New £400 disc wheels?

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    He has charm :D Seriously, it's just hit and miss, depends who you get.

I'd take a punt on the Cosine mind.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Daniel B wrote:
    My second pair of Pro Lites have just arrived :D

Wiggle refused my pricematch on those. How did you manage it?

As BTR mentioned, complete luck of the drawer - I had given up, as about 3-4 of months ago, I tried about 5 times, and was refused every single time, which was when I thought the penny had dropped, and they must have sent a memo round, but then I saw someone else on here had managed it, so tried, and succeeded first time - on that occasion I was however sent brake pads, but they said to re-order when they came back into stock (I wasn't taken with either of the partially reduced offereings they offered in place of these) and to add a note to the effect of 'Please reduce to 159.95 as per case number bla bla bla, and upgrade to next day deivery for free'
    You get the idea.

Oh and of course with TCB cashback, they are effectively £155.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Just as well really as I haven't got a disc frame but my thinking went "if I get these bargain wheels then I may as well get a titanium frame to put them on.....". Very questionable saving there.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535

Just noticed this on the Q&A for the Cosine wheels:

"Can the decals be removed easily?"
    Staff Answer: "All Decals can be removed relatively easily, however in doing so you will invalidate the warranty and we strongly advise against it."

Surely they cant be serious?????
  • bendertherobot
    apreading wrote:

Just noticed this on the Q&A for the Cosine wheels:

"Can the decals be removed easily?"
    Staff Answer: "All Decals can be removed relatively easily, however in doing so you will invalidate the warranty and we strongly advise against it."

Surely they cant be serious?????

They might be serious, but they'd be seriously wrong!
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    Just to pop in and say that the Fulcrum 5 LG disc are quite lovely. Silky rollers (ignoring all that all bearings are silky).

If you don't mind me getting personal, are you quite light? I'm at the slightly heavier end of the market, do you reckon the spoke count is too low.
  • bendertherobot
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Just to pop in and say that the Fulcrum 5 LG disc are quite lovely. Silky rollers (ignoring all that all bearings are silky).

If you don't mind me getting personal, are you quite light? I'm at the slightly heavier end of the market, do you reckon the spoke count is too low.

I don't mind and no, I'm 80 odd kg. I've had Racing 3, Racing Quattro and now these and never once had an issue!
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn wrote:

I don't mind and no, I'm 80 odd kg. I've had Racing 3, Racing Quattro and now these and never once had an issue!

Hmm, ok, I've got a bit of weight on you - another 10kg - I reckon that spoke count is a bit on the light side for me.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Does anyone with the Prolite Revo's have unequal spoke tensions in the front wheel? The left hand spokes feel way tighter than the right side. Or are they meant to be like that because of the disc?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    tincaman wrote:
    Does anyone with the Prolite Revo's have unequal spoke tensions in the front wheel? The left hand spokes feel way tighter than the right side. Or are they meant to be like that because of the disc?

The second you said
    left the forum March 2023
  • daniel_b
    tincaman wrote:

The second you said

Part 2 later....?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    Daniel B wrote:
    tincaman wrote:

The second you said

Part 2 later....?

They are meant to be different
    left the forum March 2023
  • daniel_b
    ah, I see, I see, I see :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Thigh_burn
    Merlin have a pretty good sale on at the moment including Mavic Ksyrium Pro Discs 25% off, or £600, about £200.

I've vascillated so much on new wheels. Is it worth spending that or am I better off going for Racelights at £360, Crosslights at £330 or Fulcrum 5 LGs at £325.

Talk about too much choice. I have no idea how to actually decide. Thanks
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Fulcrum 5 LGs at £325.

These can be had for around £100 cheaper?! http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-wheels/fulcrum-racing-5-clincher-lg-disc-brake-wheelset/11234077.html?switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&affil=awin&utm_source=AWin-88441&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=AffiliateWin&awc=3977_1471343408_548f783b98d72957f941e6528d6b41d3&variation=11234081

Can''t really comment on the other wheels, but if I were you I'd go out of my way trying to get Wiggle to pricematch on the Pro Lite's. Had mine a few weeks now and they are spot on.
  • apreading
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Merlin have a pretty good sale on at the moment including Mavic Ksyrium Pro Discs 25% off, or £600, about £200.

I've vascillated so much on new wheels. Is it worth spending that or am I better off going for Racelights at £360, Crosslights at £330 or Fulcrum 5 LGs at £325.

Talk about too much choice. I have no idea how to actually decide. Thanks

The pros are out of stock at Merlin anyway, so its kind of irrelevant.

However, I think you would be mad to pay that much for them. 24 spokes is pushing it for disc wheels and while they are light, you can get similar for alot less money. If paying that much, I would go hand built and get something really nice. But personally, I wouldnt pay that much - I would pay £160 for the Pro-Lites (and I did, twice!). The Kinesis wheels arent value for money at that price and have some questionable component choices (https://whosatthewheel.com/2014/12/27/k ... -any-good/).

If you really want to pay £400 or more, I would look at something like: http://www.justridingalong.com/wheels/j ... -rims.html or http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections ... -wheelsets
  • Thigh_burn
    apreading wrote:

I've been looking at the Borg 22s and exchanging emails with Malcolm. Have also just dropped an email to JRA. Only reason I've been so reticent is the uncertainty of what the hell to go for, or what I'll notice any difference with. Tips on this thread are v helpful. Thanks.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Go with what is most easily fixed if you break them (I get a lot of crash repairs back) and look at what you get with the wheels. Bare wheels or a bit more. It varies from wheel to wheel. Remember you ight change your bike and your next one might have different axle standards. Are the bits you need to convert available for the mavic campag or fulcrums find out before you buy or you might have to buy again.

Spoke count btw is only one factor in spoke life. Overal wheel lateral radial and torsional stiffness is what actually determines spoke life. The stiffer the wheel the smaller the tension changes during each revolution when rolling pedalling or braking. 24 spoke wheels are surprising reliable. I had my doubts till I did a test set and 2 years later I am still waiting for a spoke to go. The bike is heavy and I am not that light either (96kg bike and me and there are panniers too). I train on it as well.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • apreading
    Malcolm, do you reckon 24 is even OK for disc wheels under heavy braking for a heavy rider - where the braking force has to be transferred by the spokes resisting the twisting force unlike rim brakes? I thought the conventional wisdom was that this was pushing the boundaries a little and might be OK for a light rider but maybe not a heavier one?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    as I said 16 kg (there can be a few kg in the pannier too) bike 85-86kg rider kitted up and in winter more like 88kg kitted (clothing is heavy) and 24 spoke velocity ailerons with CX-rays have been doing fine. killed of two rear rims though by denting them so I am on my third now but the spokes and nipples are the same. It is becoming a triggers broom wheel. So replace the CX ray with a thicker spoke along with a thicker elbow. Add a stiffer rim and an offset one to boot and then yes 24 spoke wheels will be fine. This is what I do and one other wheel supplier seems to be doing the same (can you spot which one). the receipe is pretty simple. I think Campagnolo will be doing something similar. are not the fucrlum R5 DB rim offset? they look like they are in the pics and that would be sensible.

conventional wisdom is mostly BS. What matters is the overall stiffness of the wheel, 1) radial - for the weight, 2)torsional - for braking loads (and to a lesser extent pedalling loads) and 3) lateral- to take side loads. The higher the stiffness the smaller the tension changes in the spokes and the longer they last. the higher the spokes tension the longer the spoke last (hence offset drilling raise tension on the low side). Add thicker spoke elbow and you again extend spoke life. This is why fulcrum use the triplet lacing pattern as there is no low spoke tension side on there wheels and as there hub flanges on the disc side are big and therefore torque transfer is done on the that side of the wheel. the down side such wheels are less stiff laterally than conventional laced wheel with the same spoke count which is not possible with 21 spokes anyway.

Conventional wisdom looks at one thing assuming rims are the same as they were 10 years ago. They are not. Designs move on. If you tried doing a 24 spoke disc brake wheelset with the archetype and put a 95kg rider on it then yes problem will result but not with the right combination of part.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Hi All

Like a number of you I bought the Pro-Lite wheels from Wiggle. Up until now I have been very happy with them. When pumping up my tyres yesterday however, I noticed a number of cracks around a number of spoke holes in the rear wheel (example below). Has anyone else suffered from this?

y3mO29BJSlGdHildO9rr1XYYjtr9SxK2uNisiZVF8ljJZFcs6a5FVNwlEwa7TICwLKsRBgZRA5bwJhAKgzk_Ji-SKsKhm0WSiffH5q5DaEEI_eT4a7B0o8Ofmd-HaM_SnfCst088T6OMRMxc2jrCOkSGzHMt8hhwFHWLdqd9W05HEw?width=2988&height=3984&cropmode=none

I am in the process of sending the wheel back to Wiggle for an assessment. They were fitted in April and have only covered around 1500 road miles.

Cheers

Dave
  • apreading
    Sounds like it may be similar to what Paul got here: search.php?keywords=cracks&t=13041962&sf=msgonly
  • I will check mine very carefully later. They seem ok still. Light, roll well (lol).

I have to say though, that I really like the Fulcrum 5 Disc. They are heavier, but it's only 100g. They have less spokes, so they should be a bit more squishy (right). But they feel posh and lush. Ride really well.
  • I bought a set of the Cosine disc alloys for £180 a month or so ago. Now bear in mind that they're the first non standard wheels I've used, but so far - about 200 miles in - I have to say I'm very happy with them. They're far lighter and more responsive, but feel nicer and stiffer, than the stock Mavic rimmed wheels I got with the Boardman.

The only thing I would say is that the freehub is pretty loud, although I got used to it within a day or so and it makes commuting easier on cycle paths as people can here you coming when you coast. Otherwise excellent.
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • daniel_b
    Eeek, these posts are starting to concern me.
    How long is the warranty?
    I have two sets, one is in regular service on my alloy synapse, and one has not yet turned a wheel and will be shod with 32mm gravelkings for my carbon synapse but only for occasional use.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Hi folks, waited a while with no news, so bought a pair of superstar Alexrims 550 32 hole, switch ultra hubs, Spain lazer spokes for £119 on Saturday, ride really nice, bit heavier mind, on Monday got an email from wiggle saying your wheels have been dispatched, brand new set of revos, both came yesterday, great timing lol
  • Thanks for the update Paul. I was hoping mine was an isolated case, but it is obviously not.

It would interesting if others with these wheels could inspect them and report back. I think the warranty is 2 years.

I had looked at the Cosine and Racing 5 wheels mentioned, but I liked the idea of more spokes (I'm 6'5" and 90ish kg so thought the extra spokes were a sensible addition).

Cheers

Dave
  • apreading
    checked mine very carefully - 1500 miles on them and no sign of cracking.

It does trouble me a little. Once isolated case can maybe be dismissed but now we have a second. And I have a spare pair which havent even had a tyre put on them yet. Even if the warranty is two years, as you get closer to that, the chances of them agreeing it as a defect will diminish. Fortunately, Wiggle do free returns for a year, so I have another 6 months to see if anyone else (or my current set) has the same problems. If they do then I think I will return the unused pair. The thing is though, that by doing this and not running them, I dont know if there is a problem waiting to happen with them - part of me thinks I should try them out, the other says leave them in the box.
  • These look good at £400 https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/cero-ar ... 1?___SID=U

I currently have these, they've done around 1000 miles on my wife's bike mostly on trails and she's blown away by them. A big step-up on the Aksium discs.
    https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/cero-cr ... 7?___SID=U
  • daniel_b
    apreading wrote:
    checked mine very carefully - 1500 miles on them and no sign of cracking.

It does trouble me a little. Once isolated case can maybe be dismissed but now we have a second. And I have a spare pair which havent even had a tyre put on them yet. Even if the warranty is two years, as you get closer to that, the chances of them agreeing it as a defect will diminish. Fortunately, Wiggle do free returns for a year, so I have another 6 months to see if anyone else (or my current set) has the same problems. If they do then I think I will return the unused pair. The thing is though, that by doing this and not running them, I dont know if there is a problem waiting to happen with them - part of me thinks I should try them out, the other says leave them in the box.

I am in a very similar boat to you, except my second pair are only a month old, but like yours are unlikely to get any use until next spring, so I will be watching this thread intently, and carefully checking my current set regularly.

Wiggle do free returns through collect+, but bare in mind the official max size parcel is 60cm, which of course these exceed.

Alternatively I suppose you could likely flog them on ebay?

I did manage to get a set of Fulcrum 5's sent back the other year though, as the shop owner took puty on me.
    Otherwise the cost via parcelforce is circa £13.

I expect Wiggle being Wiggle, they would probably sort you out one way or another though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18