New £400 disc wheels?

Comments

• PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    Just got some CERO ARD23 from Cycledivision with free tyres. Look good !
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    Why not wait for the new Campag Zonda disk wheels to drop? That's what I'm going to do.
    Should be next year, heaven knows when.

http://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Wheels/zonda_disc_brake
    http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/reviews/first-look-campagnolo-zonda-db-disc-brake-wheels
  • OJS
    OJS Posts: 130
    They are in stock at Pro Bike Kit. But 500 notes, seems way over priced. Couple of Northern Ireland sites have them at around £420 in stock and Mantel are showing at £380 but not in stock. Looking at the spec I was hoping for £300/£350 though.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    tincaman wrote:
    Anyone with the Revo running it tubeless? Did you swap the tape for something else.

Yes I used Stans Tape and Hutchinson sealant/valves - seemed to work well and tyres inflated with a track pump. There is a knack to it though!
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    solboy10 wrote:
    tincaman wrote:
    Anyone with the Revo running it tubeless? Did you swap the tape for something else.

Yes I used Stans Tape and Hutchinson sealant/valves - seemed to work well and tyres inflated with a track pump. There is a knack to it though!
    Cheers, I will change the tape, 2 wraps should be OK. And what's the"knack" ?
  • tincaman
    After taking the rim strip off the front wheel of the Revo's, a fair bit of water came out, and all the heads of the spoke nipples are furred up. I put a drop of oil on each one, its in the dryer cupboard now for a couple of days
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Hi, I have a brand new pair of revos sitting in the garage, replacements from wiggle, I want to run them tubeless next year with some sector 28's, what width tape would I need?
  • tincaman
    I did mine with 19mm Tesa tape, but 21mm Stans tape will fit full width
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Paul1000 wrote:
    Hi, I have a brand new pair of revos sitting in the garage, replacements from wiggle, I want to run them tubeless next year with some sector 28's, what width tape would I need?

Now days I never use the manufacturers rim tape, I ve struggled with Maxis Pradones on both my Kinesis CX rims . One run of 25mm Gorilla tape always get me a seal though, even just with the track pump. £3 a role and enough for 4 sets of rims. be careful cutting the valve hole though, Its webbing type tape so a split can turn to a run quite easily.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    One thing I will say is that, while I dont run tubeless, on some Stans Crest rims that I need an hour to (badly) put a tyre on with normal velux rim tape or the stuff superstar supply the rims with - putting Stans tubeless rim tape on makes the job sooo much easier, because its really quite thin and doesnt slide around. If you are having trouble getting tyres on the Revos then it might be worth trying these - it works when you run tubes too!
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    I'm looking for some of what you lot have! Other than the ARD23s from Cero, it looks like all the other options are gone? Novatec CXD are over £300, Cosines are nowhere to be seen, and Prolites are £280 and Ribble dont have any. Fulcrum 5s are £250 on wiggle for QR fit.
  • ok have pulled the trigger on the ARD23's hope there ok, the carbon CEROs have a very narrow rim so probably not the best for cross
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    Are you running QR or TA. The QR adapters on the front are pull off ( very tight though ) and on the rear ,one side requires an allen key to remove and cone spanner to add, the other is pull off. Cycle Division sell a tool to hold the rear axle to undo / tighten the rear adapter. I have the AR30s on my summer bike and they have been great so I also got the ARD23s, so far so good.
  • I bought a pair of Hunt 4 Season Disc wheels a couple of weeks ago.

They are ace for under £400, 1565g with skewers and everything to run tubeless.

I'm running them with tubes and Vittoria pavés in 25mm and they're really fast rolling
  • yup PK1 i ordered the tool im running QR but may be turning to through axle in the near future so ordered with the 12mm adaptors also and a spare free hub just in case there not easy to obtain in the future,
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    pinches wrote:
    I bought a pair of Hunt 4 Season Disc wheels a couple of weeks ago.

They are ace for under £400, 1565g with skewers and everything to run tubeless.

I'm running them with tubes and Vittoria pavés in 25mm and they're really fast rolling

Been running mine for 5 months and very happy with them. Still running them with tubes and 28mm GP4seasons.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    Fellas, the Croix has turned up and it has Alexrims draw 1.9s 410g per rim with 19mm diameter, 32h 14g stainless spokes with brass nipples and Shimano RS505 hubs. I was expecting the cheaper wheels with alloy nipples and heavier rims but it seems that the 30 shares the wheelset with the £3k Ti option. Hubs are supposedly 305g for front hub and 395g for the rear hub. Thats 1510g before I even consider the spoke weights! The spokes add another 900g taking total weight without tapes to 2.4kg. I'm expecting a significant saving on weight over these wheels.

What I'm really looking at is Crosslights, Fulcrum 5s, and probably Hunt 4season disc. Are any of these a worthwhile upgrade over what I already have? Predominantly road, mix of terrains for around 20% of riding. Rider around 75kg.

Im hoping to shift the wheels I have new, to offset the cost of the new ones but ideally would be looking at Fulcrum 5s on the Ribble price match (unfortunately out of stock). The Hunts still look a bit over the budget.
  • I doubt your spokes will weigh 900 grams. The heaviest spokes are 10 grams each, 11 with the nipples... that makes around 700 grams
    left the forum March 2023
  • I bought the hunts because they were the best value for the weight and they're a decent width.

you basically trade weight for being a bit cheaper - i previously had a pair of Ksyrium discs which were ok but 1800g and not that wide.

I also have a pair of Aksium Discs that came on a bike i bought that i won't use having bought the hunts. They look nice but again a bit heavy for my taste.
  • A year on and both my sets of Pro Lite are still going as strong as ever. No nipple issues, no return of that initial squeak.

Do I love them? No, they are a pig for getting stuff on and off. But they are, it seems, bomb proof. For £160 they are incredibly good. For £350 I'd definitely get something else.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Really glowing review of Malcolm at The Cycle Clinic's Borg22 Ts. I have a pair on a road bike and love them.
  • pitcaig
    pitcaig Posts: 39
    Hi
    Just noticed on my Novatec CXD rear wheel that there is a few cracks around the spokes with one being really bad.
    Wheel is still true and no pot hole damage visible. I've to send them back to wiggle for inspection to see if I can get a warranty claim as the wheel set is only 10 months old and approx 2000 miles.
    I would have thought that they should have lasted longer than that.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    For the Pro Lite Revo owners, I've just discovered this:

https://plus.google.com/photos/102169385458460802240/album/6407445619308820817/6407445618325065218?authkey=CNOqyt6IibqNgAE

More than 5 of the nipples have basically dissolved, and I could probably pick the rest apart. Front wheel isn't as bad, but going the same way.

Will let you know how I get on with Wiggle, but because of them being "discounted" can't see them replacing like for like....not that I'd be down for that tbh.
  • bmxboy10
    Dinyull wrote:

https://plus.google.com/photos/102169385458460802240/album/6407445619308820817/6407445618325065218?authkey=CNOqyt6IibqNgAE

More than 5 of the nipples have basically dissolved, and I could probably pick the rest apart. Front wheel isn't as bad, but going the same way.

Will let you know how I get on with Wiggle, but because of them being "discounted" can't see them replacing like for like....not that I'd be down for that tbh.

They were price matched not discounted...
  • dinyull
    Hence "discounted".
  • dinyull
    Dinyull wrote:

I should add, the wheels have been used on a commuter/winter bike in all conditions and have covered just shy of 3k miles. For those of you that are using them sparingly I'd keep that in mind. The nipples literally fell apart just by touch, so a thorough inspection would quickly show any faulty ones.
  • dinyull
    Dinyull wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:

I should add, the wheels have been used on a commuter/winter bike in all conditions and have covered just shy of 3k miles. For those of you that are using them sparingly I'd keep that in mind. The nipples literally fell apart just by touch, so a thorough inspection would quickly show any faulty ones.

Wiggle's response, which I'm a bit pi$$ed off about:

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13078667
  • tincaman
    Did anybody manage to get the Ribble Revo deal for £90/100? Was only on for 24hrs before the price went went up
  • bmxboy10
    tincaman wrote:
    Did anybody manage to get the Ribble Revo deal for £90/100? Was only on for 24hrs before the price went went up
    I called Ribble and they advised they were OEM and not the ones Wiggle sell - tried a cheeky price match with Wiggle and they were having none of it!