TdF 2015 Stage 10 Tarbes to Pierre-Saint-Martin **SPOILERS**

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Belgian Eurosport rocking some ladies pole vaulting instead of the highlights. Same everywhere
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    @DavidWalshST 1h1 hour ago
    One question to organisers of TdF: if it's suspense you wanted why put hardest single climb of Tour into first mountain stage?
    They also keep putting Sky friendly 'hockey stick' stages as the first mountain stage. Froome has won three of the last four. A multi col stage ending on a descent might be a better start.

Aye. you'd think they'd have learned their lesson after 2012.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Also, really really bad day for the TJVG.

i was hoping for better too
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Top 6 threads in the asylum are related to you know who. It's been the most entertaining 24 hours I can remember. Hilarious.

What forum is that? I have always wanted to go and visit but not sure which site it's on.

Cyclingnews

Don't bother trying to debate with any of them, just sit back and watch. Anyone who talks sense is obviously trolling

Ftfy ;)
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

Strange, he said it was good (!)
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    I had my first look at The Clinic just now. Reading the titles on some of those threads was enough to ensure I got the fook out of there sharpish. :D Despising doping is one thing, but they have lost the plot altogether.

DD.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Fuglsang new leader of Astana
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    “Froome is superior, and he made a strong punch today,” Contador said when he rolled to a stop high, at 1,610 metres, in the Pyrenean mountains.

“I am going to go day by day, and see what we can do. To see if we can fight for the GC, or make other goals.”

Honesty from Bertie
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Mikkel Condé v2.0 ‏@mrconde
    Bit surprised to see Team Sky (apparently) chasing the Team GC. Porte and Thomas should take it easy, big days ahead! #TDF2015

Froome should throttle-back and save it for the double. Really rub it in.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

Strange, he said it was good (!)

looking at a podium I guess...which is his aim
    he better watch it thou especially on the alpe d'huez all in stage he could haemorrhage time
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Don't bother trying to debate with any of them, just sit back and watch. Anyone who talks sense is ignored anyway.

Probably wise to bear in mind the oft-quoted advice never to debate with idiots - they drag you down to their level and then attempt to beat you with their greater experience.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    That was good fun. The forum will be unbearable the next 2 weeks, won't it? When's Eneco? :wink:

Impressive display by Froome, and with 3 riders in the top 10, brilliant for British cycling. The French, Belgians or Dutch would kill for those placings.

Awesome to see Gesink back properly after a long time if trouble. Really positively surprised,finishing well after a brave attack.

Adam Yates very impressive too. Looking forward to more like that.

G, please keep riding the classics

Valverde with the first attacks of the fvourites. Decent ride. There's still opportunity for a Movistar assault

TJVG as expected based on the last few years

Unfortunately we'll never know how good Contador would have been had he not done the Giro.

Nibali, but last year's French as well, not sure what that's all about. Seems hard nowadays to replicate a successful TdF year
  • Aside from the obvious fireworks, some nice wee cameos in there today from Valverde and Gallopin. Enjoyed that.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters 2h2 hours ago
    These are always the tough moments in cycling. You have to swallow your pride and come up with a differnt way forward. Onward.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Fuglsang new leader of Astana

Well, I'm sure that tricky HR issue would have been handled with the utmost tact and sensitivity
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Wonder whether the second mountain stage will be like 2 years ago as much as today
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    What can you say other than wow. Didn't expect Froome to go from so far or for Bertie and Nibali to capitulate so 'easily'. Yates a future contender if he can improve his time trialling and looks like I'm going to have to re-evaluate Geraint as a GT contender going forward. I haven't seen domination like that for a few years so I can understand why the other place will be going into meltdown, not that they need an excuse. Slightly disappointed by Konig and Poels today though.

Anyone think Froome is insuring himself against having to follow a kamakazi downhill attack tomorrow?
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    The other "bad" news for the TJVG was his future teammate/rival Richie Porte once again looking like one of the better climbers in the world.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Both Nibali and Contador seem to be complaining they couldn't breathe properly, whatever that may mean...
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Both Nibali and Contador seem to be complaining they couldn't breathe properly, whatever that may mean...

Frome was going really fast and they were fubared trying to keep up.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Interesting stage.

Many of the clues we've seen over the last week were right. Contador and Nibali not really having it for example.

I think Quintana is a fine bike rider but I've been fairly baffled why people thought he'd just whip time back with ease. He couldn't get rid of Contador in the Route Du Sud, his Giro win was a stonking 2.30 over Uran etc etc.

If I was Froome, I'd try get another minute on Thursday and then just close the race down in the Alps.

Nice to see Gesink going well.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Rrally impressed with Yates today.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Gave up reading after page 15. What a lot of bile and BS from some people on this forum. Luckily some interesting and thoughtful posts from others.
    I want Froome to win but I hope he hasn't killed off the fight from those behind him. Quintana, Contador and TJ look like the were fighting, not so with Nibles who just looked crushed.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Cycling's David Icke sums it up: 90% certainty that Froome is doping. Fabulous.

https://twitter.com/Scienceofsport/with_replies
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Cycling's David Icke sums it up: 90% certainty that Froome is doping. Fabulous.

https://twitter.com/Scienceofsport/with_replies

"Because it's not just his numbers, it's the last 4 years, the characters involved, the "deviousness""

RIP sports science.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    I think Quintana is a fine bike rider but I've been fairly baffled why people thought he'd just whip time back with ease. He couldn't get rid of Contador in the Route Du Sud, his Giro win was a stonking 2.30 over Uran etc etc.
    Exactly. I've seen him described in glowing terms in various places today, phrases like "the best climber in the race" or even "the best climber of this generation"! I don't understand what that's based on other than him being Colombian... he's absolutely a great climber but I don't think he's another level above anyone else.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Interesting stage.

Many of the clues we've seen over the last week were right. Contador and Nibali not really having it for example.

If I was Froome, I'd try get another minute on Thursday and then just close the race down in the Alps.

Nice to see Gesink going well.
    Froome should do what Armstrong used to do after he took control - ride defensively, follow wheels of other teams and attack in the last 1-2 km if he feels like it.

For all his faults, Armstrong was a master at putting a Tour together.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It was a slightly different play for Froome today. Letting Movistar wind it up.

When I was watching it and the time gap to Gesink was steady I didn't think Movistar were going full gas, despite people popping off the back.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Froome's average speed up that mountain was faster than the times set by:

Hamilton, 2003 Millar, Virenque, Riis, Ullrich, Rominger, Indurain, Piepoli, Salvodelli, Chiappucci, Boogerd

Illustrious list.

They were making a big point on the commentary that it was predominantly a tailwind on the climb.