Cross 2015/2016 *Spoilers*

Comments

• ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Yeah, wouldn't have been an issue if they weren't half a length up on him by that point. I was surprised to see him on the front row to be honest as I struggle to follow much of the non-world cup stuff. Must pick up a lot of UCI points in the smaller races right?

Edit - yes, didn't realise how many American UCI races there are
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    22yr old Thalita de Jong with a masterful performance

Caroline Mani in 2nd, also with a super effort

Cant in third

Nicki had a good dig on the penultimate lap but only hel on for 5th (Wyman 11th)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • SanneFace coming up!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    ddraver wrote:
    22yr old Thalita de Jong with a masterful performance

Caroline Mani in 2nd, also with a super effort

Cant in third

Nicki had a good dig on the penultimate lap but only hel on for 5th (Wyman 11th)
    Came in late but saw the exciting finishing laps. WOW
    De Jong says she only caught the leaders with one and half laps to go.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • ddraver
    It's not really neccessary to put a camera on her to watch her crying FFS!
    - @ddraver
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Not even a mention we have a world champ?!

EVIE RICHARDS

History made.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • Seems to be some good young Brits coming through. Evie Richards winning the Women's U23 Championship, dominating the race and Thomas Pidcock fifth in the Men's Juniors, after starting on the sixth row of the grid.
  • ddraver
    I'm ashamed to say after all my posting that i didnt realise that the womens races were today, so I i only just caught the elite women's :oops:
    - @ddraver
  • LeePaton wrote:
    Not even a mention we have a world champ?!

EVIE RICHARDS

History made.

1st British world champ in cross since Roger Hammond at junior level?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    edited January 2016
    Evie Richards is an absolute monster - quite amused to hear Ant McCrossan going on about her as a surprise choice pre-race. 2nd at MTB worlds and won at the nationals at a very competitive pace. Barnes & James particularly are highly technically proficient (in the MTB sense) and not surprised to see their strong showings as well. The future looks incredibly bright, IF these women race CX consistently (which is unlikely).

Pidcock did great. I saw him quoted as saying with luck he could of won (i.e., luck in not falling off). I'm not sure he's one for the future though as he's on the track programme and good riders don't need good luck - they need to practice the skills necessary and I don't think he will be given that opportunity. Tulett and Donovan not really mentioned, but great rides and my money is on them for next year.

I felt for Nikki Harris - stalling on a section she'd been riding well allowed the gap to close and her opponents' significantly better running skills were the difference.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Quite strange how Harris is so bad at running. Almost painful to watch.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • Poor core would be my guess. Everyone around her looked more stable and physically stronger on the 2nd running section.
  • ddraver
    Miss Cant's comments last year about the people who don't race cross having an advantage over the full time cross racers (who can't just take a month off before the race as they are paid by appearance fees) is beginning to look more and more prescient.

T'was ever thus at the world champs but still...
    - @ddraver
  • I suppose there's an element of that, but there's nothing to stop Cant tapering appropriately to reach a peak for the WC. It's not exactly rocket science - you have to sacrifice the races that aren't as important to you (i.e. early season WC, bpost & superprestige) in order to prepare for the one you want. It's hard to be as sympathetic on the 2nd occasion it's happened.
  • In further news - apparently a motor was found in one of the u23 female rider's bikes, rumoured to be one of the Belgian team.

https://twitter.com/Vannieuwkerke/statu ... 5408518144
  • PuttyKnees wrote:
    In further news - apparently a motor was found in one of the u23 female rider's bikes, rumoured to be one of the Belgian team.

https://twitter.com/Vannieuwkerke/statu ... 5408518144

Was just gonna post that. De Standard names Femke Van den Driessche and says it was an unused pit bike

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    is there anything that says its a motor??? could equally be a tyre labelled 32c that measured closer to 33mm...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    I suppose there's an element of that, but there's nothing to stop Cant tapering appropriately to reach a peak for the WC. It's not exactly rocket science - you have to sacrifice the races that aren't as important to you (i.e. early season WC, bpost & superprestige) in order to prepare for the one you want. It's hard to be as sympathetic on the 2nd occasion it's happened.

the point is that she cant do that because she doesnt get paid. its not like de Jong or PFP who get x amount of money from a team regardless of whether or not they race.

its hard not to notice that the riders winning the recent racers all started their cross seasons late...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    is there anything that says its a motor??? could equally be a tyre labelled 32c that measured closer to 33mm...

DS says motor.

@gietvangent
  • Quick call to my man in the know... she's claiming the bike is a friends who was working her pit and he brought it there. Not sure if its the same model as her team bike or not at this stage

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    edited February 2016
    From Sophie de Boer

Troost!!!!

CZ_OG3xUsAAt4C-.jpg

nice!
    - @ddraver
  • Fritjes and coffee?! Have a word

@gietvangent
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    It,s just been confirmed they found a motor in the seatpost.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • ddraver
    Has it?

The report I saw said wires coming out of the seapost, from a Di2 battery for example...
    - @ddraver
  • ademort
    ddraver wrote:
    Has it?

The report I saw said wires coming out of the seapost, from a Di2 battery for example...
    http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/952/Wielrennen ... iets.dhtml
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • ademort
    The latest report suggests that the bike was from a training partner (man) and had nothing to do with her. The big question is what was she doing with the bike then in her possesion The riders Father said its all a misunderstanding and she was never meant to ride that bike.Its caused an enormous outrage from the Belgian cycling federation.We certainly have not heard the last of this.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    This is pretty damning;

https://t.co/rf0cEcenNz

It's the splits from the Koppenberg Cross in November, where she was second. 5% faster than anyone else in the women's field on the uphill bit. The commentator on Belgian TV says "she is so strong on the climbs but losing time everywhere else, must be a technique thing".
  • ddraver
    edited February 2016
    Dangerously close to Vayer territory there but i see your point. It's not your typical CX course though. Jolien Verschuren won in some style, something she hasn't really repeated again....
    - @ddraver
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    ddraver wrote:
    Has it?

The Belgian team has confirmed it's 'technological fraude', a motor.

This is very, very bad for cycling. If there's anything to encourage the tin foil hat brigades...
  • ddraver
    I really hope we get the whole story on this and she and her team don't just get disappeared...
    - @ddraver