• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Some context...

CJ8o91ZWUAAyWNG.jpg
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Apparently Gesink, Ten Dam and Kruiswijk rode the whole Pierre-St-Martin climb at full speed on the rest day. Bit different from the standard 40 km pootle. Seemed to work
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Froome has spoken in the past of his heart rate not being able to exceed 170bpm, even when at peak power.

Wow. He genuinely is superhuman.
    A low HRmax does not make him superhuman - it is just natural variation. It most likely implies a large left ventricle, i.e. a heart that pumps a larger volume of blood per stroke. It can be indicative of a more efficient cardio system, but it can also be a limitation when making above threshold efforts. Range is significant: a low-resting and a high-max would suggest good versatility... but there is no perfect combination or magic equation, the overall efficiency of the system is most important. Interestingly it has been shown that HRmax can decrease as small VO2max increases are made through training.

I am also an outlier with a low HRmax of 168 (and resting in the low 30s). I am very efficient at threshold, but have a very thin red line (this is particularly noticeable in running races where I can very easily cook myself trying to run above a carefully managed target pace). I would be very interested to see more of Froome's data to understand the effect of these short stinging attacks at high cadence he is now known for.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,699
    Apparently Gesink, Ten Dam and Kruiswijk rode the whole Pierre-St-Martin climb at full speed on the rest day. Bit different from the standard 40 km pootle. Seemed to work

Guarantee that's born out of bad experiences with Boogard who was always rubbish day after rest days.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Porte punched

Not sure if its been mentioned already, Porte says he was "...struck in the ribs by a spectator with three kilometres to go on the 15km climb to the finish..." of stage 10. The crowds did look pretty crazy as they were getting close to the barriers but this is not good! All the more remarkable that he went on to reel in Nairo.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Porte punched

Not sure if its been mentioned already, Porte says he was "...struck in the ribs by a spectator with three kilometres to go on the 15km climb to the finish..." of stage 10. The crowds did look pretty crazy as they were getting close to the barriers but this is not good! All the more remarkable that he went on to reel in Nairo.

Not good. And he still managed to catch Quintana. Maybe he was running on adrenaline.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Even Porte thinks Froome looks ridiculous:

original.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter

https://www.strava.com/activities/345106885
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    DV2084409.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest