Show us your Supersix Evo's

germcevoy
germcevoy Posts: 414
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi guys. I have a Canyon on order but I'm getting itchy feet with all this bad press. My order is stated to be fulfilled at the end of March but who knows. I have been shopping around on the mean time and like the look of a Supersix Evo 2015 105 at a grand.

The question is now size. I ride a b'twin Triban 3 in a size 57 but it's too big for me so I can't necessarily measure it up and buy the closest sized Supersox.

I'm 173cm with a 79cm inseam. Arm length is 62cm.

Any pointers? I'm thinking 52 or 54. Sadly it will be an online purchase (bike shopping n Belfast is shit) so I don't have the option to swing the leg over one.

Comments

• MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    At 5'8" ish(173cm) I would have said a pretty sure-fire 54cm Evo.
  • I'm a similar size to you and a SSE in 54 felt too stretched - for me. If it had been my only option, or had arrived in the post, I reckon I could have made it fit after a fashion, but in direct comparison to other race bikes (TCR and Tarmac) it wasn't the best fit for me. In fact I might have been better off with a 52.

My experience ended up being a good advert for buying from a LBS - is there really not a decent shop in Belfast you can peruse while you wait on news from Germany?
  • Try Dave Kane in Ballyhackamore. Best 'Dale dealer in the country. Green Bikes in Newry or Cycleology in Armagh also sell them.
  • if you have ordered up the canyon then just take the geometry and compare to that on the supersix.
    Look for stack and reach measurements.
    You can always tweak the stack through the spacers and the reach by fitting a longer or shorter stem.
  • germcevoy
    if you have ordered up the canyon then just take the geometry and compare to that on the supersix.
    Look for stack and reach measurements.
    You can always tweak the stack through the spacers and the reach by fitting a longer or shorter stem.

Never thought to compare with the Canyon as I haven't sat on it either. Their sizing calculator suggested a S for the Endurace. I know the Supersix is more of a race bike and the geometry is different because of that. The 54 Supersix comes up fairly equivalent to the Endurace in a small.
  • I'm about 5'9", but shorter of the leg than yourself, so probably a little longer in the torso. I ride a 54 CAAD10 and now an Evo as well. For my dimensions, a 100mm 6 degree stem with 10mm spacers (use the hidden 5mm, not the big 25mm cone spacer, plus a single 5mm) gives a nice, aggressive fit. I'm speculating, of course, but I'd say the stock 25mm spacer and 100mm stem would leave you somewhere similar. I run a zero setback post as well, but that's largely because my saddle has very short rails.

If you can't get a leg over an SS Evo, there's literally 2mm Stack/reach difference between it and a CAAD10. I can't imagine Kane's wouldn't have one or the other in stock.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I've got a CAAD10 and a SuperSix both in 56 and they are very close from a fit perspective.
    I'm taller than you at about 6 foot.
  • germcevoy
    I'm thinking a 54. Reach is the same between both sizes and a 12mm stack height difference. I imagine a slammed 54 would give me most of the flexibility I would need to get into a fairl agressive position.
  • I'm thinking a 54. Reach is the same between both sizes and a 12mm stack height difference. I imagine a slammed 54 would give me most of the flexibility I would need to get into a fairl agressive position.

I was after the same sort of set up as you. As the reach is the same it made sense to go for the 54cm over the 52cm so I could then have no stem spacers. With the horizontal non-sloping top tube though the larger frame left less exposed seat post which then looked daft. Vain I know but I couldn't live with it.
  • germcevoy
    I'm thinking a 54. Reach is the same between both sizes and a 12mm stack height difference. I imagine a slammed 54 would give me most of the flexibility I would need to get into a fairl agressive position.

I was after the same sort of set up as you. As the reach is the same it made sense to go for the 54cm over the 52cm so I could then have no stem spacers. With the horizontal non-sloping top tube though the larger frame left less exposed seat post which then looked daft. Vain I know but I couldn't live with it.

Hmmm. Did you go 52 in the end?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Sizing is personal, but I'd be surprised if a 54 was a better fit than a 52 (I'm 180cm and would ride that frame in a 54). Keep in mind that it's easy to fit a frame that's too small, whereas if it's too big it will always be a compromise.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • I'm thinking a 54. Reach is the same between both sizes and a 12mm stack height difference. I imagine a slammed 54 would give me most of the flexibility I would need to get into a fairl agressive position.

Hmmm. Did you go 52 in the end?

No, couldn't live with the spacers! Shame as always great deals on what are lovely bikes for the money.
  • Grill
    Yoga dude. You'd have got rid of them in no time! ;)
  • germcevoy
    Sizing is personal, but I'd be surprised if a 54 was a better fit than a 52 (I'm 180cm and would ride that frame in a 54). Keep in mind that it's easy to fit a frame that's too small, whereas if it's too big it will always be a compromise.

I have little preference. This is only my second bike purchase. The stigma I have to get away from is comparing to my current bike which is a 57 (and too big). I keep convincing myself a 52 is too big of a drop but the numbers don't lie.

Fuck it, I'll go 52. A new stem is cheap if needed.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    It's mind over stem.
    I always thought I needed a taller headtube so I could slam the stem (not silly Roubaix endurace sportive big but the bigger end of a race bike) but I started with 20mm of spacers, dropped them off to 10mm then tried zero looked how much better my bike looked and dealt with it.
    For me a slammed stem looks so much better that if you can you should.
    Yep I said it , its very important how my bike looks !
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Grill
    I went from a 58 to a 56 and finally a 54 when I started cycling. It was an expensive couple months...
  • I know you' should put fit ahead of everything but one thing here is that there are usually great deals on 54cm Evos but hardly ever on 52cm (at least on the hi-mods I've looked at). If you're wavering between sizes then that might push you to the larger frame.

I'm sure you've spotted by now but Pauls and Westbrooks seem to have great deals generally.
  • germcevoy
    I know you' should put fit ahead of everything but one thing here is that there are usually great deals on 54cm Evos but hardly ever on 52cm (at least on the hi-mods I've looked at). If you're wavering between sizes then that might push you to the larger frame.

I'm sure you've spotted by now but Pauls and Westbrooks seem to have great deals generally.

Pauls is where I'm looking at. They have the 2015 Evo 105 at £999 in nearly all sizes.

I'm not big on the paint job but it's still a great bike for the money. If only they had 52 OR 54 then my decision would be made for me. As it stands I'm still thnking 52. Will be ordering within the hour.
  • I know you' should put fit ahead of everything but one thing here is that there are usually great deals on 54cm Evos but hardly ever on 52cm (at least on the hi-mods I've looked at). If you're wavering between sizes then that might push you to the larger frame.

Pauls is where I'm looking at. They have the 2015 Evo 105 at £999 in nearly all sizes.

I'm not big on the paint job but it's still a great bike for the money. If only they had 52 OR 54 then my decision would be made for me. As it stands I'm still thnking 52. Will be ordering within the hour.

If you're buying the complete bike then that throws loads more variables in! Won't the 52cm come with 170mm cranks and the 54cm 172.5mm? What about stem length, bar width (maybe narrower on the 52cm?)?
  • galatzo
    My 52 Supersix came with 9cm stem and 172.5mm cranks, would have preferred 170mm but hey ho at that price its not a deal breaker.
  • germcevoy
    I know you' should put fit ahead of everything but one thing here is that there are usually great deals on 54cm Evos but hardly ever on 52cm (at least on the hi-mods I've looked at). If you're wavering between sizes then that might push you to the larger frame.

If you're buying the complete bike then that throws loads more variables in! Won't the 52cm come with 170mm cranks and the 54cm 172.5mm? What about stem length, bar width (maybe narrower on the 52cm?)?

All good with me. I use 170mm cranks and 40mm bars as standard anyway so can't seeing a 52 being far off these dimensions. Stems are no bother if needing to size up or down.
  • galatzo
    I'd say its worth a bit extra for Ultegra and the Hollowgram chainset and the wheels if you couls stretch to it.
  • germcevoy
    I'd say its worth a bit extra for Ultegra and the Hollowgram chainset and the wheels if you couls stretch to it.

The Ultegra model is £300 more than the 105. I'll save the money and replace the stock wheels after a few months. Everything else is more than sufficient for what I need and leaves the door open for upgrades in the future to keep things interesting.

I'm coming from a £300 10kg Decathlon budget bike so it will we a large step up either way.
  • germcevoy
    It's done. A 52 from Pauls Cycles.

Will report back in due course.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Try one but id say a 54for sure
  • i think a 52cm is going to be perfect. im an inch shorter than you and my bike has the same geo as a supersix. i ride a 50cm frame with a 120mm stem and 172.5 cranks and it fits me like a glove ,i could comfortably ride a 52cm if i wanted too ,a 54cm would not fit me. enjoy the new bike the supersix is lovely 8)
  • The famous Cannondale sizing debate !! Been there, done that, still not sure haha :D At 181cm I started with 56 CAAD's, thought it maybe was a bit big, went on to 54's (have CAAD12 54), now thinking of buying an EVO in 56 again. Love the bikes. The 54 is a great and I've done a couple of 200k plus rides on it not too uncomfortably, but I do need a couple of spacers. And I don't think even yoga could get me that low !! I could pretty much remove all spacers from a 56. It's a tricky one that's for sure. The larger size may handle a bit better ? I was looking at which pros (yes I know were not pros) ride which size Cannondale's. Nibali rode a 56 at 181cm. Mike Cotty seems to be on 56's. Now I'm thinking I need 56 again lol. Whatever you do, enjoy !! I have a sneaky suspicion Mallorca Jeff may be right though. Hope not seeing as you now have 52.
  • MikeBrew
    6 foot, and 56 with 120mm stem fits me well. Hired one for 2 weeks last year, and went back after the first week with neck/upper-back pain. At this point they fitted a 120 stem (100mm originally on there, I think), the second week was perfect ! In the hire shop they said 5' 9" was the upper end of height range to ride a 54. Westbrooks said pretty much the same thing to.
    What do you think of the CAAD 12, by the way ?
  • germcevoy
    I'm fairly confident that both would fit well enough with the reach being identical. I have stems up to 110mm lying around so should be able to try a few out to hopefully get it right.

I suspect I'll be making use of the available spacers on the 52 but that'll be no big deal. I may be able to whip them out in time once I adjust to the position. As I mentioned before, my current bike is a poor fit so I would likely be having to adjust to a new position regardless of getting the 52 or 54.
  • MikeBrew
    Size.jpg

This what Evans say and, broadly speaking, I agree with it. You can see the lower to upper height limits for a given frame size are fairly narrow and ,as such, are bound to over-lap slightly between frame sizes. Besides, height isn't the whole story as proportionality very much comes into it too. As do things like flexibility and personal riding position preference. Your legs are fairly long for your height, meaning your upper body is probably relative short for your height. That being the case, the shorter top tube of the 52 may well suit perfectly.
    Anyway, enjoy the new bike you lucky bugger :)