of half arsed attacks and promptly leaves via the rear door.
    And yet some folks think today's farce was a good result?
    Give me strength.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    emadden wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

I had hoped for an early finish but I'm off to bed now and won't sleep until I know the jury decision....

I think the fairest outcome is to give Froome, Porte and Mollema 23 seconds over the chasers, as that's what they had when it all went t!ts up.

I agree that would be a fair solution... but I suspect Movistar would appeal saying that it was a racing incident.

And the commissaires would tell them to eff off as there is no right of appeal.
  • keydon
    keydon Posts: 144
    I'm no fan of Froome and never will be,

but that was truly awful. I wooden want anybody

to go through something like that. Will they now

be arresting anybody who interferes with the race?

And Richie took a big whack, along with the other fellow.

We may well have a new race director next year, possibly next week.

Tomorrow is odds on.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    emadden wrote:
    An old one for those who want to go out and shoot all the fans.... but at least this one had a happy ending :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dBvJkqv0DM

I'd forgotten all about that! So yeah, it's happened before.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    adr82 wrote:
    Prhymeate wrote:

And on top of that the Mavic service car seemed to give Froome a child's bike. :roll:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    emadden wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

Of course they would but remember just yesterday they were calling stages to dangerous because of wind. Never mind 100's of fans causing mayhem.
  • adr82
    Apparently no white/yellow presentations yet, so they must still be discussing what to do.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    I think the sensible and simplest solution would be to treat it like a flat stage an give the time of the group you were in.
    i.e. The same as Mollema who was 3rd of the three at the time.

However, I reckon we'll get stuck with this result.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    adr82 wrote:
    Prhymeate wrote:

That is shocking. Why do people boo? I'd like to see any of them cycle up a mountain anywhere near as fast as any of the pro riders.

The commentators were suitable unimpressed saying that there really needs to be a discussion about crowds on mountains.

Also was amazing to see the lack of control the police had when Froome was getting the neutral service bike. There's no football on any longer, there's no excuse.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • adr82
    I think the sensible and simplest solution would be to treat it like a flat stage an give the time of the group you were in.
    This would be very sensible, so they will no doubt do something else.
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    Farcical. If that result stands then it just makes a mockery of bike racing.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,539
    Looking at the replay, there weren't actually that many fans. They were mostly single file, but too close.

I think Mavic need to hang their heads. They were basically there, but couldn't produce a vaguely functional bike.
  • above_the_cows
    adr82 wrote:
    This would be very sensible, so they will no doubt do something else.

Far too sensible.

Did no one think about the problems of compressing the fans that were at the top into less space when they shortened the stage? If that was a football match you can imagine the sh*t you'd be in for trying to fit too many people into a space.
  • above_the_cows
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Looking at the replay, there weren't actually that many fans. They were mostly single file, but too close.

I think Mavic need to hang their heads. They were basically there, but couldn't produce a vaguely functional bike.

There were not enough police basically.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    So, after sucking on Froome's wheel for 12 stages, the saviour of "exciting" cycling makes a couple of half arsed attacks and promptly leaves via the rear door.
    And yet some folks think today's farce was a good result?
    Give me strength.

That about sums it up... good result, my a*se. Let's hope common sense sorts this out.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    edited July 2016
    From CN Liveblog: "It seems the race judges are trying to understand if they can take the times at the moment that Froome, Porte and Mollema crashed. "

May be one scenario where the live trackers on the bikes come in useful?
  • keydon
    keydon Posts: 144
    emadden wrote:
    UCI Rule: 1.2.109: you can cross the finish line on foot as long as you have your bike with you

EDIT: not sure if there is a rule that states that the course must only be covered by bike... still looking

How could there be if you can cross the line on foot?
  • hanshotfirst
    hanshotfirst Posts: 397
    Froome just tweeted:

"Still in the Yellow Jersey"

https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/ ... 0664786944
  • keef_zip
    keef_zip Posts: 295
    Froome on Twitter that he is still in Yellow
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    edited July 2016
    Froome still in yellow according to his twitter... https://twitter.com/chrisfroome

woops, beaten to it :lol:
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Froome just tweeted still in yellow
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Froome tweeting he's still in yellow
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Confirmed in official communication just issued from commissaire panel. Froome is in yellow.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.