Cross 2015/2016 *Spoilers*

Comments

• The British ladies look over priced to me
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    I wonder whether Van Aert has been 'sand bagging' recently - and has just done enough to win the World Cup. And come Sunday, will turn up full 100%. Saying that, on current form it's another WC for Van Der Poel.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • The British ladies look over priced to me

How rude! :wink:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    AndyRAC wrote:
    I wonder whether Van Aert has been 'sand bagging' recently - and has just done enough to win the World Cup. And come Sunday, will turn up full 100%. Saying that, on current form it's another WC for Van Der Poel.

I really hope so, for no other reason that if he hasnt we cold be in for 2 very damp squibs...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Good odds on Katie Compton. She was a close second to Cant on the same course a month ago.
  • ddraver
    Interviews with Sanne Cant suggest that she'd swap her whole season (which thus far stands at World Cup and very likely the Superprestige AND BPost Trofee - everything basically) for the stripes...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Interviews with Sanne Cant suggest that she'd swap her whole season (which thus far stands at World Cup and very likely the Superprestige AND BPost Trofee - everything basically) for the stripes...

I'd swap my whole next season to see her mard lip again.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    meanie!

I can't help but like her. Man I bet she was bullied at school. If she just got herself a proper hair cut she'd look good. She needs a teen movie type scene where the jock's (Boonen?) sister takes off her glasses, pulls out her pony tail in slow motion and she shakes her head in super slo mo whilst sixpence none the richer plays in the background...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    meanie!

I can't help but like her. Man I bet she was bullied at school. If she just got herself a proper hair cut she'd look good. She needs a teen movie type scene where the jock's (Boonen?) sister takes off her glasses, pulls out her pony tail in slow motion and she shakes her head in super slo mo whilst sixpence none the richer plays in the background...

God almighty. Unbeknownst to me, when I got on the turbo this morning I must have ridden back to 1973
  • ddraver
    *googles She's all That"

Hmmm, RR2 is making a different point... :oops:
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    meanie!

I can't help but note how much thought you've given this scenario.

The current issue of Bahamontes has a nice photo essay comparing her winter to Jolien "Merelbeke" De Hoore. She seems to eat a lot of pancakes.

I'm not a fan of judging female athletes by their appearance and I would note that my interest is purely in witnessing a sulk of epic proportions.

@gietvangent
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    I really want Cant to win. She would definitely do the stripes justice and her dominance this season has been very impressive.

Whether it's just her face or whether she's actually sulking on the podium - it doesn't matter to me, don't really want to see people turning up to the biggest race of the season as a top favourite and being happy with second place (Degenkolb in Roubaix.. not cool)
  • ddraver
    To be clear, I'm not judging her at all. I really admire her and people like her mostly because i reckon if i'd have had a bit of that about me a few things in my life may be going a bit better. I shout in her face as loud as I shout at any CX rider

(Kevin Pauwls excepted, he can get lost...)

Edit - I ll see if I can find that Bahamontes, I think the club cafe has started stocking them now
    - @ddraver
  • ShutupJens
    What's your beef with Pauwels?
  • ShutupJens
    Duplicate
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    yeah. I've always thought Kevin Pauwels was a decent bloke.
    Good piece on him here: http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/01/ ... aks_359406
  • ShutupJens wrote:

Just the worst wheelsucker there ever was. He never takes the initiative in a race and always just follows hoping the guys in front make a mistake. Wuyts even remarked with shock that he was on the front of the group chasing 1st and 2nd on the Hoogerheide coverage last weekend.

Also, that rap video.

@gietvangent
  • ddraver wrote:
    To be clear, I'm not judging her at all. I really admire her and people like her mostly because i reckon if i'd have had a bit of that about me a few things in my life may be going a bit better. I shout in her face as loud as I shout at any CX rider

(Kevin Pauwls excepted, he can get lost...)

Edit - I ll see if I can find that Bahamontes, I think the club cafe has started stocking them now

I think I have a full set now, if you want any next time you're over. Cleaned up at the roller racing raffle.

@gietvangent
  • ShutupJens
    I hadn't really seen it like that - he's very consistent and rarely shapes a race, but doing so can often backfire in cross as much as it can win you things. I'd rather see that than someone like Mourey going hard as he can for the first lap and then fading into 10th-15th, the threat that Pauwels brings to the table is that he is always there, which can make for tension all the way to the end

• I don't have youtube allowed at work but I'm going to assume you have located some rare archive footage of a Kevin Pauwels attack or you have posted his rap video.

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ShutupJens wrote:

Just the worst wheelsucker there ever was. He never takes the initiative in a race and always just follows hoping the guys in front make a mistake. Wuyts even remarked with shock that he was on the front of the group chasing 1st and 2nd on the Hoogerheide coverage last weekend.

Also, that rap video.

That (I admit that this was something DG pointed out and then I can never un-see)

Hangs around the back of the chase group like a bad smell and never makes an attempt to win. The Simon Gerrans of CX but with out the victories.
    - @ddraver

• I don't have youtube allowed at work but I'm going to assume you have located some rare archive footage of a Kevin Pauwels attack or you have posted his rap video.

Superprestige from Ruddervorde last year, don't think that would count as rare or archive. Not really sure it's an attack either.
  • ddraver
    GCN have done a preview with J-Pow (and the typical Matt Shenanigans). Can't get the link on my phone but it's in the usual places
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    GCN have done a preview with J-Pow (and the typical Matt Shenanigans). Can't get the link on my phone but it's in the usual places

He was absolute dreck at Hoogerheide. He must have lost 1 minute and 20 places from a front row start.

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    There was some twitter nonsense going on about how MvdP and WvA blocked him out. I can't quite see how that made so much difference though. There were periods where was was just riding round solo at the back. To be honest I think he just had a mard lip of his own on
    - @ddraver
  • ShutupJens
    This will be twitter nonsense from people who haven't ridden a proper, gridded, cross start before. Flick or be flicked!
  • ddraver
    Well not that the Euros were in the wrong but that it was ok to sulk and give up when you enter the corner in 20th not 10th. Sorry "J-Pow" but MTFU and race! There were 30 or so riders who started 2, 3, 4 rows behind you that did...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    There was some twitter nonsense going on about how MvdP and WvA blocked him out. I can't quite see how that made so much difference though. There were periods where was was just riding round solo at the back. To be honest I think he just had a mard lip of his own on

Getting flicked by two far superior riders? Ain't life a b×txt?

@gietvangent