Canyon - Waited 8 months for my order

Comments

• steve55
    steve55 Posts: 19
    Thanks for the info on this. I'd included Canyon in a shortlist of next commuter bike, promptly removed.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    redvision wrote:

From a personal pov, I went to my LBS last week, picked up my dream bike from them on weds! Full bike fit and first service included in the price, which they gave me for 15% under the rrp, and imo made it far far better value than the canyon.
    And the best thing about it, no 9 month wait to get my bike!!! :-)

Or in the case of many Canyon 'customers', a 9 month wait for NO bike... and yet still folks are lining up to buy them. I still don't understand what Canyon have to do to get people to stop 'buying' their bikes??
  • DanTe1977
    DanTe1977 Posts: 46
    Someone needs to bring out a canyon top trumps.
    Suffer score??
  • DanTe1977
    Their marketing guys must read all this. I wonder what they actually think above and beyond the farmed lines.
    It must be an embarrassing place to work.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    DanTe1977 wrote:
    Their marketing guys must read all this. I wonder what they actually think above and beyond the farmed lines.

I always cringe a little when their posts on facebook are filled with comments from people complaining about delays. They were advertising for a customer services rep in the UK last week, I don't envy that role!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Prhymeate wrote:
    DanTe1977 wrote:

I always cringe a little when their posts on facebook are filled with comments from people complaining about delays. They were advertising for a customer services rep in the UK last week, I don't envy that role!

Notice that their Facebook page doesn't allow posts to page? No such hiding place in the comments section or Twitter mind.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • DanTe1977
    edited April 2016
    Prhymeate wrote:
    DanTe1977 wrote:

I know me too. BUT they've dicked me around so much I can't help myself sometimes.
    Via Facebook yesterday I had one of their social media guys jovially asking if anybody out there would do a bike swap with me if I wasn't happy. Wtf!
    I asked if they would still honour the warranty if such a thing did take place - silence.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    If you break this down the view becomes more disturbing as the company in question knows of the delays and continues to provide inaccurate/misleading delivery times. To me this reduces to either aptitude or attitude, either they are inept, dishonest or simply arrogant beyond belief to treat their clients in this way or a blend of all three. Given the time now past to shift their weight and better adapt to the circumstances Canyon find themselves in and provide transparency seems to have been lost and shines a light on the quality of leadership evident within the business.

@ Red Division, to your point regarding the press support for Canyon- nail on the head. This goes then to the creditability of the press which is easily lost in situations like these where a blinkered short term commercial view kills their validity.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    As suggested above it would seem to be easy to work longer hours or hire more bike builders. So it would suggest they are struggling for components.... Could it be that their suppliers are demanding cash on delivery which would be slowing things down.
  • bendertherobot
    As suggested above it would seem to be easy to work longer hours or hire more bike builders. So it would suggest they are struggling for components.... Could it be that their suppliers are demanding cash on delivery which would be slowing things down.

My view is that they're a German company operating a Mini like "just in time" assembly line. And somewhere that just in time stuff isn't getting through, or they're not ordering enough or, as you say, they're not paying etc. It does appear to be the case that something as simple as a mech hanger or saddle etc screws the whole thing up.
  • Shuggy76
    Shuggy76 Posts: 91
    It must be something fairly simple, because it would have taken 9 months for them to have delivered my frameset (barring any further delays of course!) Their ducks really aren't in a row over there in Koblenz.
    Quite simply, appalling. Just ordered a Giant SL advanced in place, ordered this Wednesday, it's being shipped as I type :D
    I won't put myself through the misfortune of dealing with Canyon again.
    (Good luck to those with more patience than I....)

My view is that they're a German company operating a Mini like "just in time" assembly line. And somewhere that just in time stuff isn't getting through, or they're not ordering enough or, as you say, they're not paying etc. It does appear to be the case that something as simple as a mech hanger or saddle etc screws the whole thing up.
  • bendertherobot
    Yeah, there are those cases as well mind :D !!!
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    I assume the frames are coming for China?

If so they obviously have an issue with their supplier. I would imagine that it would be at least a 3 month period between order, manufacture, shipping and delivery. They are either ordering too late or having problems with their frame manufacturer.

Either way to not inform customers and act in such a dismissive way is piss poor. They don't deserve peoples business.
  • surrey_commuter

If so they obviously have an issue with their supplier. I would imagine that it would be at least a 3 month period between order, manufacture, shipping and delivery. They are either ordering too late or having problems with their frame manufacturer.

Either way to not inform customers and act in such a dismissive way is wee-wee poor. They don't deserve peoples business.

I know nothing about bike frame manufacturing but I would guess you would produce as many as possible before resetting the production line. Now why might they not be ordering as many as possible? There must be somebody on here who can run a credit check on them.
  • Lefty forks are utterly utterly cool. I stop and stare every time i see one. It makes me yearn for a Slate. I adore them even if I know nothing about whether they are any good.
    I'm not convinced by them Bender, a 'jack of all trades, master of none' bike in my opinion. Sure it'd be fun on the tow paths but it doesn't have the clearance for decent nobbly tires so when the going got tough you'd lose out. I really like the look of the Open UP though, no front suspension but real versatility
  • DanTe1977

Either way to not inform customers and act in such a dismissive way is wee-wee poor. They don't deserve peoples business.

I know nothing about bike frame manufacturing but I would guess you would produce as many as possible before resetting the production line. Now why might they not be ordering as many as possible? There must be somebody on here who can run a credit check on them.

I don't think credit is their thing either. They sold me an XL Aeroad and their Bike Shuttle without the nous to let me know that an XL Aeroad dosnt fit in the bike shuttle. I didn't realise until I saw a recent ad for the shuttle where they've now added this useful fact.
    Sent it back to them on the 4th of March, they received it on the 8th - still no refund.
    That's ******* hopeless!
    They're the worst company I've ever dealt with for anything.
    I wouldn't mind if it was a chest of drawers, I dunno a powertool of some sort, a pair of jeans. It's not though is it?
    It's something I spent 3 years saving up for , researched, a totally integral part of pretty much the only thing outside of working and paying bills I do these days.
    A bike is just about everything to a bike rider.
    I don't really care about the cash, there's more to it than that for me and a lot of other people.
    They need to get a grip of that and take it on board.
    It's a ******* scandal.

(Better check myself into councelling again)
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Sounds like such a mess.

Hearing about Koblenz reminds me of a girlfriend I had there years ago......nice place, never thought it would be the epicentre of online bike manufacturing ......
  • DanTe1977
    You've got that right! If I didn't have 1st hand experience of it all I'm not sure I'd believe it.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Its ok guys, at least the pros are getting their orders http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... slx-46738/
    (although I suspect Katusha ordered them in 2012 :lol:)
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537

A very interesting point there.

Also wonder just how dependable is their Far East supplier in terms of order fulfilment and quality control. All those cracked seat tubes on the Ultimate slx a while back didn't instil confidence in me as a potential buyer. made me shop elsewhere in fact
  • bendertherobot
    https://companycheck.co.uk/company/0823 ... ED/summary

Quite easy in this company. Pretty meaningless mind.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Sounds like such a mess.

Hearing about Koblenz reminds me of a girlfriend I had there years ago......nice place, never thought it would be the epicentre of online bike manufacturing ......

I doubt the frames are manufactured in Koblenz. Rather they take a big delivery from China and then assemble bikes in Koblenz
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Slowmart wrote:
    If you break this down the view becomes more disturbing as the company in question knows of the delays and continues to provide inaccurate/misleading delivery times. To me this reduces to either aptitude or attitude, either they are inept, dishonest or simply arrogant beyond belief to treat their clients in this way or a blend of all three. Given the time now past to shift their weight and better adapt to the circumstances Canyon find themselves in and provide transparency seems to have been lost and shines a light on the quality of leadership evident within the business.

@ Red Division, to your point regarding the press support for Canyon- nail on the head. This goes then to the creditability of the press which is easily lost in situations like these where a blinkered short term commercial view kills their validity.

This. There is a certain amount of bias towards brands that spend a lot of money advertising in the mags or online.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Sounds like such a mess.

You were right in never thinking about it because they obviously aren't the epicentre of anything other than very poor customer service or, perhaps, the assembly of bikes around cheap chinese made frames very slooooowly.

Someone will come along again soon to say what great bikes they are but it's beginning to sound like they are just apologists for Canyon. Sometimes, you just can't polish a turd, no matter how hard you try.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • ayjaycee wrote:

Someone will come along again soon to say what great bikes they are but it's beginning to sound like they are just apologists for Canyon.

Jesus
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277

Jesus

If I had realised that he was a Canyon owner, I might not have been quite so judgemental. Then again, with that sort of influence, you would have thought that the problems would all have been well sorted by now.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Jesus would not have ordered direct though. The Pope - as god's representative on Earth - would have done it for him. So it's possible the fault lies with the Catholic Church...
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Just had a look online at Rose bikes, their aero bike looks decent. Are people switching to them or are Canyon better bikes (assuming they are ever delivered.....)?
  • bendertherobot
    So, their Facebook ad, I am not kidding you:

"We have over 10,000 bikes in stock ready to ship to you."

10k in stock. Ready. IN STOCK. 10k. That place must be massive
  • surrey_commuter
    So, their Facebook ad, I am not kidding you:

"We have over 10,000 bikes in stock ready to ship to you."

10k in stock. Ready. IN STOCK. 10k. That place must be massive

assuming they mean frames it would be no surprise that they had no cash left to build them up