Are sky clean or not?

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Not gonna read the whole thread, I'll repeat what I said in another thread:

Team Sky are really just an extension of Team GB, same guys running it, same sort of training etc.

I generally think we are seeing an increase in the speed of technological advancements and innovation in cycling because of Team Sky, an extension of Team GB, who are known to use tech to extract the best out of their athletes. Its no surprise Froome is as good as he is, Hoy, Wiggins, Pendleton, Armistead and many more have dominated their field and basically came out of the same factory.

If Sky is filled with dopers and run by Brailsford are we casting doubt over Wiggins, Hoy, Pendleton, Armistead etc and the whole golden era of British cycing?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Orla Chennoaui tweeted yesterday, made a good point.

The people who believe Sky are doping must want them to leave the sport to make sure it's fair and proper.

And the way they go about ensuring this fairness is maintained is by parking at the roadside, urinating in a cup and throwing it at the man in the Yellow Jersey.

Pas normal, non?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    It must be so hard so hard for FF to understand Macaloon's posts when he's missing segments of the conversation by blocking everyone. Lord knows it's hard enough anyway :D

Operating under Carmunock rules is no walk in the park for any of us.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Doping at an amateur level a problem.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/09/doping-cycling-uci-commission-epo-worldtour

Awful this, examples needs to be made, if caught ban's should be for life.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,707
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    You are not on my block list, neither is rich (and he never has been).
    For all his nonsense at times, I know that Frenchie loves cycling and has odd, intransient opinions. He's hilarious if you don't take him seriously.

Be that as it may, just blocking anyone and everyone who contends said nonsense is pretty juvenile.
    Seriously, Rick, the moderator of this forum knows Frenchie in real life and knows that he's not entirely serious. So stop taking the bait. Fishes have more awareness. If your going to take the bait be amusing about it.

Why does someone who’s apparently religious, utterly obsessive, and anti-equality in their opinions about life and cycling choose every day to sprinkle pro race with inflammatory remarks barely masquerading as opinion? Sadly, there’s never and never has been any display of humour or self-doubt to go with it. He seems to judge people on here or cyclists, teams and performances as if his own level of respect for them is some kind of moral yard stick that others would find correct if they were informed and passionate. He’s the only one who really does this.

You’re right though, it’s up to people to laugh him off for what he is, as it is actually funny even if he isn't!
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    And do you get a free pass if you happen to know a moderator in real life??
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    And do you get a free pass if you happen to know a moderator in real life??
    I don't see anyone getting a free pass to be honest. This place is largely sane and the few proper crackpots that turn up get dealt with. Take Frenchie for what he is and it's one of the better forums I frequent.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Is it time Froomey took a leaf out of Wiggo's anti-doping allegations book?

"I say they're just f**king w**kers. I cannot be doing with people like that.

It justifies their own bone-idleness because they can't ever imagine applying themselves to do anything in their lives.

It's easy for them to sit under a pseudonym on Twitter and write that sort of sh*t, rather than get off their *rses in their own lives and apply themselves and work hard at something and achieve something. And that's ultimately it. C**ts."

I seem to recall the questions dropped off a bit after that. Dropping the c-bomb on live TV or radio will put off some of the Journos.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Anquetil, Bernard Hinault and Miguel Indurain all received similar criticism. It will be scant comfort to Sky as they put on their tin hats for the final week, but they are just the latest in a long line of targets.
    Cheers.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Doping at an amateur level a problem.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/09/doping-cycling-uci-commission-epo-worldtour

Awful this, examples needs to be made, if caught ban's should be for life.
    The funny bit about that is this passage:

It cited the case of “a team below the UCI WorldTour recently involved in doping. It was claimed that the team manager and sports director brought a nutritionist into the team who advised a selected group of riders within the team on a doping programme. The instructions were to administer EPO Zeta every second day after 11pm at night, and alternate in the winter with HGH and Lutrelef, a hormone. Their haematocrit levels were to be tested every third day, and amounts of EPO Zeta reduced [by half] as the season approached.”

The DS is Gianni Savio (he's tried to explain that the nutritionist acted without his knowledge). Gavazzi also said that Savio supplied him with cocaine. CONI tried to ban him for four years (somehow he got off). His team have had a steady stream of positives over the years.

Now, here's the punchline....

Gianni Savio is one of the management committee of the MPCC.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    Theres been not one piece of evidence (including a positive) to suggest sky are not clean. For me, the reason Froome, Wiggins have been winning tours is more likely because Contador and the likes are now not on it. I could even wonder how Nibali was so dominant last year, but terrible this, but realise the competition wasn't there in 2014 tour.

Quintana is the closest to Froome, but while I know he is still young, his only victory so far was beating Uran in a Giro where he raced through a red flag. Could it really be expected he would beat Froome?

I don't really see what more sky can do to prove they are clean, they are certainly doing more than Saxo, Astana and Movistar.

Reckon that's bang on. In addition:
    Should we now be calling into question Movistar's performances given they have two riders so well placed on GC?

I just think Sky do most things that little more focussed than a number of other teams. They have the budget to hire the best riders, although that budget is tiny by comparison to PL footie teams, Rugby teams, Motorsport etc. whether one likes their style is a efferent matter but they focus on the win. I wish at times they were a little less plan A all the time but that's just me wanting a bit more of a show from my armchair.

Cycling is not perfect but I think it's in the best place it's been in the 25 years or so I've been watching/involved.

I'd also like Froome to give it to the next journey. That asked him about doping, in a similar manner to Wiggins, as someone else posted. He would appear to be too nice a fella for that though
  • gweeds
    Theres been not one piece of evidence (including a positive) to suggest sky are not clean. For me, the reason Froome, Wiggins have been winning tours is more likely because Contador and the likes are now not on it. I could even wonder how Nibali was so dominant last year, but terrible this, but realise the competition wasn't there in 2014 tour.

Quintana is the closest to Froome, but while I know he is still young, his only victory so far was beating Uran in a Giro where he raced through a red flag. Could it really be expected he would beat Froome?

I don't really see what more sky can do to prove they are clean, they are certainly doing more than Saxo, Astana and Movistar.

Should we now be calling into question Movistar's performances given they have two riders so well placed on GC?

I just think Sky do most things that little more focussed than a number of other teams. They have the budget to hire the best riders, although that budget is tiny by comparison to PL footie teams, Rugby teams, Motorsport etc. whether one likes their style is a efferent matter but they focus on the win. I wish at times they were a little less plan A all the time but that's just me wanting a bit more of a show from my armchair.

Cycling is not perfect but I think it's in the best place it's been in the 25 years or so I've been watching/involved.

I'd also like Froome to give it to the next journey. That asked him about doping, in a similar manner to Wiggins, as someone else posted. He would appear to be too nice a fella for that though

Brings me back to my earlier point about why aren't fingers being pointed at some shocking drop-offs in performance now the spectre of night-time testing looms large.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552

Brings me back to my earlier point about why aren't fingers being pointed at some shocking drop-offs in performance now the spectre of night-time testing looms large.

Because Sky's methods, as a Johnny-come-lately, are changing cycling and the French teams don't have the budget to compete. And Sky's methods work.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    And fans and other teams openly laughed at Sky when they first came on the scene. They mocked marginal gains, they scoffed at the very notion of a British Tour winner within 5 years.

People don't like to be wrong, so they decide there must be more to it. Marginal gains must be a euphemism for doping, those British winners can't be clean, there's just no way I could have been so incredibly wrong. Look! 6.09 w/kg! Just like Pantani! I knew I was right.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    If Sky is filled with dopers and run by Brailsford are we casting doubt over Wiggins, Hoy, Pendleton, Armistead etc and the whole golden era of British cycing?
    That is exactly what some people are doing.
  • You are not on my block list, neither is rich (and he never has been).
    For all his nonsense at times, I know that Frenchie loves cycling and has odd, intransient opinions. He's hilarious if you don't take him seriously.

Be that as it may, just blocking anyone and everyone who contends said nonsense is pretty juvenile.
    Seriously, Rick, the moderator of this forum knows Frenchie in real life and knows that he's not entirely serious. So stop taking the bait. Fishes have more awareness. If your going to take the bait be amusing about it.

Why does someone who’s apparently religious, utterly obsessive, and anti-equality...

I think listing the word "religious" as a derogatory term is rather "anti-equality" don't you?
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • joelsim
    You are not on my block list, neither is rich (and he never has been).

Why does someone who’s apparently religious, utterly obsessive, and anti-equality...

I think listing the word "religious" as a derogatory term is rather "anti-equality" don't you?

Not really. Colour, sexuality, sex etc are born, being religious is just plain stupidity and can be addressed by a little rational thinking in the same way that being a scientologist or a member of the Ku Klux Klan can be.
  • Macaloon
    edited July 2015
    All we need is transparency excretes Kimmage, quoting physiologist Veyer [sick]: "on Ventoux Froome was the same as Armstrong and Pantani". If only Dave had listened to Paul.

Candidate for most disingenuous position of all time.
  • Macaloon
    Not really. Colour, sexuality, sex etc are born, being religious is just plain stupidity and can be addressed by a little rational thinking in the same way that being a scientologist or a member of the Ku Klux Klan can be.

That's daft. You have no idea what anyone else believes whether they are religious or not. Some of the most interesting and intelligent people around are devout. It's fascinating.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    All we need is transparency excretes Kimmage, quoting physiologist Veyer [sick]: "on Ventoux Froome was the same as Armstrong and Pantani". If only Dave had listened to Paul.

Candidate for most disingenuous position of all time.
    And that's where the debate is.

Media: Sky must be transparent and release data
    Sky: But you aren't qualified to understand it
    Media: We'll get an expert to explain it for us
    Sky: Which expert? The most qualified?
    Media: No, the one that is most likely to say that you're doping
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

That's daft. You have no idea what anyone else believes whether they are religious or not. Some of the most interesting and intelligent people around are devout. It's fascinating.

Yes it is very daft and wholly inappropriate but then this is gutter scraper joel we are talking about. I pity his kids if his views are the same values he imparts at home.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Not really. Colour, sexuality, sex etc are born, being religious is just plain stupidity and can be addressed by a little rational thinking in the same way that being a scientologist or a member of the Ku Klux Klan can be.

Yes it is very daft and wholly inappropriate but then this is gutter scraper joel we are talking about. I pity his kids if his views are the same values he imparts at home.

Ironic coming from me I know, but don't go down that road FF; you're better than that.
  • gweeds
    I pity his kids if his views are the same values he imparts at home.

Classy.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Classy.

We should all be teaching our kids to respect other people. It is perfectly possible to respect a person but think their belief systems are complete nonsense.

That's how I try to roll on BikeRadar too.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • gweeds

Classy.

We should all be teaching our kids to respect other people. It is perfectly possible to respect a person but think their belief systems are complete nonsense.

That's how I try to roll on BikeRadar too.

And how do you or any of us know how he's raising his kids? It's a cheap shot at best.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    to paraphrase Ron Burgundy, lets leave the kids out of this.

Joelsim jr is a saint! A SAINT!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Macaloon
    My kids are probably on the PEDs. They all are. When did they stop?
  • joelsim

I have two kids FF and they have both turned out to be very very nice kids, I never get a moment's trouble with either of them. The eldest is 17 and is polite, honest, caring, thoughtful yet loves being with the lads and playing football. The youngest is 8, plays piano, is a little shy, but is polite and lovely.

I guess this is where you and I differ on morals and values. I have very good morals and promote kindness to all people, even religious ones. Having said that, to me, there is nothing more ridiculous in the world than religion. Brainwashing and irrational. Hey, but that's what I think.

I had to go to Church recently for a friend's child's christening, never heard so much utter drivel in my life as that spouted by the vicar/father/priest or whatever he is called. It's very sad that people believe this junk, but each to his own. One thing is very clear though, it has absolutely nothing to do with morals or values.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    One thing is very clear though, it has absolutely nothing to do with morals or values.

Completely true.