New £400 disc wheels?

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Opened mine up and all that was in there was (very little) really thin oil, which was leaking out over the cassette splines already. Put some grease around the pawls like above but not as much as that. Has made some difference but I think I should have used more grease and maybe coated it around inside the hub too - it was soo easy I couldnt believe so will take it off and add a little more at some point.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    They do all appear to be very dry.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bendertherobot
    So, if I jumped to a Bish Bash Bosh, which has thru axles, I'd keep both sets of Revo that I have.

Obviously there is one thru axle convertor supplied. So, question, what do I need to run thru on two pairs of wheels? I assume I need another adapter for each front? And some sort of QR type doobry?
  • apreading
    Each set comes with convertor for 15mm thru on front and 12mm thru on rear. So you could be able to convert both sets. Just the one QR axle/bolt that comes with the bike could be used whichever set of wheels you had on it, or are you just buying the frame?

The Bish Bash Box looks nice by the way - its also the first and only carbon bike that I have seen with proper pannier mounts as well as mudguards (which are getting more common).

If I hadnt just bought my Whyte Cornwall then I think I would give serious thought to buying the 22 speed version - its gorgeous in the orange! Not sure that I would swap my shimano gears/brakes ideally though.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    edited June 2016
    What about the Hope Hoops Pro 4 700c (Merlin have the front for £126, rear for £216 - https://www.merlincycles.com/hope-hoops ... 91099.html currently with an additional 10% off)

32 spokes front & back and that familiar Hope buzzsaw freewheel :)

Top tip: if you are buying a pair, buy them separately in two different orders otherwise the weight/volume takes it out of the free shipping (so it's £7 cheaper to buy the wheels in two orders)
  • apreading
    What about the Hope Hoops Pro 4 700c (Merlin have the front for £126, rear for £216 - https://www.merlincycles.com/hope-hoops ... 91099.html currently with an additional 10% off)

32 spokes front & back and that familiar Hope buzzsaw freewheel :)

Open Pro rim is a bit wobbly and only for lighter rider though, I thought?
  • apreading
    Bish Bash Bosh is very heavy for Carbon - 11Kg give or take - I would guess you can shave some with the wheels but it starts off about 2Kg heavier than I would expect.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    apreading wrote:
    Open Pro rim is a bit wobbly and only for lighter rider though, I thought?

Certainly doesn't seem at all wobbly to me (90kg)
  • bendertherobot
    apreading wrote:
    Bish Bash Bosh is very heavy for Carbon - 11Kg give or take - I would guess you can shave some with the wheels but it starts off about 2Kg heavier than I would expect.
    I reckon they have got that wrong. Will email them.
  • pitcaig
    pitcaig Posts: 39
    Wiggle is still doing the price match. I'm getting mine delivered tomorrow :D
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    apreading wrote:
    I reckon they have got that wrong. Will email them.

Let me know, as I am interested too, but not at 11kg.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    And some sort of QR type doobry?
    When I bought my MTB forks the bolt through axle came with them, by extension that could mean the frameset should come with bolt throughs. But I'd ask to be sure. Or if buying a complete bike the axles would always be on the bike and you shouldn't need spares.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    pitcaig wrote:
    Wiggle is still doing the price match. I'm getting mine delivered tomorrow :D

Bugger. Your the 2nd poster I've seen had success yesterday but I got knocked back on Monday.

Might give it another go and send back the wheels I ordered instead if successful.
  • apreading
    How good are the Cosine wheels though? They look like they may use the same hubs? Although in the Q&A someone says they cant be swapped for thru axle so maybe they are not, or maybe the poster is wrong just that the kit is not supplied in the box. The rims are asymmetric which could mean they are good. and the weight is pretty good too.

Would love to know more about the Cosine.
  • dinyull
    Yeah, the (limited) reviews seem good but the only thing that's gnawing away at me is they are relatively unknown. Only reason I've given them a shot is because Wiggle are so good at returns if anything goes awry.
  • dinyull
    The Cosine are on their way back as I managed to get Wiggle to pricematch the Pro Lite's.
  • apreading
    Damn - would have been nice if you had both at the same time to do a comparison. Glad you got your price match though.
  • pitcaig
    Dinyull wrote:
    The Cosine are on their way back as I managed to get Wiggle to pricematch the Pro Lite's.

Wiggle have messed up a bit. The pro lite wheels they have in stock are actually brake pads! They have just admitted to me that they don't actually have any of the wheelsets in stock and don't know when they will be.
    I've stayed in the last 2 days waiting on the wheels to be delivered and both times it's been brake pads.

But they offered me the Novatec CX wheelset
  • apreading
    I think I would take the Novatec - they come with even more fittings/axles for the wheels.

f6ae2e7b-b6a6-5224-96da-d399aaae8ab0
  • pitcaig
    I've went with the Novatec wheels. I think they have given me a good price. But I can always send them back if I'm not happy with them. Hopefully they will turn up tomorrow. Third time lucky
  • azzurri78
    azzurri78 Posts: 104
    Same here. Not great but not the end of the world.

Been offered the Novatec CXD for £241 and the Kinesis Crosslight V4 for £221. I assume the Novatex win?

Shame Wiggle dont stock the Racelight disc wheels as I wouldnt have minded those.
  • apreading
    ah - ok, i assumed the offer of the novatec CXD was for the same price. At £80 more, I would stick with the Prolites. Both of those wheel offers are good, just not as good as prolites for £160.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Bold I know but my Pro lite revos are as good as ksyrium elites and nearly as good as some ugo handbuilts with DA hubs I had and all for 159 quid!
  • bendertherobot
    I honestly can't fault mine.
  • azzurri78
    Think the issue is they don't know when thy will have stock of the Pro-lites (although the website says late June)

As it's a second wheelset I have no issue in calling their bluff and saying I'm happy to wait (if people think they offer better value for money than the Novatec's).

Although I might ask them to honour the Novatec's at £159. :lol:
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    apreading wrote:
    ah - ok, i assumed the offer of the novatec CXD was for the same price. At £80 more, I would stick with the Prolites. Both of those wheel offers are good, just not as good as prolites for £160.

Agreed, 50% more is too much, but if they came down to £200 for example, that is worth it no, 170g saving or so, think they clock in at 1470.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pitcaig
    I'm getting the Novatec's off them for £200.44 so not sure why they can't offer that to other people in the same position.
    They have been dispatched so should be here tomorrow. Another day waiting in for the courier.
  • apreading
    Actually, looking propertly at the Novatecs, I see they have 20/24 spokes. As a heavier rider, no way would I have that few spokes on a disc wheel. When you break, the stopping force is in the centre of the wheel but the friction on the road is at the circumference - meaning all the braking force is transmitted along the spokes, unlike rim brakes. General receommendation is that 28 spokes or more is best for a reliable disc wheel. I would only consider less if you are a light rider but I know people do it without complaint. The review here seems to like them: http://road.cc/content/review/121253-no ... r-wheelset

The Novatec rim is also not as wide as the Prolites, so I think for most I would recommend the Prolite still.

I do wonder if the Cosine may be as good or even better, despite a lower RRP to start with.
  • azzurri78
    pitcaig wrote:
    I'm getting the Novatec's off them for £200.44 so not sure why they can't offer that to other people in the same position.
    They have been dispatched so should be here tomorrow. Another day waiting in for the courier.

Bit cheeky of wiggle to offer them to me for £240 :shock:

Appreciate its probably because they have a multitude of customer advisors and it all depends who you get.

will wait for the Pro-lites or at least ask for a bigger discount on the Novatec's. I'm currently 65kg so spoke count is less of an issue
  • dinyull
    Yep, same happened with me.

I returned the Cosine Disc at a cost of £14 to myself and had paid next day delivery for the Pro Lite's and ended up with some brake pads.

It's nice of Wiggle to offer those 2 wheelsets heavily discounted, but they're both over £60 more tha I was going to pay for the Pro Lite's so have asked if there is anything else they can offer in my price range.

Those 2 wheels look spot on, but looking to keep £ down as they're only for commuter/winter build.