Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I agree it’s good that normality is being restored.

Begs the question, why did the Tories spend 7 years trashing normality.
  • Very sensible sounding comments from Labour

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63415681
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,839

Stevo_666 said:

Interesting but unsurprising poll showing that the public see Sunak as better than Starmer on the economy, taxes and business. (Although to be fair, being better than a Labour leader in those areas might be seen as a pretty low bar):
    https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/rishi-sunak-keir-starmer-beats-economy-taxes-business-poll-hope-tories-1938481

Normality is starting to be restored :)

If he just adopts all of Labour's positions on the economy, that's probably good, but is it what you really want?
    What makes you think he will do that? (Even we did know all of Labour's positions - they usually keep quiet about shafting people until as late as possible).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Typical Labour politics of envy. Hit the rich...

I hope not. Hopefully it is an article to generate a bit of attention? He should instead focus on raising taxes for those who keep saying that we should pay more - and give them what they want :)
    This feels a bit like crossing your fingers really tightly. I'll already be paying more from April so why should you get a let off?
    NI cut kicks in next week.

What's hitting you in April?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Interesting but unsurprising poll showing that the public see Sunak as better than Starmer on the economy, taxes and business. (Although to be fair, being better than a Labour leader in those areas might be seen as a pretty low bar):
    https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/rishi-sunak-keir-starmer-beats-economy-taxes-business-poll-hope-tories-1938481

If he just adopts all of Labour's positions on the economy, that's probably good, but is it what you really want?
    What makes you think he will do that? (Even we did know all of Labour's positions - they usually keep quiet about shafting people until as late as possible).
    Going with this still then.

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Going with this still then.

Just needs an update to New Old Labour - New Old Danger.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited October 2022
    Genuinely, what's more dangerous than what this current lot have put us through?

Tory track record on the economy since 1992 is really terrible.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,204
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I hope not. Hopefully it is an article to generate a bit of attention? He should instead focus on raising taxes for those who keep saying that we should pay more - and give them what they want :)
    This feels a bit like crossing your fingers really tightly. I'll already be paying more from April so why should you get a let off?

Corporation tax, specifically. And you'd have to be hopelessly optimistic to think there won't be more rises. In the background there's the frozen thresholds.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,291
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

This is just the Tory equivalent of when Labour say the Tories are going to privatise the NHS. A bit of a dog whistle with nothing to back it up.
  • Stevo_666

Genuinely, what's more dangerous than what this current lot have put us through?

As I've said before, better if we don't get to find out.

Which other party will manage it well?
  • Stevo_666
    edited October 2022
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Corporation tax, specifically. And you'd have to be hopelessly optimistic to think there won't be more rises. In the background there's the frozen thresholds.
    Ah OK, you operate through a limited company.

(People who say that the corporation tax rate isn't an issue for businesses please take note ;) )
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,634
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

An advantage of an LLP (along with employer's NI).
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538
    Stevo_666 said:

So that's a no to answering Ricks question then...
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

The practice is a limited company. I own part of it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

So that's a no to answering Ricks question then...
    It's more of a 'who knows without a crystal ball' reply. Although Rick will probably try to blame that on a lack of investment by the tories :)
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

There are pros and cons to both.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

(People who say that the corporation tax rate isn't an issue for businesses please take note ;) )
    hang on a minute, you were the person arguing that it was irrelevant whether it was 19 or 25%.
  • rjsterry
    edited October 2022

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

hang on a minute, you were the person arguing that it was irrelevant whether it was 19 or 25%.
    I think there might have been more to my point than that.

Just to be clear, this is not a moan about the rate being too high. Just an observation on the direction of travel. It means we will have less to play with when looking at pay reviews for our staff; invest in training and IT.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

There are pros and cons to both.
    There is indeed. Nothing like paying tax on money you haven't received.
  • rjsterry
    Late payers?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

Late payers?

That's usually ok. Disallowances e.g. corporate entertainment and also businesses need working capital and that money is taxed.
  • Stevo_666
    Interesting article on Labour's impact in Wales. Careful
    what you wish for...
    https://business-live.co.uk/opinion-analysis/labour-been-disaster-welsh-economy-25470185
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,895
    edited November 2022
    What were you expecting in an article written by a Welsh Tory opposition MP?
  • Stevo_666
    monkimark said:

What were you expecting in an article written by a Welsh Tory opposition MP?

Which parts of the article do you disagree with and why?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,291
    Stevo_666 said:

what you wish for...
    https://business-live.co.uk/opinion-analysis/labour-been-disaster-welsh-economy-25470185

As someone who actually lives there (and has never voted Labour in an Senedd election) I don’t see them doing anything worse than across the border.

As an example this is due to start soon https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/200m-global-centre-rail-excellence-24161623.amp

They are also looking at getting a publicly owned renewable energy developer set up that will partner with the private sector.

They’ve made some bad decisions too - supporting the pie in the sky Circuit of Wales and proposed studios / theme park in Bridgend (although there has been some film studio development there). Scrapping the planned M4 relief road around Newport is still likely to have a negative impact on investment in Wales.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538
    Struggle to take the 20mph point seriously tbh
  • rjsterry
    I think there are fair criticisms of health and education outcomes but whether that is anything to do with the colour of the rosette is anyone's guess. Grumbling about taxes being put up is pretty ironic.

The more obvious point is: If Welsh Labour is so awful, why can the Welsh Conservatives not get people to vote for them?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

what you wish for...

As someone who actually lives there (and has never voted Labour in an Senedd election) I don’t see them doing anything worse than across the border.

As an example this is due to start soon https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/200m-global-centre-rail-excellence-24161623.amp

They are also looking at getting a publicly owned renewable energy developer set up that will partner with the private sector.

They’ve made some bad decisions too - supporting the pie in the sky Circuit of Wales and proposed studios / theme park in Bridgend (although there has been some film studio development there). Scrapping the planned M4 relief road around Newport is still likely to have a negative impact on investment in Wales.
    Slightly different from England in that Welsh Labour has has the opportunity to implement stuff. Hence the article.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

I think there are fair criticisms of health and education outcomes but whether that is anything to do with the colour of the rosette is anyone's guess. Grumbling about taxes being put up is pretty ironic.

The more obvious point is: If Welsh Labour is so awful, why can the Welsh Conservatives not get people to vote for them?

I'm guessing that this is a long ingrained habit where they'll vote for a hat stand if it has a red rosette on it. Takes something seismic to change it.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,797
    Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

what you wish for...

Slightly different from England in that Welsh Labour has has the opportunity to implement stuff. Hence the article.

Is that like the Tories having been able to implement stuff in England?