Canyon - Waited 8 months for my order

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Semantik wrote:
    Penski wrote:
    Hang on, they've HAD you money? How did that happen? I'd be seriously looking at compensation there.

As the order was due for dispatch mid-end September, I thought I better pay as to avoid delays (lol), so I paid early September by choice.

Sound like a bunch of scumbags.

Just on another note and asking this as someone who has never shopped with Canyon..is it the case here that some orders are just falling off the radar within the order process and getting forgotten about? or are most/all buyers waiting the same disgusting length of time as the OP? Just curious to know in case the urge ever crops up to throw them some of my money...

The CEO of Canyon came out and publicly apologised about the situation blaming it on a new computer system. Chances are if you ordered now you could be ok with your order but im not sure I would risk it myself
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    I had similar but cancelled after 3 months.

Anyone who's waiting 8 months for an off the shelf bike with the sort of half-arsed CS they're giving and still gives them their money is being bent over a workshop bench.

With no lube.

I'd want my money back plus something for lost interest and generally being twatted about.

I love my Ultimate, but they're just having a laugh now.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • ba68
    ba68 Posts: 156
    Penski wrote:
    Hang on, they've HAD you money? How did that happen? I'd be seriously looking at compensation there.

As the order was due for dispatch mid-end September, I thought I better pay as to avoid delays (lol), so I paid early September by choice.

I ordered an SLX frameset last May, it arrived after several delays in mid July and straight out of the box it was cracked. I sent it straight back and as they had no more in stock at the time and couldn't tell me when they would have any more I asked for a refund. It took them another month to agree to this and then through their own incompetence couldn't process the payment back to me. In the end I had to get MasterCard to call back the transaction but that took until the end of September to complete. Shocking service all round and never a hint of an apology from anyone at Canyon despite them having my money for over 3 months.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Which Spectral was it? As usual their facebook pages links to a page with "thousands of bike in stock ready to ship."

https://www.canyon.com/en/shop/expressb ... e=facebook

March madness indeed.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    ba68 wrote:
    Penski wrote:

I ordered an SLX frameset last May, it arrived after several delays in mid July and straight out of the box it was cracked. I sent it straight back and as they had no more in stock at the time and couldn't tell me when they would have any more I asked for a refund. It took them another month to agree to this and then through their own incompetence couldn't process the payment back to me. In the end I had to get MasterCard to call back the transaction but that took until the end of September to complete. Shocking service all round and never a hint of an apology from anyone at Canyon despite them having my money for over 3 months.

:shock: And still people want to buy Canyon's?
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    PTestTeam wrote:
    ba68 wrote:
    Penski wrote:

:shock: And still people want to buy Canyon's?

Changed my mind now. Have read the customer reviews on Trustpilot - a lot of pi**ed off customers on there- many Danish buyers complaining about shocking levels of service and gross incompetence on the part of canyon staff. Seems this is not a recent thing either and has been going on for several years. Yet there is clearly some allure to their bikes or people wouldn't tolerate this and would walk away in large numbers. Maybe some justice will prevail and that will start happening soon...
    Think their undeserved popularity is because of three things: 1) Nice glossy website showcasing their hardware- MUCH more impressive to potential buyers than, for example, the Rose bikes website.
    2) Bling wheels and good components for reasonable (but not bargain level) money.
    3)Sensation that you are buying a quality product of German engineering ,associations inevitably being made in the mind of the consumer between these products (probably designed but not actually made in Germany at all) and quality German automobiles, washing machines etc.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    ...and not forgetting the fact that they get a great level of exposure from some of the tops teams in the peleton.

I still find it utterly mystifying as to why some customers put up with them though. This nonsense has been going on for years (so it is a bit rich to blame a new computer system/warehouse) and there are so many other great/comparable bikes out there. The way folks keep being drawn to Canyon suggests they are practically giving the bikes away... but their prices suggest otherwise.
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    That's really shocking and for one thing you missed out on any potential deals in the meantime.

I don't follow road bikes but I know there have been lots of chances for massive discounts on high end bikes from Black Friday deals through the post XMAS 2015 lines. (I know Giant were doing some in their shops but so were Evans, CRC etc. etc.)

If you were dealing with a UK company I'd say send them a invoice for losses (30 day) and if they didn't pay take them to small claims court.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    They are not even cheaper than other main brands. The Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 has pretty much the same spec as the Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 I tried yesterday. One hell of a bike, available at my LBS and £100 cheaper list price than the Canyon with some haggling to be done on the price.
  • Shuggy76
    Shuggy76 Posts: 91
    I really wanted to believe that this wouldn't affect my purchase, but reading all the bad news on here prompted me to email them, and I got the bad news today, estimated delivery date now 2nd week of June, that's from my order date of end of September! Problem is I really like the look of the Ultimate SLX, dammit! So..., it's rats off a sinking ship I'm afraid....
  • geode
    geode Posts: 25
    edited March 2016
    Penski wrote:
    So I asked them to discount the order or I would cancel it - they said they cannot discount, so I have cancelled the order. I have asked for a refund on the money which they have had since September 2015, they say this will take 5 business days.

Thanks for your thoughts and input all.

I also paid upfront for a bike by bank transfer and the bike I ordered was delayed so I canceled my order too. I had to wait 45 days to recieve my refund. The UK side of canyon didn't seem to answer the phone or respond to emails when I was chasing up the refund and in the end I had to go onto facebook in an effort to embarrass canyon to get anywhere. They even managed to mess up the refund as it was £84 short and again I had to go back to facebook to recieve the full amount I paid to canyon. Canyons problems aren't just becasue of a new system in production and assembly, it goes deeper, the customer service is shockingly bad.
  • gweeds
    But they're all sorted.

So lies the CEO time and time again.

And still they don't bother proactively contacting thise waiting.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Shuggy76
    Order cancelled, just shambolic really.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Shuggy76 wrote:
    I really wanted to believe that this wouldn't affect my purchase, but reading all the bad news on here prompted me to email them, and I got the bad news today, estimated delivery date now 2nd week of June, that's from my order date of end of September! Problem is I really like the look of the Ultimate SLX, dammit! So..., it's rats off a sinking ship I'm afraid....

Are Canyon still lying with their delivery dates on their website ? They're quoting May for most Ultimate SLX's.
    But if you ordered in September last year and they're quoting you June this year ?
    The mind boggles.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Canyon is a triumph of marketing over customer service. The bikes get massive publicity due to Canyon supplying pro teams. An uncritical media gives them glowing reviews. The website is excellent. And you get the impression that Canyon is an example of German efficiency. How wrong I was to believe all this.

These latest delivery delays (blamed on new computer system) are nothing new. I experienced the same heartache two years ago when I ordered an "in stock" SLX that was due to be delivered to me within two weeks. I think I cancelled my order finally after about four months of the delivery date being moved further and further ahead. I understand perfectly what people have said. There's all the initial excitement about buying what looks like a great bike, all replaced by frustration and disappointment and the eventual feeling that you've been taken for a fool. It was a terrible customer experience.

In contrast, my Legend carbon frame, with custom geometry and custom tubes and stays, was built for me in Italy, delivered to Bike Science where it was fitted with Campag Record groupset and Cycle Clinic wheels within 11 weeks of me being fitted up and making my order.
  • gweeds
    I got lucky first time round. Last year my CF SLX was delivered 8 days after ordering.

Lulled, I ordered again in November and what a shambles that was.

Never again.
  • I'm waiting for an endurace. Has anyone had a bike delivered on time since canyon said all the problems are fixed and your new delivery date will be met?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I am still kicking myself for being so naive and believing their promises.

My advice for anybody looking at buying now is look at the 'estimated' delivery date & add 6-9 months on.

Despite my warning a mate ordered the aeroad 9.0 which was 'in stock' two weeks ago. Still no sign of it & they told him yesterday that it will be at least another 2 weeks (I would put money on that being moved back a few months).

Just appalling service.
  • gweeds
    So they're just lying now.

Insane.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    I'm waiting for an endurace. Has anyone had a bike delivered on time since canyon said all the problems are fixed and your new delivery date will be met?

My daughter got an Aeroad, delivered on time in early March this year, canyon chucked in a set of pedals - look max 2's - as a sorry for a 2 week delay... that turned out not to be.... :)
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Every time I've bought a new bike or frame, it's been because I know it's physically there, in the shop. I've seen a photo of it, or been to see it myself.
    Only then do I send the money.
    Waiting 2 weeks would do my head in, let alone 6 months.
    I can't believe Canyon aren't breaking various laws, even just consumer ones, with their actions.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    On the other hand (I suspect dangerous) hand

2 of my club mates have ordered Ultimate CF SLXs and got them on the day the were quoted, as did I (some years ago) with my 29er

Having said that, I'd have cancelled the order ages ago...I suspect that if you ordered again tomorrow you'd get it much sooner :( I feel for you :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gweeds
    I had no idea people were paying up front.
  • Shuggy76
    ddraver wrote:
    On the other hand (I suspect dangerous) hand

2 of my club mates have ordered Ultimate CF SLXs and got them on the day the were quoted, as did I (some years ago) with my 29er

Having said that, I'd have cancelled the order ages ago...I suspect that if you ordered again tomorrow you'd get it much sooner :( I feel for you :(

That would be the way to way, except that they have put their prices up since the 2016 bikes coming online :roll:
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Gweeds wrote:

they are not (unless they go out of their way to do so, even then i dont how you d do that? its a webform, with no option to do so, outside of Germany) payment is taken on start of delivery week, and , as far as i can see, Canyon haven't put their prices up either for this 2016 year.
  • Shuggy76
    mamba80 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

they are not (unless they go out of their way to do so, even then i dont how you d do that? its a webform, with no option to do so, outside of Germany) payment is taken on start of delivery week, and , as far as i can see, Canyon haven't put their prices up either for this 2016 year.

When I placed my order for an CF SLX ME, the price was around £1650 for the frameset, now it's pushing £2K.
  • bernithebiker
    Shuggy76 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

When I placed my order for an CF SLX ME, the price was around £1650 for the frameset, now it's pushing £2K.

that's pushing into Spesh, Trek and Cannondale territory surely? You know, companies that do actually try to provide customer service....
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Sad thing is even if (and I suspect that's an everest size if) they do eventually meet & deliver all the 2016 orders, next year I am sure there will be more threads with exactly the same issues.

Leopard never changes its spots and all that...
  • geode
    geode Posts: 25
    mamba80 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

When I ordered Canyon insist you pay upfront if you don't enter your credit card details to pay when the bike is built and I didn't want to pay via credit card. I paid via bank transfer
  • bernithebiker
    Paying by bank transfer (i.e. with zero protection), 6 months in advance, to a company that may be sufficiently weakened by this catastrophe to go bust strikes me as folly......