TdF 2015 Stage 10 Tarbes to Pierre-Saint-Martin **SPOILERS**

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I'm probably blocked by those that always know the truth and look down on those with different views and experiences; which is a shame because Id like to come back in the future and receive an apology when the truth is out.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    In terms of Sky doing well as a collective today, i.e. Froome, Porte and Thomas all top 10 (on a stage that suits them down to the ground). Did we see equal amounts of 'shock' when Astana were doing this in the Giro...?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    The good news for the spectacle, if not the GC, is that many of the world's best climbers don't have much to do for the next 9 stages other than try to win them. Movistar could benefit from all their friends in the peloton conspiring to create chaos.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Awesome performance from Froome today, and to be fair he has been combative in most stages rather than hiding away in the peloton.

G has really shown how capable he is - not beyond the realms of possibility for him giving a GC attack a go in a year or two.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Cycling's David Icke sums it up: 90% certainty that Froome is doping. Fabulous.

https://twitter.com/Scienceofsport/with_replies

Guess who was his pick to win the Tour ?

http://sportsscientists.com/2015/07/who-wins-the-2015-tour-de-france/

He would be better off opening a stall in Johannesburg selling tin foil hats...
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    In terms of Sky doing well as a collective today, i.e. Froome, Porte and Thomas all top 10 (on a stage that suits them down to the ground). Did we see equal amounts of 'shock' when Astana were doing this in the Giro...?

Yes

Porte has been soft pedalling for 10 days before today. Indeed someone has been harping on about how far back he's been, how poor a teammate etc

Thomas will get found out in the mountains over the coming days - he's not a GC rider
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Who was it who started that thread wagering Sky wouldn't win another grand tour with Brailsford at the helm?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    It was a slightly different play for Froome today. Letting Movistar wind it up.

When I was watching it and the time gap to Gesink was steady I didn't think Movistar were going full gas, despite people popping off the back.

This is what I'm finding difficult to understand. Half of the Bikeradar collective are saying that this was a perfect mountain stage for Sky. Yet Movistar gave them an armchair ride until half way up the climb. They didn't even need to use up many riders on the front to pull the break pair away - Movistar pretty much did it from the point the pair had a 15 min lead. Whilst Movistar also did well having Quintana and Valverde finishing high up, could they have done more had they not worked so hard? It was certainly playing in to Sky's hands.

Nice riding by Froome. But given the riders in between him and Contador and Nibali, it was probably more a case of their poor riding.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Awesome performance from Froome today, and to be fair he has been combative in most stages rather than hiding away in the peloton.

G has really shown how capable he is - not beyond the realms of possibility for him giving a GC attack a go in a year or two.

By the sounds of it he'll ride for GC this race as far as possible. Top 10 is certainly plausible if he doesn't have to do too much work.
  • disgruntledgoat
    I'm probably blocked by those that always know the truth and look down on those with different views and experiences; which is a shame because Id like to come back in the future and receive an apology when the truth is out.

So under what circumstances do those who disagree with you get their apology?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Yes

Porte has been soft pedalling for 10 days before today. Indeed someone has been harping on about how far back he's been, how poor a teammate etc

Thomas will get found out in the mountains over the coming days - he's not a GC rider

No he hasn't. He's been working on the front consistently at crucial points during the northern France stages. Look at the work he put in on stage 4 for example.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Great to see G hunting down Valverde

Are there any conditions Thomas can't ride in at the moment?

Sea State 6.
  • Vino'sGhost

well its impossible to prove i was wrong until either time itself ends or I suddenly find that 20 years of cynicism are washed away with a tsunami sized wave of suspension of disbelief and coupled with a desperate need to believe.

Should either of these things happen and i have an epiphany I shall make this my first port of call
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Who was it who started that thread wagering Sky wouldn't win another grand tour with Brailsford at the helm?

I'm claiming that one :D
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448

See the thing is, you and those like you post your own opinions as the truth.

As DB said today, 'it's hard to prove a negative' - which means you can't be proven wrong and you know it, hence why all the loony tunes sit in the clinic for hours every day claiming everything they're saying is true. One of them said he would never accept Froome is clean even if he never tests positive and retrospective testing never shows anything.

How do you argue with someone like that? You don't, that's probably why people don't waste their time.

How about you come back and apologise when Froome doesn't test positive in his career? If he does I'd admit I was wrong, but the thing is I doubt you ever will.
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375

well its impossible to prove i was wrong until either time itself ends or I suddenly find that 20 years of cynicism are washed away with a tsunami sized wave of suspension of disbelief and coupled with a desperate need to believe.

Should either of these things happen and i have an epiphany I shall make this my first port of call

The moral low ground? Nice one!

Do you believe Merckx + Hinault won due to doping? If not, why not?
  • All of this doping talk is making me a sad Panda. I just want to believe :(
  • Vino'sGhost

As DB said today, 'it's hard to prove a negative' - which means you can't be proven wrong and you know it, hence why all the loony tunes sit in the clinic for hours every day claiming everything they're saying is true. One of them said he would never accept Froome is clean even if he never tests positive and retrospective testing never shows anything.

How do you argue with someone like that? You don't, that's probably why people don't waste their time.

How about you come back and apologise when Froome doesn't test positive in his career? If he does I'd admit I was wrong, but the thing is I doubt you ever will.

Muppet i didn't state an opinion it was a comment on the screaming believers who can't countenance different possibilities. Ive seen it before with Armstrong and i won't be surprised if history repeats itself. I put you in the screaming muppet tub
  • Vino'sGhost

The moral low ground? Nice one!

Do you believe Merckx + Hinault won due to doping? If not, why not?

Err he was doping with "paniagua"
  • disgruntledgoat

Muppet i didn't state an opinion it was a comment on the screaming believers who can't countenance different possibilities. Ive seen it before with Armstrong and i won't be surprised if history repeats itself. I put you in the screaming muppet tub

Is there any need for name calling?

@gietvangent
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    Uhh... Your comment about coming back "when the truth is out" is definitely opinion. I.e., in your opinion he is doping. No need to be rude.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Slightly disappointed by Konig and Poels today though.

Really? I think Poels did a great job for Froome in the Dauphine and he put in a solid turn for him today.
    Exactly. I've seen him described in glowing terms in various places today, phrases like "the best climber in the race" or even "the best climber of this generation"! I don't understand what that's based on other than him being Colombian... he's absolutely a great climber but I don't think he's another level above anyone else.

Well, because in 2013 he beat Froome by around a minute if you don’t count the climbs where he was riding as a domestique for Valverde. That was in his first Tour. Last year he won the Giro before crashing in the Vuelta and this year he beat Contador by around a minute in the queen stage of Tirreno before concentrating on the Tour. I personally rate him very highly as a pure climber and he’s only going to get better.

I’ve never heard him called the best climber of this generation though. That’s clearly hyperbole.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's funny all the shock about Froome winning an putting a minute into a rival, when he is one of the best climbers in the world, multiple GT podiums, 1 Gt win, and countless stage race wins, but the same people are congratulating Yates on a good stage, when he is a no-body, who's never out climbed the likes of bert or Nibali beore.

Good to see Contador had his excuse ready, I think he'll quit in the next 2 stages.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991

No he hasn't. He's been working on the front consistently at crucial points during the northern France stages. Look at the work he put in on stage 4 for example.

Ok fair enough, but even after today he's 45 mins down on GC (behind Greipel). My point being that he's been able to save his legs to some degree to be on top form in the mountains. Hardly surprising then that one of the best climbers in the world with that lead in would come second today.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788

Ok, they're all doping. Will you just stop now? Seriously, why do you even watch cycling?
  • Vino'sGhost

Ok, they're all doping. Will you just stop now? Seriously, why do you even watch cycling?

I like those podium birds
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    It's funny all the shock about Froome winning an putting a minute into a rival, when he is one of the best climbers in the world, multiple GT podiums, 1 Gt win, and countless stage race wins, but the same people are congratulating Yates on a good stage, when he is a no-body, who's never out climbed the likes of bert or Nibali beore.

Good to see Contador had his excuse ready, I think he'll quit in the next 2 stages.

that was kind of my point, great ride by Yates but for Froome to only put two minutes into him as a "nobody" isn't at all surprising.

Be interesting to see how the next two days pan out, you never know Froome may pay for todays effort tomorrow and lose time
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448

Very adult of you, and yes you did state an opinion. Anyone who believes Froome (or any rider) is clean is quite aware of the other possibilities and would no doubt accept it should that happen.

It seems to be you that can't accept the possibility (I'd say probability) that he is clean.
  • Vino'sGhost

Very adult of you, and yes you did state an opinion. Anyone who believes Froome (or any rider) is clean is quite aware of the other possibilities and would no doubt accept it should that happen.

It seems to be you that can't accept the possibility (I'd say probability) that he is clean.
    yes dear
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Slightly disappointed by Konig and Poels today though.

Really? I think Poels did a great job for Froome in the Dauphine and he put in a solid turn for him today.
    Exactly. I've seen him described in glowing terms in various places today, phrases like "the best climber in the race" or even "the best climber of this generation"! I don't understand what that's based on other than him being Colombian... he's absolutely a great climber but I don't think he's another level above anyone else.

Well, because in 2013 he beat Froome by around a minute if you don’t count the climbs where he was riding as a domestique for Valverde. That was in his first Tour. Last year he won the Giro before crashing in the Vuelta and this year he beat Contador by around a minute in the queen stage of Tirreno before concentrating on the Tour. I personally rate him very highly as a pure climber and he’s only going to get better.

I’ve never heard him called the best climber of this generation though. That’s clearly hyperbole.

Froome seriously shaded in that 3rd week in 2013 having put so much on the road earlier on, while Quintana was Valverde's #2. Even Purito was putting it to Froome iirc by then. Froome left him for dead on Ventoux.

At the Giro, Quintana won the GC on the neutralised descent of the Stelvio and did not show himself to be way beyond the mullet that apart.

His tumble in the 2014 Vuelta was unfortunate but I think he's still got to prove what his level is. This Tour will go a long way to do so.