Euro 2016

Comments

• joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Only just looked at the highlights. Now I've seen more than enough sport to know refs make mistakes but how on earth was no penalty awarded in the first half to the Irish? About 40 secs into the video.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36603382
    I just can't see how the referee thinks otherwise, it's astonishing. Plus if he thought it was dive he should have booked the player so clearly he just slopey shouldered his way out of it.

Howard Webb was on the panel at half time, and his considered view was that the referee would have seen that the defender did get a foot to the ball, so in his view it was not a stone wall penalty.

Of course, the touch was after the push, so it was a penalty, but he could see why it wasn't given in real time.

I haven't seen it mentioned, but it struck me that Turkey must be really p***ed that the Italians didn't bother playing, and letting the Irish have an easy game.

If England had gone out in similar circumstances to Turkey we'd never hear the last of it.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,957
    Admittedly I go for mute at half time and make tea so didn't hear Webb. I would've thought though that at that level the referee should be able to work out that the angle means the defender could only get a touch with a foul? Still, didn't cost anything in the end.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Admittedly I go for mute at half time and make tea so didn't hear Webb. I would've thought though that at that level the referee should be able to work out that the angle means the defender could only get a touch with a foul? Still, didn't cost anything in the end.

Yep, Andy Townsend said as much, if not as many words, on the resumption of commentary... unfortunately, Webb had disappeared at full time, so couldn't respond.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have not watched a single match yet not really a fan but i would watch a england vs wales or NI final that would be funny. Better if its england vs wales.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,853
    I have not watched a single match yet not really a fan but i would watch a england vs wales or NI final that would be funny. Better if its england vs wales.
    Obviously. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Looks like Sterling's back in the starting line-up tonight, Kane and Sturridge up top with him apparently.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    It's worth bearing in mind that Iceland only started playing on grass pitches in 1953 - before that they played on crush volcanic rock.

On a brighter note, a team so far, far, far better in every respect than Engggeeerrrrllland beat Spain 2-0 tonight in a display of sheer class.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,428
    Well, this is going swimmingly...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,883
    Pinno wrote:
    Well, this is going swimmingly...

With concrete shoes
  • verylonglegs
    Best thing for me about being a fan of football, rugby and cricket as far as England goes is that there is a chance at least one of them will be successful at the time.
  • pinno
    Best thing for me about being a fan of football, rugby and cricket as far as England goes is that there is a chance at least one of them will be successful at the time.

Add cycling to your list and you could be on the route to spread betting happiness.

We are shyte BTW (at footy).

Vardy's coming on...
  • pinno
    We're fooked.
  • Matthewfalle
    Ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha what a wonderful result. Your lot are soooooooooo rubbish.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

2nd coolest team in the competition smashes the millionaire arrogant chavs. How wonderful.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • verylonglegs
    Pinno wrote:

Add cycling to your list and you could be on the route to spread betting happiness.

Vardy's coming on...

Oh I love cycling too but it's one sport where I don't carry over any national allegiances, I just enjoy it without supporting countries or individuals. I think that is down to the fact that when I first starting watching cycling in the mid/late nineties there were no GB cyclists in the pro peleton to back anyway. It was also a welcome break too though, to watch something and know you'd enjoy it whatever the outcome.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,726
    I blame the EU.

Oh hang on, Iceland aren't in it.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,845
    I'd demand a recount, if I was English.
    Out of Europe twice in one week.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,357
    Ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha what a wonderful result. Your lot are soooooooooo rubbish.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

2nd coolest team in the competition smashes the millionaire arrogant chavs. How wonderful.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

Vardy's coming on...

Oh I love cycling too but it's one sport where I don't carry over any national allegiances, I

I think I am the same for the same reasons. The stage that hooked me was stage 6 of the TdF rattling across the cobbles of northern France on a dusty narrow road with the horns and the mesmerising din and seeming confusion. Remember this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IMjb6sU5Mg
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,484
    We've gone for brexit so may as well be all in...

Those cunts should be ashamed to wear the shirt.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Got to feel sorry for Wales now. Voted out, but they're the only ffycwyrs left in it!
  • pinno
    Garry H wrote:
    Got to feel sorry for Wales now. Voted out, but they're the only ffycwyrs left in it!

:D
  • Matthewfalle
    TDV has just commented on how every time the TDV man says "enggggerrrlannnd have lost to Iceland" I am cracking myself laughing.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • verylonglegs
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Vardy's coming on...

Oh I love cycling too but it's one sport where I don't carry over any national allegiances, I

I think I am the same for the same reasons. The stage that hooked me was stage 6 of the TdF rattling across the cobbles of northern France on a dusty narrow road with the horns and the mesmerising din and seeming confusion. Remember this?:

Yes. To the point that when my parents heard it they knew what time of year it was. My dad now watches a bit of cycling as a result of those years.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Vardy's coming on...

Yes. To the point that when my parents heard it they knew what time of year it was. My dad now watches a bit of cycling as a result of those years.

You got the TdF once a year, it was the only cycling on TV (b4stards). The club I was in used to set off at 6.35 sharp to allow everyone to watch it but it was a form of torture - the rest of the time, the best you could hope for was a copy of the comic and a few colour photo's.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,692
    England team head home quickly

Muppets-Group-Bicycle-Ride.jpg
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    In 3 months time footy fans will be singing the praises of these same donkeys when they turn out for their PL clubs.
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    In 3 months time footy fans will be singing the praises of these same donkeys when they turn out for their PL clubs.

I understand a few witty chants and songs are already being "composed" by Evertonians ready for the imminent arrival of Tottenham and their back bone of English under performers for the opening day of the EPL

Not sure if I'm relieved that Stones and Barkley played not a single minute during the campaign or worried that as crap as the rest of the squad were (who all got at least some game time) they were deemed not good enough by Roy.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,692
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Yep, but they will play much better for their clubs (can't really play much worse can they?)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    It's a good job he rested those players against Slovakia, just imagine how much worse is would have been if they were tired.
  • Matthewfalle
    Ballysmate wrote:

Agree completely - and when they beat Slovakia 1-0 in September it'll be the resurgence of the great Lions again or some such sycophantic ITV bullshiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I think the English national team would probably perform a lot better if they realise that they were pretty average: take the pressure of them selves as "world beaters" as they blatantly, obviously aren't.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.