Euro 2016

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Back on T.

Watching the Germany v Ukraine game which has been pretty good so far. Germany looking good, Kroos doing a bit of a masterclass in creative midfield play.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Ireland v Sweden - ends in a 1-1 draw and Sweden didn't get a shot on target (according to Gary Lineker). Great performance from Ireland, but what a mistake for the OG.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    mrfpb wrote:
    Ireland v Sweden - ends in a 1-1 draw and Sweden didn't get a shot on target (according to Gary Lineker). Great performance from Ireland, but what a mistake for the OG.
    Defender had to do something.
    Unfortunately, that something went terribly wrong.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrfpb
    PBlakeney wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

Agree. Good thing he's not an England player, as he would have death threats on Twitter by now.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Why are Portugal playing the Allied team from Escape to Victory?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Italy are back in training already after last night's win over Belgium:

https://youtu.be/9ukFUEI5qz8
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    PBlakeney wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    Leicester (Andy King iirc) scored an almost identical og equaliser for Everton last Feb, in the depth of the 'should be getting something from these games but can't buy a win at the minute' run that eventually came good. As PB says, the defender has to do something, with an attacker over his shoulder ready for the tap-in. It's clever attacking play to force a defender into that lose-lose position.

Bit miffed at this competition so far - after an excess of football on tv watching Leicester [gawd bless em] close in on the title from around March to mid-May oh & me had an agreement of sorts not to watch every kick esp the early group matches, and reports are that the games are brilliant; Germany on Sunday, Belg/It on Monday, Port/Ice last night. Might be time to reappraise the concord... :)

Spking of Leicester, Hart needs to work on his positioning. Russia's late equaliser was identical to Huth's 2nd in the 1-3 win at the Etihad in Feb, when he planted a header up & over Hart in exactly the same spot. Hope there's no Welshy's reading this to pass it on, and that Hart reads it & does notice... :)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    CiB wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    Leicester...A PB says, the defender has to do something, with an attacker over his shoulder ready for the tap-in. It's clever attacking play to force a defender into that lose-lose position.

Yes, but the defender was facing goal. He has to be quick so that he can turn sideways or even the other way. John Terry was good at this (hate to say it) who's not a giant had that ability to in the right place - orientation is critical.
    British Defenders (trained in UK) have been traditionally large, tall and not very nimble (Terry Butcher anyone?). Italian defenders have been traditionally more agile. Franco Baresi, only 1m76 and possibly one of the best defenders who ever lived.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    CiB wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    Leicester (Andy King iirc) scored an almost identical og equaliser for Everton last Feb, in the depth of the 'should be getting something from these games but can't buy a win at the minute' run that eventually came good. As PB says, the defender has to do something, with an attacker over his shoulder ready for the tap-in. It's clever attacking play to force a defender into that lose-lose position.

Bit miffed at this competition so far - after an excess of football on tv watching Leicester [gawd bless em] close in on the title from around March to mid-May oh & me had an agreement of sorts not to watch every kick esp the early group matches, and reports are that the games are brilliant; Germany on Sunday, Belg/It on Monday, Port/Ice last night. Might be time to reappraise the concord... :)

Spking of Leicester, Hart needs to work on his positioning. Russia's late equaliser was identical to Huth's 2nd in the 1-3 win at the Etihad in Feb, when he planted a header up & over Hart in exactly the same spot. Hope there's no Welshy's reading this to pass it on, and that Hart reads it & does notice... :)

Hart should stick to shampoo adverts and leave goal keeping to someone who can. Nearly ever time the ball was passed back to him, he the kicked it into touch. His distribution is 8l00dy awful. And that equalising goal from the Reds, I've seen house bricks with more movement.
    Stick someone else in between the sticks.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pblakeney
    Pesky Icelanders!
    Imagine having the cheek to play a defensive game. :lol::lol::lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Pinno wrote:
    John Terry was good at this (hate to say it)
    Quoted for posterity...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    Leicester...A PB says, the defender has to do something, with an attacker over his shoulder ready for the tap-in. It's clever attacking play to force a defender into that lose-lose position.

Yes, but the defender was facing goal. He has to be quick so that he can turn sideways or even the other way. John Terry was good at this (hate to say it) who's not a giant had that ability to in the right place - orientation is critical.
    British Defenders (trained in UK) have been traditionally large, tall and not very nimble (Terry Butcher anyone?). Italian defenders have been traditionally more agile. Franco Baresi, only 1m76 and possibly one of the best defenders who ever lived.

Fabio Cannavaro. 1m 76 and the best defender of all time.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    So you lot agree?!

I'm saving that for posterity too.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    The draw against Russia is looking a good result...
  • mrfpb
    The fans seem to be behaving themselves, which would be a positive if I wasn't hoping Wales could get an extra day off. Not sure how they would calculate the points if Russia went home after two games.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:
    So you lot agree?!

I'm saving that for posterity too.

I said it first, so they are agreeing with me.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    TF1 commentary rocks.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrfpb
    England 4 - 2 Wales in my house - that's the number of suppporters.
  • orraloon
    See Ronaldo, that's how to do it.
  • orraloon
    Ps Bring on Vardy...
  • mrfpb
    :D:D
  • pblakeney
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Hart should stick to shampoo adverts and leave goal keeping to someone who can. Nearly ever time the ball was passed back to him, he the kicked it into touch. His distribution is 8l00dy awful. And that equalising goal from the Reds, I've seen house bricks with more movement.
    Stick someone else in between the sticks.
    Oops!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    This is shocking. Kane seems to thinks he's not allowed in the box, Walker closes his eyes and hopes every time he bangs a ball in from the right, and Sterling, wtf is he doing out there? Stuff all, that's what.

It's dire, and the bloke who scores for fun is sitting on the bench wondering how bad Sterling has to be before being allowed 12 minutes at the end. FFS.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,231
    Thoughts on a replacement for Roy?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • orraloon
    Interesting. Vardy and Sturridge.
  • orraloon
    orraloon wrote:
    Ps Bring on Vardy...
    Yip, 10 minutes on the field.
  • Matthewfalle
    Just got back in from work so missed it.

How rubbish were Enggggeeeerrrland's post golden generation golden generation?

Anyhow, a belated C'mon Wales , stick it to the English peasants from Casa MF.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    orraloon wrote:
    Interesting. Vardy and Sturridge.

*Applause*
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence