Show us your Supersix Evo's

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    At the risk of fuelling the fire...........

I do quite fancy a Praxis at some point. And then DA9000. I want etap, of course, but I think DA9000 would be nice (chainset only though, no need for the rest)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Guys - I didn't intend for my question to set off a slanging match......was just an honest question based upon a) what I've read and 2 of the 3 people that I know that own Cannondales having had BB problems
  • bendertherobot
    Mine's fine!
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Mine's fine!

Ok great !!!!

Am tempted to figure out how to take one for a spin. Also want to give the Canyon Ultimate a go. Am I a Satanist for saying such things in this thread ?!?!?!
  • bendertherobot
    Nope. Natural competitors. Not the only ones though. Plenty out there to try.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Guys - I didn't intend for my question to set off a slanging match......was just an honest question based upon a) what I've read and 2 of the 3 people that I know that own Cannondales having had BB problems

I'd say that the common sense advice for you, would be to buy something else as your doubts will always be there. I bought mine after hiring them many times on holiday. Of course these were all meticulously maintained by professional mechanics. I also had a number of friends with very different experiences of them to those of your friends.
    No one is saying that no BB30 or PF30 will ever creak, what is being said is that it is not as wide spread as the inter web might have you believe, and that of the reported creaks that are cited online many will undoubtedly be misdiagnosed or easily fixed. Proper installation, lubrication, and maintenance are important and investing in a few tools is a good idea if you want to service it yourself.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 721
    I have had a creaky bottom bracket on mine. However as I had bought it from LBS the fix was easy. They took it back out and installed with some form of compound. Not sure what, but 2 years on it is still running smooth and silent...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    diplodicus wrote:
    ...compound...

I've tried curry paste but it wasn't any good.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • diplodicus
    Pinno wrote:
    diplodicus wrote:
    ...compound...

Are we still discussing bottom brackets?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    diplodicus wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    diplodicus wrote:
    ...compound...

Tried that, just made mine louder and left a greasy smear on my right shoe.
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    Curry usually leads to significant issues with my bottom bracket.
    Doesn't agree with my tubes at all.
  • peteb0
    peteb0 Posts: 58
    To get us back on topic, here's a pic of my SuperSix post friday afternoon ride. I really need to cut that steerer, especially as I'm about to go 5mm lower

26743876794_293faa7da4_k.jpg
  • pinno
    diplodicus wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    diplodicus wrote:
    ...compound...

Yep.

"The BB creaks on mine"
    "I got one and it has never creaked"
    "Those BB's creak a lot"
    "No they don't"
    "Yes they do"
    "Some do"
    "Some don't"
    "You're a twit for saying that they all suffer this problem"
    "You're a twit for not assembling it properly"
    "I did"
    "No you didn't, it shouldn't creak with proper assembly"
    "Proper assembly won't make any difference, i've had 15 BB's on mine and tried 10 different LBS's and it still squeaks"
    "Then it;s something else that's creaking"
    "No it isn't"
    "Yes it is"
    "It must be a mouse in your downtube"

:roll:
  • diplodicus
    I really, REALLY like the look of a SS Evo but the only concern I have is getting a creaky bottom bracket. I can't stand a noisy bike, it drives me utterly insane. This is the only thing stopping me from putting a dent in the credit card.

Is it pot luck as to whether it gets creaky? Is there a fix to it, other than earplugs ?

This is why I posted MY experience, for what it's worth.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Mine's fine!

That's good, I feel pleased for you! :-)

Mine's not. Started creaking after about 100 miles of riding. Maybe bad installation by poor (Cannondale) mechanics.

I guess my "off the shelf" SuperSix Evo High Mod SRAM Red was only (list).. £4000 .. so I shouldn't expect the bike to be perfect.

I have given up trying to sort it.. now ride with an iPOD Shuffle which seems to distract from the creaking!
    You'll be glad to know the Apple earbuds fit my ears as poorly as my BB, so have no issues hearing traffic when riding.

I'm not complaining honest, I love the bike. I have a GPX SRAM Red Chainset I could use, but can't bring myself to removing the SiS2 chainset that costs as much as some carbon bikes on it's own.
    Simon
  • pinno
    Mine's fine!

...SiS2 chainset that costs as much as some carbon bikes on it's own.

Sell it.
  • springtide9
    Pinno wrote:
    Mine's fine!

Sell it.

That would involve removing the chainset, buying a BB, fitting it and the Red chainset, selling the SiS2 on Ebay or here...

Or... I just ride my bike and complain on here about the creaks.

In all honestly, life is too short. I fixed the problem with an iPod
    Simon
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    Mine's fine!

Sell it.

Yes, what better place.
  • MikeBrew
    Good work Grigio , keep the irrelevant bumf coming. How dare they have a thread about bikes that they're all actually happy with ...... Bah humbug
  • bendertherobot
    Pinno wrote:
    Mine's fine!

Sell it.

That would involve removing the chainset, buying a BB, fitting it and the Red chainset, selling the SiS2 on Ebay or here...

In all honestly, life is too short. I fixed the problem with an iPod

Ultimately you'll be wanting eTap so doing that now saves time later......
  • pinno
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Good work Grigio , keep the irrelevant bumf coming. How dare they have a thread about bikes that they're all actually happy with ...... Bah humbug

I have no idea where that came from.

I have a Wilier, with Campag Record 11 and Eurus wheels on it. It's a top bike which I love so I have no desire for a Cannondale, no matter how good they are. However, the spat that had been going on for a while with you at the epicentre, is all a bit silly - just like the Planet X Holdsworth steel frame thread, the Planet x pricing thread and the Planet X EC130 thread. You are the common denominator.

Did I mention this one?: viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13064241&p=19883871#p19883871

Some people have taken my posts as humorous, which they are meant to be and obviously enjoy life a little more than others. Some people just want a solution to a creaky BB problem without empirical evidence provided by you that is to the contrary.

Such as:
    MikeBrew wrote:

The urban myth that these BB's always creak is testament to the power of the internet to propagate and perpetuate nonsense. Problem being that the majority are happy owners who don't get a problem hence they never feel the need the post anything, while those who get an issue whine online loudly and incessantly.
    Some of those complaints may be down to poor installation and/or maintenance and others due to an unrelated creak that gets neurotically computed as being "the infamous BB/PF 30 creak wot I read about in a post by Tom, Dick or Harry on the internet[about as reliable as a 'bloke down the pub said'] ".
    Having said that, the seed of doubt is clearly there in your mind so probably best that you buy something else.

Carry on, we have a popcorn thread down in BB and you're providing us with wonderful stuff to which we can sit and enjoy.

'Pinno Grigot' - I like it.

For the rest on here, my apologies for hijacking your thread temporarily.
  • MikeBrew
    edited June 2016
    It's not rocket science to realise that it's "the squeaking wheel that gets the grease" or put another way "those with creaking BB that get the internet airtime" - leading to the casual observer's impression that any problem is far more prevalent than it actually is.
    It's a common sense, general principle that one could apply to many many things on the interweb. What's this nonsense about "Evidence" - no one's been murdered.
    Now after Letap objecting at length to my post, which was only made by me in answer to a direct question from a genuine poster, and various others jumping on the spam band wagon, can we let the nice folk have their thread back ... ?
  • Anyway, back on subject everyone bar Peteb0 should get slamming especially those with the non cut standard steerer and with the stem perched on top, mine came taller than my old Roubaix! Can't bring myself to cut mine just incase I want to sell it. I am down to the standard cone, got a slammed top headset at the ready.

Back off subject. My PF30 went within 150 miles, put in a SRAM one and greased it up it lasted 4000 service free miles. My theory is that manufacturers do not grease them enough and the weak link is the non driveside in the wet. Exactly the same happened to a BB30 Boardman I had before.
  • Loctite
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • springtide9

Ultimately you'll be wanting eTap so doing that now saves time later......

Ha, ha.. no need for anything that needs batteries on my bike thank you, apart from lights!

I had the option for Di2 when I got the Red Racing, but decided against it.

I would say that the Cannondale has been the first bike that Ive been so happy with standard, I've not even considered upgrading anything.. I actually like it as it came from the factory.

That aside I would like a different set of bars, only because I preferred my PlanetX Nanolight bars, which you can't buy anymore... shame as I dont have the details of those bars, so dont know what else would be similar.
    Simon
  • bendertherobot
    http://www.cyclist.co.uk/cannondale/sup ... 105-review

" Probably the fastest bike we've ridden that costs less than £1500."

Confirms what we all know :D (mind, mine was £1300, and green, bet it's faster)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Can anyone confirm if the clearance is enough to comfortably fit a 25mm tyre mounted on modern wide rims (say, 17mm internal width like the current Mavic Ksyriums)? It would also be good to know if the frame takes SKS Raceblade Longs (mk2) although this isn't a deal breaker. Looking at a Supersix Evo 105 vs a Cervelo R2, seem fairly similar although the Cervelo paint jobs leave a bit to be desired.
  • bendertherobot
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Can anyone confirm if the clearance is enough to comfortably fit a 25mm tyre mounted on modern wide rims (say, 17mm internal width like the current Mavic Ksyriums)? It would also be good to know if the frame takes SKS Raceblade Longs (mk2) although this isn't a deal breaker. Looking at a Supersix Evo 105 vs a Cervelo R2, seem fairly similar although the Cervelo paint jobs leave a bit to be desired.

Probably. Mine does (17C internal 25c Schwable One) and many others do. The clearance is tight but there's no real issue. There is a thread in the general forum about possible tyre rub and offset dropouts. Mine has a bit of this, but it still seems relatively ok. When I be arsed I will show Evans and see what they think
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    Mine is fine, no rubbing with GP4000s and Fulcrum Quattros on. 2016 Evo Ultegra.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Oh dear, in a way I wish I hadn't read that thread in General. Looks very hit and miss...and I tend to be an unlucky bugger, :-) The Cervelo has bags of clearance so I know that there is no hit or miss there.

Might need to ping CSG an email...