TdF 2015 Stage 10 Tarbes to Pierre-Saint-Martin **SPOILERS**

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    With regard to Twitter and other social media, while it was full of people saying that Froome was definitely doping, it was also full of people saying that Harper Lee hadn't really understood 'To Kill a Mockingbird'.

Can't remember the specifics of what I overheard on the news yesterday... but it was a TV producer/exec who said that they are increasingly ignoring feedback from Twitter as it's like a pub conversation where everyone wants to be heard to be the cleverest/funniest.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,163
    With regard to Twitter and other social media, while it was full of people saying that Froome was definitely doping, it was also full of people saying that Harper Lee hadn't really understood 'To Kill a Mockingbird'.

Can't remember the specifics of what I overheard on the news yesterday... but it was a TV producer/exec who said that they are increasingly ignoring feedback from Twitter as it's like a pub conversation where everyone wants to be heard to be the cleverest/funniest.
    Charlie Brooker had it right when he did a programme about the 25 greatest video games of all time. The last chronologically was Twitter, where the aim of the game is to accumulate follows, retweets and favourites, no different or meaningful than collecting coins in Sonic the Hedgehog.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • With regard to Twitter and other social media, while it was full of people saying that Froome was definitely doping, it was also full of people saying that Harper Lee hadn't really understood 'To Kill a Mockingbird'.

Charlie Brooker had it right when he did a programme about the 25 greatest video games of all time. The last chronologically was Twitter, where the aim of the game is to accumulate follows, retweets and favourites, no different or meaningful than collecting coins in Sonic the Hedgehog.

As arbitrary as eating a bunch of caramels.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Both Nibali and Contador seem to be complaining they couldn't breathe properly, whatever that may mean...

There are some bad allergies caused by the unusual climate this year; certain plants a flourishing with nasty pollen. The missus is laid up at the mo with breathing problems and is on cortisone, so it is possible that Nibs and Bert are having problems.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    A few people on twitter may be arguing Froome is suspect but I'm not convinced they are really setting the agenda amongst cycling fans in general to the extent they seem to do so on here.

I dont know it seems less intensely tinfoil hat on here so far, than whats been on twitter since 5pm, Kirby has been fending off all kinds of odd people with wild theories and using parts of commentary to prove them, when most of us just think poor old Carlton just doesnt really read races that well, but I dont know why hes getting involved in debating them as there just lies madness ahead.

but its impossible to follow everyone/everything on twitter so it comes down to who you follow, but theres been lots of those things of comparing totally non alike situations, and in the classic 140character style everyone thinks theyve made the killer point in the debate and won the argument, or retweeting completely random stuff where you think are they trying to say something relevant to today, do they really believe or agree with what they just RT'd, or are they just highlighting how crazy some people are.

it was a good night to switch off the iphone for once and just watch the highlights instead :)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,163
    When it comes to the doping Twitterati, just remember this.

In their minds nowadays, Floyd Landis and Michael Rasmussen are heroes and David Walsh and Greg LeMond are villains.

That's how screwed up it has become. All that matters is their dogma.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Well, because in 2013 he beat Froome by around a minute if you don’t count the climbs where he was riding as a domestique for Valverde. That was in his first Tour.
    Hardly showing Quintana was a level above Froome. Certainly comparable to him, quite possibly better on his day, but not a class apart.

Well that's literally the point I was making.
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    That stage confirmed two things to me.

1. Froome is better than all the other GT contenders.
    2. Froome is the ugliest rider ever created.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    That stage confirmed two things to me.

1. Froome is better than all the other GT contenders.
    2. Froome is the ugliest rider ever created.

Santiago Botero would make you beg to watch Froome ride up a 15% gradient into a headwind.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • manic_esso
    manic_esso Posts: 92
    Sorry to bring context back into things.... Was it my imagination, or was that some beautiful fresh, clean smooth tarmac they rode up?

I had a similar thought at around the point Valverde first attacked - but then I ride up in Yorkshire, so everything's smooth in comparison...

You should try living in Surrey... they should rename the road network the Strade Nero

Anyway back to the racing; what I liked:

Good to see Gesink back in form. Is it me or does anyone else think half his problem is in his head ?
    Great ride by Gallopin and Yates
    Amazing finish by G - I couldn't believe the company he had at the end of the stage and despite what some people's opinion I do think the Sky riders get on well with the rest of the peloton
    Cav and Greipel having a laugh after the intermediate sprint

What I didn't like:
    The 2 idiots with US flags just before the barriered off section
    Nibs packing it in - I know he was having a bad day but so was Contador and at least he tried until he crossed the line
    Froome winning so easily; I like Froome and I know the stage was probably designed for him and there's a long way to go but I can't see people attacking him now - just defending the place they've got which is a pity for the race. Anyway we shall see
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited July 2015
    That's how screwed up it has become. All that matters is their dogma.

You're really motoring there, big man.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Cav and Greipel having a laugh after the intermediate sprint

I thought I'd mentioned this thought last night, but apparently not - did anyone else wonder if Cavendish putting in a little more effort on the intermediate sprint is part of an attempt to reduce Greipel's need to win the final stage outright? He looked a little more interested this time (or might simply have been bored and fancied some fun).
  • manic_esso
    CJdXI4rWsAAyjEM.jpg:large

Adam Hansen ‏@HansenAdam Jul 9
    This is the amount of tape I need to keep my collar bone in place. It reduces the pain a bit..... A bit..

I really hope he can soldier on to the end
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,817
    Cameras follow Gesink just after he crosses the line.

He looks properly spent.

http://nos.nl/tour/artikel/2047075-nos-camera-volgt-gesink-direct-na-de-finish.html
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,858
    The day in numbers from LeTour.
    Last man in under 15 minutes down, which kind of puts the abject failure of some GC candidtaes into perspective:
    https://youtu.be/ryKXUDUdiJI
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,397
    Nice point BS

Some thoughts now everyone has calmed down a bit. I think many of us, and a few of the riders were taken in the the whole big 4 or 5 claims. If you look at it more cynically you have a guy that's knackered from the Giro but has been hiding it rather well, Nibbles who when he has shown himself this year has actually not looked that great and Quintana who has looked better...but also not great. Therefore a guy who, when he has raced, has looked strong, putting a minute into the others isnt such a big deal. As many others have said he didnt exactly spank that noted climber TJVG or Robert Gesink either (no disrespect intended).

I think Movistar got the tactics wrong a bit today. They should have let the Sky Train burn a few people off before starting the Valverde Silly bu**ers to directly attack Froome, or Froome & Porte. As it turned out they tried to out-sky sky, who were happy to let them initially until Froome realised he was on a cracking day. That was never really going to work.

Movistar also seemed to have allowed Quintana to lose time with impunity all week in the expectation that they ll make it back up in the mountains. Well as we see, one day at less than 100% in the mountains means that you re suddenly minutes behind. Sky can now sit on the front and kill the GC race and ignore the other people going to stage victories. If Froome and Qunitana had started the climb closer on time Sky wouldnt have been so care free. I suspect that the Movistar team next year will be much tighter in terms of easy time losses in the first week
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Fair enough from Fedrigo...I had even thought it was strange yesterday that he didn't get it.

"I did not expect to get thefighting prize," he said. "It was not my goal and I attacked to win the stage, not to get the red dossard. But I have trouble understanding why I didn't get it. This morning, at the start, the journalists prompted the French riders to attack. It is a jury of journalists that awarded the prize and they gave it to Vanbilsen. I waited for him and he spent less time than me in front. I have nothing against Vanbilsen nor against the Belgians. It's just a lack of respect for me and for the public here and in front of the television on this special day."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    From everything I can tell the heat played a major part to many of those riders. Kenya and Australia are no stranger to the extreme heat. Contador has many times in the past nor performed in the past due to breathing issues on super hot days, similar to a lot of the other contenders.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • professeur
    professeur Posts: 232
    Last man in under 15 minutes down, which kind of puts the abject failure of some GC candidtaes into perspective:

29 minutes according to PCS (or am I comparing something different here?):

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Tour_de_France_2015_Stage_10_La_Pierre_Saint_Martin

Still not seen the highlights yet - I presume Porte pushed on for 2nd place just because he could and he felt good? (Given that he's nowhere on GC)
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Tour_de_France_2015_Stage_10_La_Pierre_Saint_Martin

Still not seen the highlights yet - I presume Porte pushed on for 2nd place just because he could and he felt good? (Given that he's nowhere on GC)

as a slap in the face for Quintana and to deny him 2 seconds bonus (It's 10 seconds, 6, 4)
  • professeur
    professeur Posts: 232
    Ha - fair enough. Probably didn't hurt his contract negotiations also, if they're still going on!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Fair enough from Fedrigo...I had even thought it was strange yesterday that he didn't get it.

"I did not expect to get thefighting prize," he said. "It was not my goal and I attacked to win the stage, not to get the red dossard. But I have trouble understanding why I didn't get it. This morning, at the start, the journalists prompted the French riders to attack. It is a jury of journalists that awarded the prize and they gave it to Vanbilsen. I waited for him and he spent less time than me in front. I have nothing against Vanbilsen nor against the Belgians. It's just a lack of respect for me and for the public here and in front of the television on this special day."
    I reckon Vanbilsen got it as compensation for the stage when he should have got it but they awarded it to Bling
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,858
    From everything I can tell the heat played a major part to many of those riders. Kenya and Australia are no stranger to the extreme heat. Contador has many times in the past nor performed in the past due to breathing issues on super hot days, similar to a lot of the other contenders.

If Contador or anyone else has has problems in 27C, then I'd suggest they will struggle far more in the 33C forecast, today.
    I thought his issues in GTs was allergies in May?
    He functioned pretty well in 2007, 2009 and 2010, which were all fairly hot.

Oh and never seems to have issues with heat in Spain, either.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • manic_esso

Sebastien Chavanel was last man @ 29:15
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Bertie struggles in the heat? He is from Spain, where its hot, really hot, for a lot of the year.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Sebastien Chavanel was last man @ 29:15
    Yep, I suppose that's why they're called Dimension Data rather than Dimension Intelligence. No point putting a load of data into a video if you don't bother to at least sense check the figures...
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786

That doesn't seem totally credible, but at least you've stopped banging the SKY are doping drum. You can probably enjoy the racing a bit more now :wink:
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    edited July 2015
    Ooops wrong thread.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    For me this was where Nibali showed his race was well and truly over: so distracted by the effort (and his relative lack of form) he kept on riding straight as the road turned a bend and he had to be prompted by his faster-riding domestiques.

Nibali-dazedampconfused_zpsc49svlnz.jpg~original
  • muttley_109
    muttley_109 Posts: 177

What? Seriously? Your scraping the barrel now!

Kenya and Australia are no stranger to extreme heat? By that logic G, coming from Wales should dominate any race where it's raining!!!
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
    Bird Zero TR