Disc brakes in the Pro ranks.

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    [quote="I'm not so sure. As my driving instructor once told me to remember - brakes stop the wheel, tyres stop the car.

Exactly. The brake performance will apparently move forward in one giant leap but the performance of the rubber on the ground remains the same. Discs will be fun on smooth wet roads. :lol: Wet rims/brake blocks on wet roads engender greater caution, disc brakes will afford the less skilled greater opportunities for crashes on wet roads.

DD.
    We might see a few more people drop their bike on wet roads after losing the front. However, how many riders over-shoot corners or crash into things because their brakes take 20m to scrub off the water before working properly?

People seem to be focussing on power when it comes to discs and they are missing the point - discs work better in low traction as well. Braking on loose gravel is better with discs for example.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Most people agree that hydraulic discs are better than caliper brakes. But why is there no clamour from pro peloton riders to be allowed to use them?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Most people agree that hydraulic discs are better than caliper brakes. But why is there no clamour from pro peloton riders to be allowed to use them?

In all probability, they probably haven't tried them much. They race UCI legal bikes, they most likely train on UCI legal bikes too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827

In all probability, they probably haven't tried them much. They race UCI legal bikes, they most likely train on UCI legal bikes too.

I think pro's train on the bikes they race to maintain the familiarity. Seem to remember a feature looking at pro's winter bikes and they were basically race bikes with training wheels and maybe a clip-on mudguard.

There's also the fact that slow wheel changes and not being able to get a wheel from neutral service are genuine concerns for a pro. And they race on closed roads, often long and straight - how much time of a 4-5 hour race will actually be spent on the brakes? And in tight bunches it doesn't matter what brakes you have, you don't have enough time to stop if the rider in front hits the deck. It's probably one part of the bike they're not that fussed about. There's probably a bunch of rules (perhaps the weight limit) they'd like to see changed first.

I imagine the rule change is being pushed by the industry. There's a definite market out there but it's hard to pitch a bike as The Best Ever if it's not seen on telly winning races.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

I don't see the weight thing as being a real issue, it's already pretty straightforwards to build up a disc bike to the UCI weight limit and once they catch on we should get some more road-specific development.
    !

For pros maybe but the weight limit is pretty much theoretical for amateurs in that nobody weighs our bikes.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Because they ride what they're told to and until a team fully embraces disc, their riders won't - whether in favour of them or otherwise.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • prana-ferox
    prana-ferox Posts: 138
    edited August 2015
    how come there hasnt been a massive take up in their use in european pro cyclo cross ?
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Wheel changes take a few seconds in endurance motorcycle racing, if the motivation is there someone will develop the technology.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    how come there hasnt been a massive take up in their use in european pro cyclo cross ?

Because there is no sport less progressive than Belgian cross

(lets be honest, if Cross progressed it would just become XCO so there are some reasons for it...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ber - a post of the quality of Dolan Drivers kind of speaks for itself. If someone is that uninformed, they won't be told by you or me...

Easy, Tiger. No need to get so bent out of shape over a discussion on brakes! :lol:

DD.
  • bikingjohn
    bikingjohn Posts: 202
    I was playing with a 2015 Defy Advanced SL 0 with Zipp 202 disc rims and Di2 in the shop a month or so ago and it was like looking at the future. I actually think the wheels look nicer without the brake track anyway - just need to find the cash!
    THIS!
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • mercia_man
    Shimano, SRAM and MTB converts to road biking are the loudest supporters of discs in the peleton. Pro riders are generally indifferent or anti. Will it benefit the sport to force them to use discs?
  • ddraver
    Yes, as discussed.
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    Main problem for me is I'm a total sucker for wanting to buy what the pros use.

Literally can't help myself.

I know that if I spend 2-3 years watching pros on disc brakes, I will turn to my (rather wonderful) Canyon and come to an ostensibly rational conclusion that I definitely need a new bike with disc brakes, despite the fact that the Canyon is everything and more for the riding I do.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Main problem for me is I'm a total sucker for wanting to buy what the pros use.

Literally can't help myself.

I know that if I spend 2-3 years watching pros on disc brakes, I will turn to my (rather wonderful) Canyon and come to an ostensibly rational conclusion that I definitely need a new bike with disc brakes, despite the fact that the Canyon is everything and more for the riding I do.

Same.

Also on a Canyon and I get home from any ride thinking that there's really nothing more I need from a bike.

It's a lie I keep telling myself.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • mercia_man
    Yes, as discussed.

Yes, Dave, I read your argument that discs in the pro peleton will speed up R&D. But that is surely a benefit for industry profits and consumers who will have an improved product. My question, though, is will it benefit the sport?

I might add that I'm not anti-discs and am an MTB convert to road riding myself.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    It's a well known fact that you need a new bike every two years. That's what I keep telling my other half anyway... :D

Incidentally Chasey, are we going to be seeing you in some David Millar ChptIII kit?
  • ddraver
    Yes, as discussed.

Yes, Dave, I read your argument that discs in the pro peloton will speed up R&D. But that is surely a benefit for industry profits and consumers who will have an improved product. My question, though, is will it benefit the sport?

I might add that I'm not anti-discs and am an MTB convert to road riding myself.

Improved products are improved for us too arent they?
    - @ddraver
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Yes, as discussed.

Yes, Dave, I read your argument that discs in the pro peloton will speed up R&D. But that is surely a benefit for industry profits and consumers who will have an improved product. My question, though, is will it benefit the sport?

Personally, I don't think it will benefit the sport in the same way as Di2 hasn't benefited the sport.

It's a rare example of "trickle up" rather than trickle down technology. The companies trying to sell disc brakes on road bikes need the pro's to use them more than the pro's actually need disc brakes.
  • mercia_man
    Yes, as discussed.

Improved products are improved for us too arent they?

Yes I quite agree that improved products help us as consumers. My top two are indexed gears and clipless pedals.

My question is whether the sport - ie pro racing - will be any better through the forced use of disc brakes. Have to say I'm sceptical because I suspect it will level the playing field between great and poor descenders.
  • ddraver
    are you asking if the TdF2016 will be more exciting if riders have disc brakes?
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

Yes I quite agree that improved products help us as consumers. My top two are indexed gears and clipless pedals.

Just so that you all know I am a true Luddite, I still use toe clips.

I have no interest in copying the pros. My only interest is in the trade-off between the effort riding the bike and the effort maintaining the bike.
  • mercia_man
    Yes, as discussed.

Personally, I don't think it will benefit the sport in the same way as Di2 hasn't benefited the sport.

It's a rare example of "trickle up" rather than trickle down technology. The companies trying to sell disc brakes on road bikes need the pro's to use them more than the pro's actually need disc brakes.

I'm sure you are right, Ber Nard. All the pressure for a change in the rules is coming from companies trying to sell disc brakes on road bikes.

I've tried Di2 and don't consider it to be such a groundbreaking improvement as indexed gears or clipless pedals. But the vast majority of pro riders clearly love their electronic gears. Maybe they'll all come to love disc brakes once they've used them for a while and overcome their current indifference.
  • mercia_man
    are you asking if the TdF2016 will be more exciting if riders have disc brakes?

Exactly. I'd be interested to hear your views.
  • ddraver
    No

To throw one back at you - is there a single technical advance...since the invention of derailleurs maybe...that has had an effect on the racing?

Greg Lemond and Tri bars perhaps...

I don't really see why this is relevant to be honest
    - @ddraver
  • mercia_man
    Good point on Lemond's tri bars and his focus on aero stuff. That definitely gave him the edge over Fignon. But I can't think of any other technical advances that have had a big effect.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Have to say I'm sceptical because I suspect it will level the playing field between great and poor descenders.
    Perhaps we could enhance the difference by making leather brake blocks compulsory ;-)
  • ddraver
    I'm also struggling to see how having better brakes will make someone a better descender.

Cancellara & Sagan are so good because their bike handling skills are exceptional, Pinot's is bad because his are relatively poor (see David Millar's analysis of his off on whatever stage in the tour). Their brakes have nothing to do with it
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    No

To throw one back at you - is there a single technical advance...since the invention of derailleurs maybe...that has had an effect on the racing?

Greg Lemond and Tri bars perhaps...

I don't really see why this is relevant to be honest

Well, lots of things have affected the speed of the riders, but they have quickly been adopted by everyone e.g. lightweight bikes, fancy bottom brackets, skin suits, aero helmets etc.
  • mercia_man
    Poor descenders often come off because they approach a downhill corner too quickly, panic, brake too hard, lock up their wheels and lose control.

The main claimed advantage of disc brakes is better modulation. Surely this will help the poorer descender to avoid locking up his wheels?