Who will be the next Prime Minister

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    They never elect the assassin.

May it'll be.

halfway there.

Here is proof that they don't make politicians like they used to,,, each carefully chosen and enunciated word feels like a nail being driven into Boris's political coffin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36677623?SThisFB
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    As somebody said earlier - the assassin never wins the Tory crown. Gove looks like an enormous stitch up by MPs to keep Boris away from the membership.

I can see May as PM with Gove given special job in cabinet to deal with Brexit

they always seem to end up with the leader their party needs the least if you follow, because they get so busy politicking/scheming to vote against the candidate they bear the most grudges against, they end up grouping around the outside candidate..

Id thought May would be the one who took the "Anyone but Boris" group votes, but its clear they dont think much of her either and encouraged Gove to stand, knowing it would also block totally Boris ambitions, revenge for the leave vote ?, who theyve obviously calculated they dont need to secure a general election victory anymore given the state of the opposition, and then you think Camerons clearly scripted reply telling Corbyn to go, to which the left of the Labour party responded by immediately saying so hes got to stay then...

...schemes within schemes this stuff, make for a good HBO show this ;)

so Gove will probably now be out flanked by Boris' supporters upset by todays machinations, who wont go for May however suddenly Brexit sounding she comes across, theyll have to choose between the other 3, but Im not sure anymore they used to say a week was a long time in politics, this last week its felt like 30mins was a long time.

I reckon Leadsom has a really good shout on this now because she has the least baggage of the candidates and actually seems to be polling well among Tory grass roots.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    awavey wrote:
    As somebody said earlier - the assassin never wins the Tory crown. Gove looks like an enormous stitch up by MPs to keep Boris away from the membership.

I can see May as PM with Gove given special job in cabinet to deal with Brexit

they always seem to end up with the leader their party needs the least if you follow, because they get so busy politicking/scheming to vote against the candidate they bear the most grudges against, they end up grouping around the outside candidate..

Id thought May would be the one who took the "Anyone but Boris" group votes, but its clear they dont think much of her either and encouraged Gove to stand, knowing it would also block totally Boris ambitions, revenge for the leave vote ?, who theyve obviously calculated they dont need to secure a general election victory anymore given the state of the opposition, and then you think Camerons clearly scripted reply telling Corbyn to go, to which the left of the Labour party responded by immediately saying so hes got to stay then...

...schemes within schemes this stuff, make for a good HBO show this ;)

so Gove will probably now be out flanked by Boris' supporters upset by todays machinations, who wont go for May however suddenly Brexit sounding she comes across, theyll have to choose between the other 3, but Im not sure anymore they used to say a week was a long time in politics, this last week its felt like 30mins was a long time.

I reckon Leadsom has a really good shout on this now because she has the least baggage of the candidates and actually seems to be polling well among Tory grass roots.

You may be right or it could be an even bigger stitch up. May/ Gove get to the last two whereupon in the spirit of unity Gove steps aside for May.

If they can keep the "cure gays" candidate away from the party members then May will win it. Being Home Sec is normally a poisoned chalice for the Tories ,as you can't deliver the hangings, but she goes down well at conference.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,752
    ....but she goes down well at conference.

Well that's one way to secure votes I suppose! :shock:
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Hurr
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    orraloon wrote:
    What I don't understand, if immigrants are the root of all our woes, coming over 'ere, takin' all our jobs etc etc, how does Gove get to be a candidate for PM? That's Michael Edinburgh born, Aberdeen raised, can't quite get rid of the accent Gove, that is.

If wee Ed Millipede was viewed as in the pockets of the Scots so unelectable, here comes another of them Sweaties. How does that fit with the England for the English vibe of many of the Leavers?

Just asking like :wink:

The English generally don't mind the Scots.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,873
    Joelsim wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    A simple question for either party candidates.
    Do you want to be the leader that takes the UK out of the EU? Anyone answering yes is eliminated.

Not according to the Chairman of the Welsh Conservatives earlier in the week. As I posted previously "He voted remain. He's quite clear that he (and it seems all the selectors) will want a PM with a clear vision of how to proceed and, in his view, that should be membership of the EEA and the Common Market. That's his minimum position and one shared by very many of his colleagues. On top of that he said he would Counsel any candidate who had "had their picture taken in front of the bus" that, whilst it was not a manifesto, it should be respected."

Why does the next leader have to take us out of the EU?
    They don't. My (hidden?) point was that anyone so power hungry that they don't care about the consequences should be eliminated. Possibly permanently. And yes, I include DC.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686

:lol::lol::lol:

F'king hell, he looks like he's had a 10 year old's arms transplanted onto his body. Doesn't half put Ed Milliband's bacon sandwich moment into the shade.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    He looks like one of those puppets out of Thunderbirds or Capt Scarlet... maybe even Capt Backstabber.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,957
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    A simple question for either party candidates.
    Do you want to be the leader that takes the UK out of the EU? Anyone answering yes is eliminated.

Not according to the Chairman of the Welsh Conservatives earlier in the week. As I posted previously "He voted remain. He's quite clear that he (and it seems all the selectors) will want a PM with a clear vision of how to proceed and, in his view, that should be membership of the EEA and the Common Market. That's his minimum position and one shared by very many of his colleagues. On top of that he said he would Counsel any candidate who had "had their picture taken in front of the bus" that, whilst it was not a manifesto, it should be respected."

Why does the next leader have to take us out of the EU?
    They don't. My (hidden?) point was that anyone so power hungry that they don't care about the consequences should be eliminated. Possibly permanently. And yes, I include DC.

That was part of a Bill Hicks piece wasn't it...that anyone so desperate to be elected to president should be automatically excluded and the best candidate would be someone who has to be dragged kicking and screaming into the Whitehouse to do the job.
  • pblakeney
    That was part of a Bill Hicks piece wasn't it...that anyone so desperate to be elected to president should be automatically excluded and the best candidate would be someone who has to be dragged kicking and screaming into the Whitehouse to do the job.
    May be lurking in my subconscious as I like Bill Hicks.
    But that would be giving credit to my memory. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bobmcstuff
    May takes support from a couple more and the Daily Heil - probably has a strong readership in their electorate...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    May the best woman win.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • pblakeney
    Gove is there as a patsy purely to give the illusion of choice.
    May is a shoe in.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Voter apathy:

I see Boris is still doing well here. People can't be bothered to change their vote.

Michael Portillo was pretty scathing about Boris on This Week last night, smething along the lines of "thanks to Michael Gove I can start breathing again" but then he was pretty scathing about the "professional political class" that occupies both main parties.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    PBlakeney wrote:
    May be lurking in my subconscious as I like Bill Hicks.
    But that would be giving credit to my memory. :wink:

Douglas Adams put forward something similar in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Just listening to Gove's speech.. I feel sick, alright he did us a favour in destroying Boris, surely the tories that have the vote will/have seen through this guy. Hopefully it's May to win and make the best of a bad job.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    I'd pick Berlusconi over any of them... and I detest Berlusconi
    left the forum March 2023
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Just listening to Gove's speech.. I feel sick, alright he did us a favour in destroying Boris, surely the tories that have the vote will/have seen through this guy. Hopefully it's May to win and make the best of a bad job.

me too, the guy is a complete berk, no he doesnt have charisma or glamour or indeed integrity.

who the fcuk has been in power and has he listened to the uk scientific community re EU funding?

more spending on nhs, a £100million per week, innovation and education? what with Michael ? get Mark to print some more money?, has he not taken any notice of the growth forecasts?

i have never before seriously thought about emigrating but this guy is going make it happen for 1000's of brits.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I see Gove is on the ticket for a different type of politics. The politics of change. All I can think is that he's had his smile muscles surgically removed so as not to inadvertently smirk when saying it.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ugo.santalucia
    mamba80 wrote:
    i have never before seriously thought about emigrating but this guy is going make it happen for 1000's of brits.

... and non Brits. I have drawn a line on a couple of friends who voted leave, I will never talk to them again... I just can't. The pound loses appeal and I've always been uncomfortable in living on an island. Luckily I found out my wife can become Italian with not too much hassle and only 250 Euro cost, so the doors of the EU are still very much open to us. Nothing will happen in the next 12 months for a number of reasons, but I can see us making a move in the not so distant future.
    Been on the Island too long and it was a mistake and I knew it even before the referendum, now it's just become obvious.

I guess one has to turn the table and see tihs as a great opportunity... do you want me to adopt you? :wink:
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    mamba80 wrote:

... and non Brits. I have drawn a line on a couple of friends who voted leave, I will never talk to them again... I just can't. The pound loses appeal and I've always been uncomfortable in living on an island. Luckily I found out my wife can become Italian with not too much hassle and only 250 Euro cost, so the doors of the EU are still very much open to us. Nothing will happen in the next 12 months for a number of reasons, but I can see us making a move in the not so distant future.
    Been on the Island too long and it was a mistake and I knew it even before the referendum, now it's just become obvious.

I guess one has to turn the table and see tihs as a great opportunity... do you want me to adopt you? :wink:

Yes please Ugo.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    My Mrs is a Dentist so that's fairly secure. After all, she's about to get more NHS funding, right?

Me, not so much, I can do law in any commonwealth country but don't really fancy re-training at this stage. Otherwise I would be quite seriously looking at it. Eldest has GCSE's as well, so not the best time.

As a side not that Art 50 button looks like being dusty for a while yet. Particularly since austerity now being potentially reversed, surplus abandoned, QE cranking up.

And everyone now seems to love Mark Carney, who it appears is an expert.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ugo.santalucia
    My Mrs is a Dentist so that's fairly secure. After all, she's about to get more NHS funding, right?

Me, not so much, I can do law in any commonwealth country but don't really fancy re-training at this stage. Otherwise I would be quite seriously looking at it. Eldest has GCSE's as well, so not the best time.

As a side not that Art 50 button looks like being dusty for a while yet. Particularly since austerity now being potentially reversed, surplus abandoned, QE cranking up.

And everyone now seems to love Mark Carney, who it appears is an expert.

I think I got over art. 50. It's not about whether the Uk will be part of the EU, the EEA or neither... for me it's about the feeling of living in a nation that does not share my vision, does not share my aspirations and ultimately where I have no longer any desire to live long term. Convenience means that it might take a while for a move to happen, longer than I would like, but it will happen.
    I can see immigration will be organically resolved as people will not want to come here anymore... after the show over the past 7 days, who in the EU is stupid enough to still want to come to the UK?

First test will be tourism from the EU over the next few months... the weak pound means it should go up, I bet it will go down... resentment is stronger than currency...
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Having a wife from Slovakia, my big fear now is that the UK will go for a political showdown over freedom of movement, one which we are bound to lose. If that happens, it'll be a massive national humiliation, and I can foresee a HUGE backlash against immigrants.

Let's face it, Brexiteers aren't going to blame themselves for falling for the lies, they aren't going to blame the politicians or the media for telling them lies, they're going to go for a nice, easy scapegoat. If that happens, I'm certainly not going to stick around for it.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    finchy wrote:
    Having a wife from Slovakia, my big fear now is that the UK will go for a political showdown over freedom of movement, one which we are bound to lose. If that happens, it'll be a massive national humiliation, and I can foresee a HUGE backlash against immigrants.

Let's face it, Brexiteers aren't going to blame themselves for falling for the lies, they aren't going to blame the politicians or the media for telling them lies, they're going to go for a nice, easy scapegoat. If that happens, I'm certainly not going to stick around for it.

Not sure that'll happen anytime soon, far too much of a hot potato at this point in time, and would be political suicide for anyone who suggested it.

Rightly or wrongly.

The 2016 Alf Garnett is how it'll be seen in decades to come.
  • bobmcstuff
    Think the issue is migration is a huge part of our GDP growth at the moment - when the migration stops, it's going to have a big impact on growth.