Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,839

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Struggle to take the 20mph point seriously tbh

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Interesting article on Labour's impact in Wales. Careful
    what you wish for...
    https://business-live.co.uk/opinion-analysis/labour-been-disaster-welsh-economy-25470185

As someone who actually lives there (and has never voted Labour in an Senedd election) I don’t see them doing anything worse than across the border.

As an example this is due to start soon https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/200m-global-centre-rail-excellence-24161623.amp

They are also looking at getting a publicly owned renewable energy developer set up that will partner with the private sector.

They’ve made some bad decisions too - supporting the pie in the sky Circuit of Wales and proposed studios / theme park in Bridgend (although there has been some film studio development there). Scrapping the planned M4 relief road around Newport is still likely to have a negative impact on investment in Wales.
    Slightly different from England in that Welsh Labour has has the opportunity to implement stuff. Hence the article.

Is that like the Tories having been able to implement stuff in England?
    How is that relevant to the appraisal of Welsh Labour?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

I think there are fair criticisms of health and education outcomes but whether that is anything to do with the colour of the rosette is anyone's guess. Grumbling about taxes being put up is pretty ironic.

The more obvious point is: If Welsh Labour is so awful, why can the Welsh Conservatives not get people to vote for them?

I'm guessing that this is a long ingrained habit where they'll vote for a hat stand if it has a red rosette on it. Takes something seismic to change it.
    Very good
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

I think there are fair criticisms of health and education outcomes but whether that is anything to do with the colour of the rosette is anyone's guess. Grumbling about taxes being put up is pretty ironic.

The more obvious point is: If Welsh Labour is so awful, why can the Welsh Conservatives not get people to vote for them?

I'm guessing that this is a long ingrained habit where they'll vote for a hat stand if it has a red rosette on it. Takes something seismic to change it.
    Very good
    What else did you expect from me? :)

We have seen similar when the Red Wall was demolished. I for one thought I would never live to see the day when my home town of Redcar turned into 'Bluecar' at the last GE and returned a Tory MP (also the largest Labour majority to be overturned by the Tories in 2019 - well done Boris).

Sounds like Wales needs a similarly good kick up the arris.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Worked out well for Redcar didn’t it? 😬
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,292
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Very good

We have seen similar when the Red Wall was demolished. I for one thought I would never live to see the day when my home town of Redcar turned into 'Bluecar' at the last GE and returned a Tory MP (also the largest Labour majority to be overturned by the Tories in 2019 - well done Boris).

Having recently changed jobs and now working predominantly on jobs in Wales I’d say there’s very little difference and in other areas Wales has the edge e.g free prescriptions, better support for university students (my daughter gets more grant than her English counterparts).

On the whole, if I had to choose, I would rather be governed by Drakeford and co than the current Westminster mob and I’m certainly no fan of Labour (Welsh or otherwise). At least they aren’t so tangled up trying to sort out their internal issues and scandals they aren’t able to actually govern.

But then you could choose to accept the word of a Tory MS than a neutral member of the Welsh populace when forming your opinion.
  • Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Very good

Having recently changed jobs and now working predominantly on jobs in Wales I’d say there’s very little difference and in other areas Wales has the edge e.g free prescriptions, better support for university students (my daughter gets more grant than her English counterparts).

On the whole, if I had to choose, I would rather be governed by Drakeford and co than the current Westminster mob and I’m certainly no fan of Labour (Welsh or otherwise). At least they aren’t so tangled up trying to sort out their internal issues and scandals they aren’t able to actually govern.

But then you could choose to accept the word of a Tory MS than a neutral member of the Welsh populace when forming your opinion.
    It is a good thing the English electorate is so docile or an obvious cost saving would be to stop subsidising benefits in the provinces
  • Pross

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Very good

It is a good thing the English electorate is so docile or an obvious cost saving would be to stop subsidising benefits in the provinces
    As I’ve said before to you when you make this point the wealth of the UK was built on the industry in these ‘provinces’ (as well as the overseas Empire). Merchants and traders in London wouldn’t have made their fortunes had it not been for those mining coal, iron and tin or working in the mills so think of it as belated payment for the way previous Governments treated these areas.
  • Stevo_666

Worked out well for Redcar didn’t it? 😬

What's changed for the worse? Didn't know you were a Redcar expert.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Very good

Pandora’s box soon opens up.

London starts paying more for services provided to it from outside the city. E.g. utilities.
  • Stevo_666
    Interesting article with evidence that lefties are more inclined to be lazy. And the info comes from a country that possibly leads the world in this area :)
    https://msn.com/en-gb/money/other/french-have-got-even-lazier-study-shows-with-vast-majority-happy-to-work-less/ar-AA1465ns?rc=1&ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=331b9eb6bcba4dbfe97f0e47c2127bb5

Quote:
    "Since the Covid pandemic subsided, 37 per cent of French say they are less motivated to work. The figures vary widely according to political persuasion, with supporters of Leftist leader Jean-Luc Mélenchon being more than twice as likely to say they have lost their will to work than supporters of Emmanuel Macron - 61 per cent to 28 per cent respectively."

Let's see if some of you can be bothered to reply ;)
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Very good

As I’ve said before to you when you make this point the wealth of the UK was built on the industry in these ‘provinces’ (as well as the overseas Empire). Merchants and traders in London wouldn’t have made their fortunes had it not been for those mining coal, iron and tin or working in the mills so think of it as belated payment for the way previous Governments treated these areas.
    I keep re-reading my post and can not see how you have interpreted that as that is what I think.

Does it really not surprise you that nobody has tried to gain an edge by arguing that Scots/Welsh can afford free stuff because we pay for it even though we can not afford the free stuff ourselves.

Or put another way why not write on a bus "If we stopped giving so much money to the rest of the UK we could spend an extra £350m a week to the NHS"
  • morstar said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Very good

London starts paying more for services provided to it from outside the city. E.g. utilities.
    maybe we could set up a debate in a 'Spoons, you can flesh out your argument and I will tell them they can have free prescriptions if they stop paying for other people to have them.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,065

Pross said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Very good

I keep re-reading my post and can not see how you have interpreted that as that is what I think.

Does it really not surprise you that nobody has tried to gain an edge by arguing that Scots/Welsh can afford free stuff because we pay for it even though we can not afford the free stuff ourselves.

Or put another way why not write on a bus "If we stopped giving so much money to the rest of the UK we could spend an extra £350m a week to the NHS"
    National Health Service.
    Possibly not the best example to choose. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Interesting article with evidence that lefties are more inclined to be lazy. And the info comes from a country that possibly leads the world in this area :)
    https://msn.com/en-gb/money/other/french-have-got-even-lazier-study-shows-with-vast-majority-happy-to-work-less/ar-AA1465ns?rc=1&ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=331b9eb6bcba4dbfe97f0e47c2127bb5

Quote:
    "Since the Covid pandemic subsided, 37 per cent of French say they are less motivated to work. The figures vary widely according to political persuasion, with supporters of Leftist leader Jean-Luc Mélenchon being more than twice as likely to say they have lost their will to work than supporters of Emmanuel Macron - 61 per cent to 28 per cent respectively."

For a second, I thought you'd shared something that wasn't in the Telegraph.

Here's the study without the Telegraph's spin on it.

https://www.jean-jaures.org/publication/grosse-fatigue-et-epidemie-de-flemme-quand-une-partie-des-francais-a-mis-les-pouces/

Interesting study, seems like it's a generational shift, and also a Paris/not Paris difference which could increase the skew according to political affiliation.
  • Coincidentally, here's a survey of over 50s' attitudes to work since the pandemic in the UK, Germany and the US.

https://www.thephoenixgroup.com/sites/phoenix-group/files/2022-11/Phoenix-Insights-The-Great-Retirement.pdf
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Quote:

https://www.jean-jaures.org/publication/grosse-fatigue-et-epidemie-de-flemme-quand-une-partie-des-francais-a-mis-les-pouces/

Interesting study, seems like it's a generational shift, and also a Paris/not Paris difference which could increase the skew according to political affiliation.
    At least you bothered to reply :smile: Not sure what that says though as it's in French. Did it agree with the point about lefties being more workshy?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Quote:

At least you bothered to reply :smile: Not sure what that says though as it's in French. Did it agree with the point about lefties being more workshy?
    Google will translate it for you.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Quote:

Google will translate it for you.
    I'm too lazy for that :smiley:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

morstar said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Very good

maybe we could set up a debate in a 'Spoons, you can flesh out your argument and I will tell them they can have free prescriptions if they stop paying for other people to have them.
    I really don’t know where you’re going with this.
    If you boil your argument down to its logical conclusion, you disagree with any form of regional wealth distribution from London.
    If that is the case, London should not benefit from national based pricing for things it does not contribute to.
    Obviously London benefits in the immediate term but it isn’t all one way.
    It also becomes an unserviceable city as the cost of living becomes too high for service workers.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Very good

Ah, so just intended as a bit of satire aimed at the Brexiteers? Its only a matter of time before a Farage type Little Londoner tries it I guess. Maybe he could make himself relevant by leading a push for Scottish Independence using that sort of campaign. Sturgeon should approach him to see if he can engineer it from the other side if she fails to get her new referendum.
  • Stevo_666
    Money must be a bit tight at Leftiebollox HQ as I just got this fund raising email from 'Team Labour':
    Stevo, time to play in our Winter Prize Draw! You could say we’ve pushed the boat (or in this case, car) out for this year’s competition. 

First place wins you a brand new, top of the range Peugeot E-208 electric car, second place wins you £5,000 and third place wins you £1,000! The deadline to enter is Monday, 23 January, 2023. 

And that’s not all! As an early Christmas present from us, we’re offering six extra quick draw prizes of £500 if you enter by Monday, 12 December, 2022.

Any one of these amazing prizes could be yours. Enter our prize draw for a donation of £2 a ticket, or for free, today:
    All proceeds raised from our prize draw fund our crucial campaigns to kick the Tories out of Downing Street and deliver a fairer, greener future for all.

With your support, we can run a winning campaign during the next general election and secure a Labour government.

Enter our Winter Prize Draw today, and you could be driving into a fairer, greener future with a brand new electric car!

Thank you,
    Team Labour

Are they a charity? :smile:

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,801
    In other news, Momentum struggling with its cuckoo-in-the-nest existence.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/22/momentum-in-financial-peril-after-leftwing-exodus-from-labour

Momentum’s future is at risk from serious financial challenges, the group will warn its supporters this week, amid an exodus of leftwing members from Labour.

The grassroots group, which emerged from Jeremy Corbyn’s 2015 leadership campaign, has launched a fundraiser with a plea to supporters, titled “Keep Up Momentum”. In a video posted on social media alongside the campaign, the group says: “We can’t let everything we’ve built disappear.”

The group chiefly relies on individual donations, but also requires supporters to be members of Labour – which has had a knock-on effect on its funding, as thousands of leftwingers have deserted the Labour party under Keir Starmer’s leadership.
  • Stevo_666

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/22/momentum-in-financial-peril-after-leftwing-exodus-from-labour

Momentum’s future is at risk from serious financial challenges, the group will warn its supporters this week, amid an exodus of leftwing members from Labour.

The grassroots group, which emerged from Jeremy Corbyn’s 2015 leadership campaign, has launched a fundraiser with a plea to supporters, titled “Keep Up Momentum”. In a video posted on social media alongside the campaign, the group says: “We can’t let everything we’ve built disappear.”

The group chiefly relies on individual donations, but also requires supporters to be members of Labour – which has had a knock-on effect on its funding, as thousands of leftwingers have deserted the Labour party under Keir Starmer’s leadership.
    Maybe they should do a Christmas raffle? :) They might have to have some more socialist prizes than the cars and cash offered by Labour. Copy of the Socialist Worker rag or a commemorative Michael Foot donkey jacket?
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Maybe they should do a Christmas raffle? :) They might have to have some more socialist prizes than the cars and cash offered by Labour. Copy of the Socialist Worker rag or a commemorative Michael Foot donkey jacket?

Do Tories ever do fundraising, such as raffling (or, rather more Tory-like, auctioning) access to cabinet ministers?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Do Tories ever do fundraising, such as raffling (or, rather more Tory-like, auctioning) access to cabinet ministers?
    Never seen any charity raffles. If you want to help fend off the threat of leftiebollox then you can always donate in the usual way.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Never seen any charity raffles. If you want to help fend off the threat of leftiebollox then you can always donate in the usual way.

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

At least the cash prizes are better :smile: Labour can't really give out too much otherwise their voters may turn away from them.
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

At least the cash prizes are better :smile: Labour can't really give out too much otherwise their voters may turn away from them.
    Except the Labour top prize is a car with a value of over £30k according to your own post so you didn't really think that through did you?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Listened to an interview Starmer has done with Fi Glover and Jane Garvey for their Times Radio podcast

If he ever figures out how to communicate his own story of who he is, and where he's from,to a wider audience in the way he does in this interview, he'll obliterate Sunak at the polls
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The flipside of this of course is grudging admiration for the sheer political brutality of how Boris was able to characterise him in the public imagination.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!