Canyon - Waited 8 months for my order

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Are you basing that on anything SC? It really doesnt seem like their order book is that empty...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Why on earth would you keep 10,000 bikes in stock? Particularly when you have issues meeting customer orders. If you're building up that kind of stock you've taken someone's back ordered mech hanger.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    10,000 bikes in stock means sweet FA other than to convey size, scale and intent.

If they have weekly orders of 12,000 bikes it doesn't look so rosy, nor when you overlay the delivery issues which seem so prevalent.

No one likes to see a company and therefore the employees suffer but when the aptitude or attitude of a business is consistently questioned by their customers with no improvement in service delivery the problems are much more than cosmetic and then goes to the long term viability of the business and their ability to honour warranty claims
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • ddraver
    Depends if you have 50,000 orders or not.... (or what Slow said)

As I said, 2 clubmates have ordered their Ultimate SLXs and everything went as expected. The reality is most people DO NOT experience problems. This isnt a lot different from the Blame Wiggle threads
    - @ddraver
  • bendertherobot
    ddraver wrote:
    Depends if you have 50,000 orders or not.... (or what Slow said)

As I said, 2 clubmates have ordered their Ultimate SLXs and everything went as expected. The reality is most people DO NOT experience problems. This isnt a lot different from the Blame Wiggle threads

It's pretty different. We blame Wiggle for everything. Canyon are getting away with not being blamed for anything other than the stuff they don't do. That has to change. :D
  • ddraver
    well I was trying to be serious but....
    - @ddraver
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    i hate to think what the demand for the 2017 Ultimate Disc will be.
  • bendertherobot
    ddraver wrote:
    well I was trying to be serious but....

It's very hard to gauge. Twitter isn't necessarily awash but have a look at canyon delay and the first one that comes up. Just shoddy. Facebook has elements, but it's not overwhelming. And this isn't the longest thread ever.

On that anecdotal evidence I'd say there wasn't a huge amount to worry about. Yet they made that apology........
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Except that this isn't even the only thread on issues with Canyon delivery here on BR.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • bendertherobot
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Except that this isn't even the only thread on issues with Canyon delivery here on BR.

No. There are quite a few more. But, as vocal as I have been, it is simply not possible to ascertain how much of an issue that it is statistically
  • i hate to think what the demand for the 2017 Ultimate Disc will be.

Do they make a Ti bike yet?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    Bender.

Pick a bike. Any Bike. Maybe one with a 6-8 week delivery time (So beginning of Summer)

Post the experience on your blog -as it progresses- (emitting details that might identify the order)

- If it gets to the point that the bike is delivered. Just return it unridden.
  • bendertherobot
    Bender.

Pick a bike. Any Bike. Maybe one with a 6-8 week delivery time (So beginning of Summer)

Post the experience on your blog -as it progresses- (emitting details that might identify the order)

- If it gets to the point that the bike is delivered. Just return it unridden.

I am tempted. Let me have a think.....
  • kiteloopy
    kiteloopy Posts: 94
    i hate to think what the demand for the 2017 Ultimate Disc will be.
    Massive. I might be one of them. :D:D

I had got a Speedmax AL 8.0 from them some time back and had a great experience, great TT bike too (for a beginner).
    Dont blame Canyon, blame SAP.

OP, id cancel. They are good but not worth waiting around for it.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    kiteloopy wrote:

Nope, SAP may produce a flakey product but there can surely be no excuse for the shocking customer service from Canyon that has been consistent throughout the last few years. People often confuse good customer service with getting the right goods first time and when advised but my view is that good customer service is what happens when things go wrong. Canyon seem to give their customer service department a lot of opportunities to excel...and yet they seem to fail miserably.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    kiteloopy wrote:

Nope, SAP may produce a flakey product but there can surely be no excuse for the shocking customer service from Canyon that has been consistent throughout the last few years. People often confuse good customer service with getting the right goods first time and when advised but my view is that good customer service is what happens when things go wrong. Canyon seem to give their customer service department a lot of opportunities to excel...and yet they seem to fail miserably.

have you ordered from them?

i have, got my aeroad 3 weeks late, for that they gave a set of keo max as a sorry, the bike was delivered, UPS damaged it in transit, 2 small scratches - Canyon gave a set of training wheels and one piece aero bar worth £300 and all fittings OR the option to return or refund.

2 club riders also got theirs and a youth racer also got his Aeroad pretty much on time.

when my 29er CF SLX frame cracked, a year or so ago, they could nt have been quicker or more responsive.

they ve clearly got some issues but it seems that many of the most vocal are just spouting off what they ve read.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Well, I think most seem to be real-world experiences. A mate of mine placed an order in Jan for a CF SLX. Delivery was due W/C 7th March. He's still waiting with no update from Canyon.

I just think Canyon are a victim of their own success and seem to have bitten off more than they can chew. What they should do is cancel and refund all orders not yet in progress with an apology and just start over with taking new orders when their systems are working properly. The current situation cannot be be doing their reputation any good.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Agreed.

The most vocal here are those with good reason.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Well, I think most seem to be real-world experiences. A mate of mine placed an order in Jan for a CF SLX. Delivery was due W/C 7th March. He's still waiting with no update from Canyon.

I don't believe this. Even if he was the most stupid person in the world he would have phoned or emailed them for an update.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bendertherobot
    Well, I think most seem to be real-world experiences. A mate of mine placed an order in Jan for a CF SLX. Delivery was due W/C 7th March. He's still waiting with no update from Canyon.

I don't believe this. Even if he was the most stupid person in the world he would have phoned or emailed them for an update.

Not mutually exclusive mind. He could have done both or either and still had no response. Twitter does seem best for getting in touch.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    I called them endless times. Had no meaningful updates.

Emails got nothing. Nor did Titter.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Gweeds wrote:
    I called them endless times. Had no meaningful updates.

Emails got nothing. Nor did Titter.

i complained about not being able to get through on telephone, to german hq, i emailed them and got responses around 24 to 36hrs, i explained the urgency of the bike arriving and they pulled their finger out and sorted it.

i cant comment on others exp only my own, were they ultra brilliant? no! did they sort out stuff when things went wrong with damage ? YES !

so i m willing to accept that the delays were caused by new IT and move/expansion, they need more staff in Twickenham and they need to have more autonomy and some better product knowledge.

My pre exp with warranty? they were fantastic, couldnt be faulted.

the Aeroad is a master piece, absolute brilliant design and function.
  • Camcycle1974

That's not what I said, of course he has contacted them. Just had nothing back from them. The worrying thing is when he ordered the date quoted was 3/8/16. He inquired whether the date was in US format which they confirmed it was so he went ahead and ordered and therefore expected to be delivered by now. Now a month late so it was probably August after all and they just cocked it up (which would not be unusual).
  • mamba80 wrote:
    deejaysee wrote:
    Def cancel
    Teach them a lesson - its a crowded market so if the manufacturer isnt on point them F them

i got my Aeroad and its fantastic, plus Canyon eventually gave me a cracking deal on upgraded parts, due to some courier damage (not their direct fault)

the delivery was also earlier than promised, they seem to be more cautious on dates now (so i ordered in Nov and got bike end of feb, delivery was put back at one point to end of march)

But it was MAVIC who really impressed, the damage was nothing to do with them but they offered to either repair FOC or warranty it in the future, super impressed - Canyon take note :)

i d hedge bets but still look for deals at LBS and cancel if you find better.

What is their cancellation policy, e.g. could I order a canyon, and cancel anytime before dispatch if I find a better deal/bike elsewhere? Presumably yes as there is a 30 day return policy once it has arrived?
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    The ease with which I could cancel (after delivery of my in stock bike was put back week after week) was the only good part of my Canyon customer experience.
  • 6 months of waiting and just been put back again by another two weeks. According to website if I order same bike now it will be with me in 6 weeks! Every week I ask for an update and am told next week. So the chief execs the worst is behind us comment is not eactly true.
  • Camcycle1974
    I just don't understand how this company operates at a profit? How can they take orders, not deliver them then have to refund customers for their non-existent bike? And how can an in stock bike take 6 months to arrive? Completely bonkers and I do wonder why people continue to buy from them.

My mate still hasn't had his. Last time he got a response from them he was told they were in the process of building it in early April. Happy days. Only to then be told it will be mid May before he gets it! This is obviously total bs and no way to treat your customers. I did toy with the idea of buying a Canyon once but I certainly wouldn't now. Why anyone would buy a bike sight-unseen and wait 6 months for delivery when they could get one here from a reputable source and have after sales care is beyond me? They are not even that cheap any more either. For the 3.5 k the bike is costing him my mate could have had loads of bikes in this country for a similar spec to the Canyon. I think he regrets his decision now.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    I just don't understand how this company operates at a profit? How can they take orders, not deliver them then have to refund customers for their non-existent bike? And how can an in stock bike take 6 months to arrive? Completely bonkers and I do wonder why people continue to buy from them.

My mate still hasn't had his. Last time he got a response from them he was told they were in the process of building it in early April. Happy days. Only to then be told it will be mid May before he gets it! This is obviously total bs and no way to treat your customers. I did toy with the idea of buying a Canyon once but I certainly wouldn't now. Why anyone would buy a bike sight-unseen and wait 6 months for delivery when they could get one here from a reputable source and have after sales care is beyond me? They are not even that cheap any more either. For the 3.5 k the bike is costing him my mate could have had loads of bikes in this country for a similar spec to the Canyon. I think he regrets his decision now.

Add to that the vast quantities of free frames they give to Movistar & Katusha
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Road.CC posted an article about the 'state of the art' Canyon factory earlier today (a shameless ad basically and probably paid for by Canyon). Pretty much the only replies were people complaining how long they've been waiting, one guy said he ordered last August and still hasn't received his bike - 9 months! You wouldn't wait 9 months for anything so why on earth are customers putting up with it.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    A baby perhaps
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.