Show us your Supersix Evo's

Comments

• poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    Ok, question on handlebars/reach.

So I've moved from the (bonkers spec) 44cm bars on my 52cm 'six down all the way to 38cm (big drop but they were a bargain, worth trying out). Turns out they're brilliant, wouldn't go back. The only issue I now have is I feel a little more upright than before.

So, with the reach of the bars all being the same (but narrower), how much more stem do I need to run? It's already slammed so that's not an option.
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Poptart242 wrote:

So I've moved from the (bonkers spec) 44cm bars on my 52cm 'six down all the way to 38cm (big drop but they were a bargain, worth trying out). Turns out they're brilliant, wouldn't go back. The only issue I now have is I feel a little more upright than before.

So, with the reach of the bars all being the same (but narrower), how much more stem do I need to run? It's already slammed so that's not an option.

The more upright position will be as a result of your hands going more straight out in front as opposed to going out diagonally with the wider bars.

Haven't a clue how you would calcutate that exactly. I went from a 90mm stem to a 110cm when I went from 44cm bars down to 40's.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Poptart242 wrote:

That's a massive drop and 38 is narrow, tried them once myself (FSA), depends on were they are measured at.

Assume you mean you have changed width of bars but not model and brand as there are massive differences on reach between models and even same model (Fizik Bull bars for instance have a shorter reach on 38 and 40s than the larger sizes). Mine have a 70mm reach, some are 95mm plus lever placement makes a difference.
    Its worth buying a range of stem sizes and keeping them in the shed then you can give each size a decent try, there's loads of used cheap stems on Ebay for next to nothing so just get a few in your range and try them. 9cm 10cm and 11cm maybe, unlikely you'd need anything longer and then get a matching stem for the bars once your happy.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • poptart242
    Cheers guys. Yeah it's a big drop, although it's 38cm CtoC so not quite as much as edge to edge. I measured the reach on both bars and it's just about mm bang on identical. Will play about with some longer ones and see how I get on.

Tell you what, if the handling wasn't fast enough before it's lightning quick now! Probably just confirmation bias though.

In an ideal world I'd have measured the old bars relative to the saddle before I whipped them off but you live and learn.
  • Poptart242 wrote:

You're talking about two different measurements, reach and drop.

If you're sitting more upright you need to adjust the drop not the reach, might be worth trying a -17 degree stem in the same length you're currently using?
  • poptart242

If you're sitting more upright you need to adjust the drop not the reach, might be worth trying a -17 degree stem in the same length you're currently using?

Yes, my thinking being more drop = bars further away, which is sort of what I'm looking to achieve anyway? Correct me if I'm flawed in that though.

I'm sitting more upright as my arms are straighter with the new bars, hence longer reach needed?

-17 stem would look cool as hell though 8)
  • germcevoy
    About to pull the plug on some Racing Quattro's. Granted, they aren't the lightest but they still offer a weight saving and considerable increase in stiffness over the RS 11's. Paired with some nice rubber I'm hoping for a decent improvement in feel.

The RS11's just mute the frame. I've had bad experiences with my last set of Fulcrum's but hoping to put that down to bad luck.
  • germcevoy
    Poptart242 wrote:

I'm sitting more upright as my arms are straighter with the new bars, hence longer reach needed?

-17 stem would look cool as hell though 8)

Correct. That's how it worked for me. Longer stem to lengthen the reach and all was grand. I was messing around with spacers at the same time but eventually got it right with a 110cm stem (up from the stock 90cm).
  • scott_w1987
    scott_w1987 Posts: 316
    -17 130mm.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    So good news. I built my Synapse today. Standard mod, could not run to a hi-mod frame at £1400 online frame only but I got the Synapse 105 5 for a frankly silly price (sub £1K from £1699) and used my finishing kit to up-spec the bike to Ultegra and Dura Ace along with Mavic wheels. Have some nice 105 bits in my bike box now.

Beautiful ride, fast and stiff, but very very crush meets plush. Downsized to a 54cm too and having a bike fit next week and awaiting a C-bear BB30a adaptor to rig up my 9000 cranks. Once fitted and dialled in, I will post a couple of images in the your bike thread. Have to say, Cannondale bikes ride so well, from opening to closing price.
  • I've got a 130mm stem on mine. Looks badass.
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    The supersix evo family is about to have a new member. Pictures to follow soon. :D
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814

Beautiful ride, fast and stiff, but very very crush meets plush. Downsized to a 54cm too and having a bike fit next week and awaiting a C-bear BB30a adaptor to rig up my 9000 cranks. Once fitted and dialled in, I will post a couple of images in the your bike thread. Have to say, Cannondale bikes ride so well, from opening to closing price.

Strangely, despite finding a 56 Supersix with 120 stem to be a perfect fit, I found a 56 Synapse felt too big and so, swapped it for a 54 Synapse while hiring recently in Spain.
    EDIT : Actually, thinking about it, it wasn't that recently - it was 2012 and Geo has probably changed since then.
  • bristolpete
    MikeBrew wrote:

Strangely, despite finding a 56 Supersix with 120 stem to be a perfect fit, I found a 56 Synapse felt too big and so, swapped it for a 54 Synapse while hiring recently in Spain.
    EDIT : Actually, thinking about it, it wasn't that recently - it was 2012 and Geo has probably changed since then.

OK, so hear me now as they say. Not yet fitted my 165mm cranks so running 172.5mm which I hate, but monstered the bike from work and shaved 1 minute of a section on Strava with a 20.9 mph average over 3 miles. Crazy. With comfort comes speed. No wind to speak of side, head or rear, just went full gas. Getting fitted week after next. Happy Petey.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    I picked up a cheap Hollowgram crankset with 165mm arms. Going to experiment with it on my CAAD10 that's currently on 172.5s.
  • bristolpete
    MikeBrew wrote:
    I picked up a cheap Hollowgram crankset with 165mm arms. Going to experiment with it on my CAAD10 that's currently on 172.5s.

I love 165mm suits my legs and gets me over the spindle if you like kops and ideal for Devon where what goes up carrys one going up. :mrgreen:
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    MikeBrew wrote:

I've rode a lot of different cranks, low and high end, but nothing really comes close to a Hollowgram with good rings with a properly installed BB. Stiff as Hefner's corpse and spins like hell. They're not worth the new price, but if you get one cheap...
  • germcevoy
    I am buying a set of Fulcrum Racing Quattro LG for my Six. Tyres have me wondering. Currently I have Michelin Lithion 2's in 25mm running on RS11's. The Fulcrums are a wider rim. Clearance is fine for the Michelins but am I likely to be at the clearance limit with 25's on the wider rims?

Or will a set of 23's run a bit wider than normal due to the wider rim?
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Germcevoy wrote:
    I am buying a set of Fulcrum Racing Quattro LG for my Six. Tyres have me wondering. Currently I have Michelin Lithion 2's in 25mm running on RS11's. The Fulcrums are a wider rim. Clearance is fine for the Michelins but am I likely to be at the clearance limit with 25's on the wider rims?

I have One's in 25c. They're fine and don't rub. Clearance is very minimal but it's all ok.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Germcevoy wrote:

I am running Fulcrum Quattro Carbons which are 24.5mm wide rims. Tyres are 25mm michelin Pro4 SC and no issues with tyre rub.
  • germcevoy
    Cheers fellas. I'd prefer to stay at 25mm for comfort (not that the bike isn't comfortable already).
  • vpnikolov
    Any recommendations on a better seatpost and handlebar? Would like to change the standard C2 at some point on my supersix. FSA K-Force any good?
  • bendertherobot
    vpnikolov wrote:
    Any recommendations on a better seatpost and handlebar? Would like to change the standard C2 at some point on my supersix. FSA K-Force any good?

The C2 seatpost, if carbon, isn't actually all that bad. Good weight overall. Bars are fine but, annoyingly, 44cm.

I went for a Deda Superzero Stem https://www.merlincycles.com/deda-super ... 89162.html for now and when I can afford it will add some Deda Carbon bars and a Deda seatpost.

Fizik another option. FSA are fine as long as you buy non fakes.
  • vpnikolov
    Deda Superleggera carbon handlebar

I guess you mean this?

It's a shame no 42cm available. I guess I will just wait as I was not overly impressed with the C2 handlebar and it felt quite wide as well. On top of that, the supersix is with white handlebars ( :evil: ) so these will go asap.

Seatpost is carbon indeed, should have looked more carefully. Not going to change anything there.
  • bendertherobot
    vpnikolov wrote:
    Deda Superleggera carbon handlebar

I guess you mean this?

It's a shame no 42cm available. I guess I will just wait as I was not overly impressed with the C2 handlebar and it felt quite wide as well. On top of that, the supersix is with white handlebars ( :evil: ) so these will go asap.

Seatpost is carbon indeed, should have looked more carefully. Not going to change anything there.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/deda-supe ... aero-bars/

There you go! 42cm, £5 off with the code on the main page and they have the stem.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/deda-superzero-31-7-stem/
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    deda bars are measured outside to outside btw
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I went with Fizik R3 bar and post. Not the lightest, especially the post, but beautifully finished. I went with the Snake bars, they look suitably businesslike with a low front end. They feel pretty thick and solid on the tops and drops. No complaints about stiffness/flex, and I tend to chuck a bike about a bit.

For comparison purposes, I'm used to 90's Cinelli and KCNC ergo bars and like a pretty long and low position (5'9", short legs, riding a 54 with 100mm 6 degree stem, 5mm top cap and one 5mm spacer gives me a flat back on the drops)
  • vpnikolov
    Saw someone climbing Lansdown Rd in Bath today with a Supersix. I have the strange feeling this guy is a member of the forum.

Anyway... handlebar related... going to postpone the purchase for now until I get a better feel of the bike as I have not ridden it that much yet.
  • img_87
    img_87 Posts: 60
    If i bought a Supersix Evo would i regret not buying the hi mod? Is there really that much difference?
  • bendertherobot
    Well, now, what size frame are you?