New £400 disc wheels?

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    I blame Wiggle.

Due to them not sending me out these wheels, I have now bought some handmade carbon clinchers from the classifieds :shock:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Daniel B wrote:
    I blame Wiggle.

Due to them not sending me out these wheels, I have now bought some handmade carbon clinchers from the classifieds :shock:

LOL! You buy cycling paraphernalia like there's a world shortage (which there possibly is for everyone else due to your mania :lol::lol::lol: )
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Dinyull wrote:
    Yep, same happened with me.

I returned the Cosine Disc at a cost of £14 to myself and had paid next day delivery for the Pro Lite's and ended up with some brake pads.

It's nice of Wiggle to offer those 2 wheelsets heavily discounted, but they're both over £60 more tha I was going to pay for the Pro Lite's so have asked if there is anything else they can offer in my price range.

Those 2 wheels look spot on, but looking to keep £ down as they're only for commuter/winter build.

Why did you pay to return them?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Free returns only apply to anything under 50 x 50 x 60cm with Collect+
  • daniel_b
    Daniel B wrote:
    I blame Wiggle.

LOL! You buy cycling paraphernalia like there's a world shortage (which there possibly is for everyone else due to your mania :lol::lol::lol: )

I try not to, but I think they will look lovely on my synapse, and the pro lites can be winter wheels then.
    And these will be summer wheels for my winter bike :?
    Dinyull wrote:

This is true, but I managed to get some Fulcrum 5's returned to Wiggle by smiling sweetly at my local newsagent, and she took pity on me.
    I also wonder if you gave them a sum of cash, if they had initially refused for example, whether they would take it anyway.
    Alternatively, if you enquire as to when the next scheduled pick up is, they might do it if you dropped it off on the morning the van was due for example - lots of them do not have much space for storage.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    apreading wrote:
    When you break, the stopping force is in the centre of the wheel but the friction on the road is at the circumference - meaning all the braking force is transmitted along the spokes, unlike rim brakes.
    Is this right? It sort of sounds right to me, and I recently broke a spoke on the front wheel of my disc braked bike under braking. I think this was the first time I've ever broken a spoke on the front wheel of a bike.

I'm not a physicist, but what you've described only sounds accurate if you were only trying to stop the wheel with the brakes. But you're not, you're trying to stop the whole bike and the rider. The forward momentum will be transmitted through the front forks and into the hub, so even on a rim braked bike you're going to be transmitting the braking force along the spokes and into the hub to stop the hub moving forwards as the forward speed of the wheel reduces.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Your bike is slowed down by the friction of the rubber on the tarmac. The rubber is forced to stop rotating by the resistance of the brakes. In the case of rim brakes, that resistance is on the rim, so the force is more directly passed onto the tyre. In the case of hub brakes, be they drum or disc, that force is passed onto the tyre through the spokes. Doesnt matter what is connected to the hub (bike/rider etc), slowing down is achieved by stopping the wheel from turning.

On a rim braked bike, all the spokes have to do is support the weight against gravity. On a hub braked bike, they have to do so much more.
  • bendertherobot
    Dinyull wrote:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/returns-uk

Doddle? Might not be one near you mind.
  • dinyull
    Closest is 150 miles away.
  • dinyull
    They are back in stock, and honored my pricematch.

The 3 blisters I have can vouch that they are indeed a pita to get tyres on (Pro 4's).
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    On the Pro-Lite Revo I have fitted, Open Pave 27mm, Ultremo 28mm, Randonnuer Pro 32mm, Pro4 Endurance 25mm, Marathon Racer 30mm, none have been difficult, none have required tyre levers, just good technique. Being tubeless compatible, the tyre well is shallower than standard clincher rims, You need to get the beads of the tyre right in the well for as far around as possible before pushing the final part of the tyre on
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Have done about 2500 miles on these revo wheels now, on a climb last week a spoke nipple snapped, got home ok on them, on closer inspection about ten spoke holes had severe cracks emanating from them, they've gone back to wiggle.
    Ps check inside them if used in the wet, mine seemed to hold water, and all the nipples had a lot of corrosion on the inside.
  • daniel_b
    Paul1000 wrote:
    Have done about 2500 miles on these revo wheels now, on a climb last week a spoke nipple snapped, got home ok on them, on closer inspection about ten spoke holes had severe cracks emanating from them, they've gone back to wiggle.
    Ps check inside them if used in the wet, mine seemed to hold water, and all the nipples had a lot of corrosion on the inside.

Ouch, that's not good......
    May well put paid to me getting a second set.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • isotonik
    isotonik Posts: 50
    should wheels not do this?
  • daniel_b
    Paul1000 wrote:

Paul - any update on this?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dinyull
    Dan - I've also acquired the slow speed squeal/squeak. Whereabouts in the QR seal did you add oil/grease to solve it? Any pics?
  • daniel_b
    Dinyull wrote:
    Dan - I've also acquired the slow speed squeal/squeak. Whereabouts in the QR seal did you add oil/grease to solve it? Any pics?

Hello mate, I think it might have gone away on it's own, or reduced, but I haven't been out on that bike for a while, so it may be worse than ever - will check by the weekend.

I do recall a reviewer on the Wiggle site said they had had it, and contacted the company who provided comprehensive instructions - would be good to have them on this thread eh, for reference.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bendertherobot
    Dinyull wrote:

It's the freehub. Whack the cassette off and see if there's any play. It's likely there will be a bit. Take a hex to the non drive side and a spanner to the drive side and undo the axle a bit. You should be able to either remove the freehub OR slide it far enough out to see the bearings. Chuck a bit of grease in and tighten up reversing the above. Should be fine then!

In other news I've just got some Fulcrum 5 Disc for £209 and they seem every bit as nice as the Revo if a little heavier. Not that 100g makes any difference at all.
  • dinyull
    Dinyull wrote:

It's the freehub. Whack the cassette off and see if there's any play. It's likely there will be a bit. Take a hex to the non drive side and a spanner to the drive side and undo the axle a bit. You should be able to either remove the freehub OR slide it far enough out to see the bearings. Chuck a bit of grease in and tighten up reversing the above. Should be fine then!

Cheers both, I'll give that a go and will let you know how I get on.
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Hi, no news on them yet, they said they were sending them back to prolite for a warranty claim.
  • apreading
    The squeak is fixed on mine now. From the start I had a slight squeak at the rear at low speed only. Unscrewed the cap on the non drive side of the hub and put grease around the edge. Fixed immediately. But then I got a squeak from the front only when wheeling the bike in and out of the garage, never when riding - until about 5 weeks in when it suddenly started at low speed when riding up hills, then even at more normal speeds. The trouble I had was that I couldn't get the end caps off the front wheel (using the thru axle kit which I couldn't get in so got LBS to do it) so took it back to LBS and they prised the end caps off then greased the edges then used a socket and hammer to put the caps back in. They said it's quite common, even in more upmarket hubs. Problem totally solved now, although I type this wondering if I am tempting fate by making that statement!
  • dinyull
    Yeah, that sounds identical to my squeak - when wheeling to garage etc.
  • daniel_b
    I just went to check my bike, and the squeak has gone!
    Bizarre.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bendertherobot
    Just to pop in and say that the Fulcrum 5 LG disc are quite lovely. Silky rollers (ignoring all that all bearings are silky).

But wanted to draw the board's attention to new offerings from CRC.

Brand is their own and called Prime, some interesting stuff in there.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q= ... 4294360104

What are they? No idea. Rims are Alex, spokes DT swiss, hubs could be Novatec.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Depending on what the specific components are and whether they're actually any good, would I be right in thinking that these are broadly comparable to the Revolights?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/prim ... prod142938

Very tempted by a pair for my Planet-X London Road
  • apreading
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Depending on what the specific components are and whether they're actually any good, would I be right in thinking that these are broadly comparable to the Revolights?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/prim ... prod142938

Very tempted by a pair for my Planet-X London Road

The rims are not as wide, less spokes (24 is too low for a disc wheel in some peoples opinion), and about 200g heavier. The hubs sound like they could be the same Novatec and come with the same conversion kits but looking at the pictures they are not the same - might be another hub from Novatec - perhaps a cheaper and heavier one.

I would go with the Pro-Lites or the Cosine from Wiggle over those Primes.
  • dinyull
    They're also out of stock!
  • daniel_b
    My second pair of Pro Lites have just arrived :D

Destined for 32mm Gravel Kings, and more SRAM rotors.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    My second pair of Pro Lites have just arrived :D

Wiggle refused my pricematch on those. How did you manage it?
  • dinyull
    It's luck of the draw. I got a pricematch on the 3rd attempt, just depends on who is manning the desk that day.