Canyon - Waited 8 months for my order

Comments

• Dizeee
    Dizeee Posts: 337
    Well I have now cancelled the order that was due in May, and bought from their in stock range, and paid. And, I have forgotten to enter my customer reference number - so thats going to be interesting.
  • The factory in Klobenz (very charming city, well worth a poke around) is only a days drive from Calais...

Can you not arrange factory collection and link it into a weekend away with the missus? :D
  • Dizeee
    Good idea but not possible really... shift workers with kids and no money gets in the way.
  • Dizeee
    Already the chat function is starting to annoy. Numerous times over the last few weeks I have gone to use it and-

All of our representatives are currently engaged in other chats. Please try back in a few minutes.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Four month wait?

I don't know what is worse, that people think a four month wait for a bike is acceptable or that a company thinks a four month wait for a bike is acceptable.

There has to be bikes out there of the same quality and price that don't involve waiting for the Summer to get it. If you get it. I'm stunned this company is still operating.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    I wonder if the delays creeping back in has anything to do with them moving production of some models from Giant to Quest Composites?
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    Matt_N wrote:
    I wonder if the delays creeping back in has anything to do with them moving production of some models from Giant to Quest Composites?
    That is interesting that quest also seem to produce Trek frames too. For some reason i thought Giant produced Trek frames (no idea why i thought this)
    This quote taken direct from quest website -
    Quest is a key partner to the best bike companies in the world-Trek and Canyon. From advanced research to R&D and mass production, Quest ensures the bikes are produced with the highest quality and performance standard. We are proud to be producing some of the bikes that have won the world's biggest races.
  • Dizeee
    I guess the 4 month wait is because they release details of the bike before it has been built - the Endurace AL Disc that has this wait is a new model, and basically you are pre ordering it. As for other bikes being out there of the same spec, quality and weight, I looked but could not find. The closest I got was Merida ( Reacto ) but it had no discs plus I knew deep down I wanted the Canyon.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    ChippyK wrote:
    Four month wait?

I don't know what is worse, that people think a four month wait for a bike is acceptable or that a company thinks a four month wait for a bike is acceptable.

There has to be bikes out there of the same quality and price that don't involve waiting for the Summer to get it. If you get it. I'm stunned this company is still operating.

If they were a super amazing better than absolutely everything else bike I could understand , but they aren't . If fact they're a bit dull tbh. Yes the speedmax and Aeroad look fast but the Ultimate is, well, just so zzzzz dull to look at. Nothing about it excites me in any way . It may ride amazingly but that's not exclusive to Canyon so why oh why bother ?
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Dizeee wrote:
    I guess the 4 month wait is because they release details of the bike before it has been built - the Endurace AL Disc that has this wait is a new model, and basically you are pre ordering it. As for other bikes being out there of the same spec, quality and weight, I looked but could not find. The closest I got was Merida ( Reacto ) but it had no discs plus I knew deep down I wanted the Canyon.

If the 4 month wait was in reference to my comment then that was exactly the reason. Fairly new model (Endurace SLX) which like all the others they build in batches and that batch was set to be built around 3 months after I ordered. All up front on the website before you order.

Happy to wait for the right bike. Waited a similar time for my last couple of cars. No different. Bad communication and delays on the other hand would have me reaching for the cancel button.
  • Dizeee
    Well Canyon have had my money since last week and I have heard nothing or had any confirmation of receipt. Their online chat tool is permanently unavailable and having tried their UK support phone number I am permanently on hold trying to get through and have not managed to do so yet.

I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Dizeee wrote:
    Well Canyon have had my money since last week and I have heard nothing or had any confirmation of receipt. Their online chat tool is permanently unavailable and having tried their UK support phone number I am permanently on hold trying to get through and have not managed to do so yet.

Their chat was popping up all the time last week when I was looking for a carbon rail converter for my seat post. Emailed them and got a response the next day from the UK team. Order and invoice etc was created within the hour.

Try an email and don't be put off by the automated 'we're busy it may take us days to respond' response.
  • Dizeee wrote:

I've always got through within a few minutes on the UK number, It does take them a few working days to send confirmation and money is taken until UPS tracking number generated. All they do is put a "hold" on the allocated funds.
  • Ridiculous. It's a German bike mail order company. I hear nothing but good things about the bikes ......... but it is a frame. There are dozens of frame importers you can choose.

I wonder just how many companies have put their logo on a Dedacciai frame for example!

What ever next British people be buying Hitlers favorite tailor and Italian piss water beer. Wait we do ..............
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Only read a couple of comments but JSUS, 8 mo this waiting on something I could walk into an LBS and get a better bike for the same money. Whats so special about Canyon?
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    To be fair I ordered a Orbea Orca at the beginning of Jan for the summer with a March lead time has jumped to mid May. It wont be long before 2018 bikes are released and 2017 reduced at this rate.
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    mac9091 wrote:
    Only read a couple of comments but JSUS, 8 mo this waiting on something I could walk into an LBS and get a better bike for the same money. Whats so special about Canyon?

I, for one, don't really know. Every bit of praise I have seen has related to what you get for the money. However, to me, they don't actually seem that inexpensive. People do seem to put up with the delivery times though.

I guess riding one would help to identify what makes them special. I don't know how to get a test ride though without going to Germany or buying one. :)

It doesn't help that their Youtube partner GCN (joke) keep plugging Canyon products. Yes, they have done some Trek stuff more recently, but they seem to have a lot of Canyon content. Maybe they do build good bikes and that is why they use them? :P
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I would buy a Canyon if I had the money. I rode an original di2 Aeroad for a week 4 years ago and it was a great bike. I can only guess they would be even better now.
  • Dizeee
    Well they have genuinely angered me now. I am having to repeatedly chase my order which is due to ship in a few days, yet I have not even had confirmation of payment. I know they have received it as I asked and have spoken on the phone to them, but I have had not a sausage of contact from them.

used their online chat tool today and amazingly got through. I explained how I am feeling disappointed with lack of contact, and it was intimated the bike may now be delayed, and the chat agent told me he would contact Germany and get back to me later today. Of course and predictably that has not happened, so I am really quite pissed off now at the basic let down of continually not being contacted or dealt with.

Unsure at what point I can ask for a refund, money is now in Germany with them and I am at their mercy.
  • 'Canyon, steed of the patient bargain hunter'
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    They really aren't the best VFM that they used to be. You can more often than not find a reduced CAAD/Supersix Evo for several hundred pounds cheaper than the equivalent spec Canyon.
  • Dizeee
    Emailed today saying bike has been shipped. We shall soon see what all the fuss is about
  • Dizeee
    Well it arrived and earlier than I expected too. Total wait time from clicking purchase to riding it has been around 15 days. happy with that
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Hmm, ordered an Endurace yesterday. 4-8 September build.

Received all the necessary confirmation emails last night, apparently it's leaving the factory 17-21 July.

Which is, odd. It's hard to despatch it earlier than I ordered it (and back in time). And it needs building.

Maybe an error. I didn't really want it till September. Reverse Canyon problems.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
    On the face of it they look great bikes, but I would at least want to sit on one before handing over the wonga. The other thing that worries me about Canyon, it's one thing waiting months for your bike, but what happens if you have a problem while under warrentee.
  • bendertherobot
    On the face of it they look great bikes, but I would at least want to sit on one before handing over the wonga. The other thing that worries me about Canyon, it's one thing waiting months for your bike, but what happens if you have a problem while under warrentee.

You contact them and send it back. Ditto Merlin, Wiggle, CRC, etc.....

Fortunately I've already owned one and it was brilliant. So happy in the knowledge this will fit, it's all good.
  • bendertherobot
    LOL, got an email telling me that my order is delayed until 4th September.

Which is fine, as it's the date I wanted and the date which was originally promised.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    LOL, got an email telling me that my order is delayed until 4th September.

Which is fine, as it's the date I wanted and the date which was originally promised.

Only SAP could delay an order until it's original delivery date. That takes some special software engineering...
  • bendertherobot
    Yep. I'm relieved, to be honest. But it's a slight worry so early in the process. Anyhow, I don't need it till next May, so I'm sure all will be ok.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    It's important for a company like Canyon to keep their wait times high, they thrive on hype around their name and so people will wait 8 months to part with thousands of pounds because it's exclusive.

The day when you can get a bike ordered and delivered within a week will be the day when Canyon is no longer attractive to those kind of buyers and they will be just another brand.