Disc brakes in the Pro ranks.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Vuelta and Eneco Tour were nominated as trial periods.

No others (I don't think, not sure why Romandie wouldnt also be part of the trial. Worlds I can understand I s'pose)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    At the Vuelta:
    SPTDW708.jpg
    SPTDW701.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    FT saying that this development makes going long shimano a no brainier.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Thanks interesting. I wonder if competition from Rotor and FSA in the groupset market will dent their market share at all?

Disc brakes seem to be taking off especially in the cross/gravel bike market but I'm starting to see a few lads that don't race turn up with them on their "best" road bikes now too. Any news on a Campag version because they are looking a bit late to the party on this.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    The competition from Rotor and FSA will add to the competition at the top end. But Shimano only really has competition at the top end as it is - it has a 70% share of the groupset market, but when it comes to low end stuff it pretty much has a monopoly (by low end I mean the kinds of bikes that are used as a means of transport for large portions of the world's population, not anything you can get on Cycle to Work ;) ).
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Yes true, there's Microshift I suppose but even then I don't know if they are purely a maker of components for low end road bikes or if they go beyond that.

You do see some other stuff on everyday bikes, Suntour springs to mind, I don't know if that is just badge engineering though or what.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    FT saying that this development makes going long shimano a no brainier.

Seriously?

On another note, I had a relaxed weekend in London this weekend d and so like any good cyclinst I test rode a bike, which had disks. When the inevitable murderous driving tried to kill me I hard to do a hard stop from "full" cruising speed. I have to say that the SRAM brakes were fantastic. It's one of those moments where you go "why are we still putting up with this crap"...by which I mean rim brakes

I'm totally sold
    - @ddraver
  • Am i wrong that ddraver has spent 8 pages arguing fervently why disk brakes are unnecessary and then gone and tried some - and in the space of a short test ride, is thoroughly converted?
  • ddraver
    Well no, not really. I ve been arguing ferverently that they re a great idea...

I'd test ridden bikes with them before now but not for a year or two since I bought a new road frame as that was all I could afford. It was one of those moments where having had a wet and muddy club ride on wednesday night feeling like you were destroying your bike every time you thought about braking, some cockwoble decides to do a U-ey right in front of me and I have to stop suddenly. I locked both wheels but could easily control the skid because of the modulation. having stopped a half meter or so from the car it was clear that had I had normal rim brakes I'd have been sprawled over the bonnet at best...

The second feeling was how and why are we still putting up with poor quality braking when we ve had the technology for years? for no other reason than because Alberto/Chris/Vincenzo/Tommeke doesnt use them..

well that's rubbish
    - @ddraver
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Recently got a road bike with hydraulic discs and the control / power over braking is much better for me than rim brakes.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Most people agree that hydraulic discs are better than caliper brakes. But why is there no clamour from pro peloton riders to be allowed to use them?

In all probability, they probably haven't tried them much. They race UCI legal bikes, they most likely train on UCI legal bikes too.

I think pro's train on the bikes they race to maintain the familiarity. Seem to remember a feature looking at pro's winter bikes and they were basically race bikes with training wheels and maybe a clip-on mudguard.

There's also the fact that slow wheel changes and not being able to get a wheel from neutral service are genuine concerns for a pro. And they race on closed roads, often long and straight - how much time of a 4-5 hour race will actually be spent on the brakes? And in tight bunches it doesn't matter what brakes you have, you don't have enough time to stop if the rider in front hits the deck. It's probably one part of the bike they're not that fussed about. There's probably a bunch of rules (perhaps the weight limit) they'd like to see changed first.

I imagine the rule change is being pushed by the industry. There's a definite market out there but it's hard to pitch a bike as The Best Ever if it's not seen on telly winning races.

Pros train and race on the bikes they're told to ride
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Do you remember the time when we were all just interested in bikes going faster?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Do you remember the time when we were all just interested in bikes going faster?

As DDRaver wrote, sometimes we're interested in bikes stopping faster as well...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ...and if you believe James May, the key to making a car/bike go faster is to make it stop better

(yes, I know)
    - @ddraver
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    ...and if you believe James May, the key to making a car/bike go faster is to make it stop better

(yes, I know)

an engine helps too :)
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Looks like they'll be allowed in WorldTour races from 1st January - 160mm standard front and rear.

Amateur races from Jan 1 2017.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • ddraver
    Whoop!
    - @ddraver
  • gweeds
    Which of course means an absolute avalanche of disc bikes being launched next year
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Which of course means an absolute avalanche of disc bikes being launched next year

:)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ddraver
    Which of course means an absolute avalanche of disc bikes being launched next year

Whoop Whoop!
    - @ddraver
  • gweeds

Whoop Whoop!

:lol::lol::lol:
  • gweeds
    Already seeing much wailing and gnashing of teeth from people. We don't need better stopping. They will cut themselves on hot discs. There will be more crashes. It's just a way for the industry to sell us new bikes (like that's a new thing).

Had to laugh that one of the people saying the last one was David Millar. He of the Chapt.III/Castelli clothing that's, erm, designed to sell us new kit.
  • ddraver
    t'was ever thus Gweeds...
    - @ddraver
  • IIRC when Cannondale launched their 2016 bikes there was for a moment a Supersix Red Disc that fiarly quickly disappeared...
  • gweeds
    t'was ever thus Gweeds...

Ain't that the truth.

Everyone moans that there's no innovation and the moment something happens scream that 'we don't need no stiiinking discs'
  • I had to smile at Millar's last tweet when he said that "It's not about braking, it's about traction .......... the tyre is already at the max" Without getting into the ability to modulate the discs, the greater power (hydraulic pressure + increased pad/disc surface area) etc. the fundamental problem is that he's failed to recognise that even the simple move to 25mm tyres increases the contact area (as it deforms under braking/cornering load) and therefore improves the potential stopping.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Millar having a moan as he was implying that no Pro riders were consulted int he decision to allow discs in Pro races.

He seems to have missed the entire back half of last season where teams could test out discs in races and feed back to the UCI as to whether they should be allowed or not. Furthermore, just because they ARE allowed does not mean the are compulsory.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    Is a shame really.

Will make my bike look very out-of-date in a couple years.

:roll:

It's almost like the bike manufacturers who sponsor teams want us to spend more money on our bikes to make us feel less inferior.
  • gweeds
    I refuse to believe that.