Euro 2016

my_grandadʹs_bike
my_grandadʹs_bike Posts: 1,300
edited September 2016 in The bottom bracket
Thread to dicuss the footy at the Euros'

Are you looking forward to it?

Expectations for England, Wales, NI, Eire and Scot...? - whoops sorry Scotland not there :lol:

Possible starting line ups, controversy, hooliganism, pictues of euro 2016 girls ( wont be a patch on the Copa America girls).

Personally looking forward to it with a very low expectation of England doing well (happy to be proved wrong mind).

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    England have to get to the quarters as a minimum. Anything else is a bonus. The only other thing that bothers me is that Hodgson will do anything to give Rooney a game even where that forces him to play better players out of position or on the bench - e.g. Vardy as winger to accommodate Rooney having to play. I sad a few days ago that Brailsford used Marginal Gains to maximise his chances, but Hodgson seems to prefer Marginal Losses by not even getting the best out of what he's got.

Are Finland there? That would give a huge lift to the Euro2016 girls options.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,256
    I'll get interested once the qualifiers are over.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,783
    CiB wrote:
    England have to get to the quarters as a minimum. Anything else is a bonus. The only other thing that bothers me is that Hodgson will do anything to give Rooney a game even where that forces him to play better players out of position or on the bench - e.g. Vardy as winger to accommodate Rooney having to play. I sad a few days ago that Brailsford used Marginal Gains to maximise his chances, but Hodgson seems to prefer Marginal Losses by not even getting the best out of what he's got.

Pretty much sums it up.
    Italian girls?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    From a purely selfish point of view I hope England go out at the group stages. I fly out on holiday on 20th which is the date of our last group game. Nothing worse than Neanderthal fans crowding into bars and cafes to watch the football, shouting and swearing at the TV, regardless of who is around.
    I see there has been trouble in Marseilles already. Well who'd have thunk it? :roll:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited June 2016
    PBlakeney wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Pretty much sums it up.
    Italian girls?
    If it was a toss up between an Italian girl and a Fin, I'd be chuffed to bits just to be there.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I just hope it's a good tournament, with plenty of goals - not really that mithered about how Engerland do tbh (and I am English). I actually prefer the group stages - three games a day for the first week or so! When the knock-out stages begin you start to go a bit cold turkey on days when there are no games on.

I hope Wales will do well - they've got the best song anyway, so that's half the battle. :lol:
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I wish they wouldn't drag it out so long. If Tennis slams are over in a fortnight, why can't the Euros do the same
  • mrfpb wrote:
    I wish they wouldn't drag it out so long. If Tennis slams are over in a fortnight, why can't the Euros do the same

Spoilsport - it's a test every two years (along with the world cup) of a strong marriage/relationship :wink:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    iel6c4.jpg

Well said Michael :shock:
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    As posted in the pro race forum - De Gea and Isco sent home from tournament because of alleged involvement in sex scandal.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Classic line from England supporter today:

"Then they fired tear gas and we couldn't see anything and it really hurt".

I presume that this happened after the "ISIS we love you" chanting.

Aaahhh, the English fan abroad, eh .......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    They never ever hit the hooligans hard enough. A lot of them are white collar workers going silly in the sun on pints of wife beater. F*cking disgrace.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Pinno wrote:
    They never ever hit the hooligans hard enough. A lot of them are white collar workers going silly in the sun on pints of wife beater. F*cking disgrace.

Agreed. As much of an English fan as I am I'd happily tune in to a TV channel where the French coppers wade in with the big sticks and really crack some skulls, solid entertainment surely? Why do the thicko types amongst this nation still tag themselves on to football?
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

Agreed. As much of an English fan as I am I'd happily tune in to a TV channel where the French coppers wade in with the big sticks and really crack some skulls, solid entertainment surely? Why do the thicko types amongst this nation still tag themselves on to football?

But that's the thing - remember the clashes in Belgium when they Co-Hosted with Holland? The protagonists consisted of Lawyers and qualified people amongst others.

Yep - 'Hooligan Bash of the Day'. Would be good.
  • pblakeney
    Worrying thought. These *people have a vote.

*By people, I mean cunts.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Classic line from England supporter today:

"Then they fired tear gas and we couldn't see anything and it really hurt".

I presume that this happened after the "ISIS we love you" chanting.

Aaahhh, the English fan abroad, eh .......

It's not always clear cut. I went to World Cup 2006 with some friends, the first night in Cologne we were having a great time with thousands of other fans. We didn't see any trouble whatsoever, obviously lots of singing etc was going on. Then the riot police turned up and within 5 minutes baton charged to disperse the crowd.

The next day it was reported in the press as trouble, except there wasn't any! Obviously it happens and there are plenty of Neanderthal England fans, but not on that occasion. In fact I've got loads of photos of us with a group of German fans that we spent the next evening with.
  • Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

But that's the thing - remember the clashes in Belgium when they Co-Hosted with Holland? The protagonists consisted of Lawyers and qualified people amongst others.

Mmm - anyone heard or seen Stevo lately? :D
  • Matthewfalle
    My word that was dull this evening - I must admit though that I kept on flicking onto Smokey and the Bandit and that was eminently enjoyable.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    Gratifying to hear post match analysis is that the main problem tonight was taking Rooney off.
    Yup, things are that bad. :roll: :shock: :roll:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Cheeky tw@t :)

I was watching it down the pub in Waterloo.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    'Waterloo' - is that what they called the fisty cuffs with the Russians in Marseilles?
    Pretty sure you should have called it Crimea - the return.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    'Waterloo' - is that what they called the fisty cuffs with the Russians in Marseilles?
    Pretty sure you should have called it Crimea - the return.
    Somewhere where we beat the garlic munchers apparently. Great name for a Eurostar teminal.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

You starting hey ....?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

You starting hey ....?

201201_2012.02.20_NME_PlanB_270201212.jpg
  • Stevo_666
    Or maybe...

calmdown.png

:wink:
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I fully expected my disappointment at this tournament to be focused on Rooney but he actually played his role quite well last night. Sterling however..my word he was awful. Hopefully he gets replaced for the game against Wales.
  • pinno
    I fully expected my disappointment at this tournament to be focused on Rooney but he actually played his role quite well last night. Sterling however..my word he was awful. Hopefully he gets replaced for the game against Wales.

Yes, why not Vardy? Is he injured?
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Well Mrs VArdy is finding the life of WAG is not living up to expectations. seems to be clear police overreaction/preemptave strikes against England supporters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-le ... e-36506553
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    I'm starting to get into this, despite not really having much interest in football. Finished watching the Dauphine and turned over to watch the Croatia/Turkey game. That Croatian first half goal was laugh out loud brilliant.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Matthewfalle
    mrfpb wrote:
    Well Mrs VArdy is finding the life of WAG is not living up to expectations. seems to be clear police overreaction/preemptave strikes against England supporters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-le ... e-36506553

Pre what?

Error - no, it's not overreaction. It's how they do it over there.

You don't want to be clubbed/gassed: don't be a twaaaaaat. Simples, innit.

Always the victim, never to blame.....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.