Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• With Scottish independence, what is it about the SNP logic that is materially different to Brexit logic?

Lots of differences, but yours and others denial over Brexit means you are blind to the differences.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    This made me smile :)

https://youtu.be/bi2_2ogPMvo
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,600
    You know I genuinely used to wonder who found this kind of stuff amusing (regardless of political persuasion).

• Stevo_666

You know I genuinely used to wonder who found this kind of stuff amusing (regardless of political persuasion).

That famous Chasey sense of humour, eh ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Are you one of those old duffers who bangs on about how great spitting image was too?
  • You know I genuinely used to wonder who found this kind of stuff amusing (regardless of political persuasion).

that is not very clever but I am a sucker for some of the first edits of Downfall
  • That must have been done by a Corbynite - nobody who lives in the real world could think that a) Starmer wants to be like Johnson or b) that Corbyn occupies a large space in Starmer's head.

I quite like them when they hit the mark, but that's just wasted effort.
  • Stevo_666

Are you one of those old duffers who bangs on about how great spitting image was too?

It had its moments. Would have thought the p1ss takes out of Thatcher and her cabinet would appeal to your right on sensibilities?

Thatcher & The Vegetables from Feeling My Age on Vimeo.

• rick_chasey
    edited February 2021
    Honestly, I see the clips that get repeated over and over and I genuinely wonder why anyone ever refers to it.

I mean, how obvious do you want to get. Thatcher is mean so she likes raw steak and she's so powerful she calls her cabinet vegetables. I am slain.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861

Honestly, I see the clips that get repeated over and over and I genuinely wonder why anyone ever refers to it.

I mean, how obvious do you want to get. Thatcher is mean so she likes raw steak and she's so powerful she calls her cabinet vegetables. I am slain.

It was rarely 'clever': it was mostly just about caricaturing people and making fairly puerile fun of them, but that what most political cartoonists are about - though a lot of them are much more imaginative in their imagery and messages than these animated cartoons.
  • Honestly, I see the clips that get repeated over and over and I genuinely wonder why anyone ever refers to it.

It was rarely 'clever': it was mostly just about caricaturing people and making fairly puerile fun of them, but that what most political cartoonists are about - though a lot of them are much more imaginative in their imagery and messages than these animated cartoons.
    you have to see it as a product of it's time, TV was far more respectful of politicians so it really was cutting edge
  • rick_chasey
    Reminds me of this bit

https://youtu.be/X_IoAHTCUQw
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,225
    edited February 2021

It made stars out of people like Kenneth Baker - they were recognisable public figures because of it. They loved it (well maybe not Kenneth Baker).

I remember that they had a song about Tom King being in the cabinet and being someone that nobody would recognise. That is literally the only thing memorable about Tom King.

Imagine it being noteworthy now that there is a cabinet minister that nobody knows much about. If you want to know more about the defence secretary on wikipedia, you would get:

• Stevo_666

Whatever. You don't seem to have much of sense of humour.
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    edited February 2021
    I never liked Spitting Image all that much, and it was very much 'of its time' - it seems so dated now. Had some good moments, but loads of dross.

However, I've always thought the 'vegetables' one-liner was as close to perfection as you could get as a writer. But then I like Bob Monkhouse as well. And Stuart Lee. Humour's a broad church!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,481

you have to see it as a product of it's time, TV was far more respectful of politicians so it really was cutting edge
    This. Something like that is never going to age well and appear relevant 30 years or more later, try watching HIGNIFY on Dave and you probably won't laugh at something that was topical and amusing when it was first shown.
  • rick_chasey
    Well since we’re sharing stuff we think is funny about politics.

https://youtu.be/uovt1sC3rtM

Ended up seeing this live twice
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Pross said:

This. Something like that is never going to age well and appear relevant 30 years or more later, try watching HIGNIFY on Dave and you probably won't laugh at something that was topical and amusing when it was first shown.
    I actually still find the old ones funny. I also occasionally listen to old episodes of the news quiz?!?!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • I never liked Spitting Image all that much, and it was very much 'of its time' - it seems so dated now. Had some good moments, but loads of dross.

However, I've always thought the 'vegetables' one-liner was as close to perfection as you could get as a writer. But then I like Bob Monkhouse as well. And Stuart Lee. Humour's a broad church!

Despite being a pinko lefty snowflake even I can recognise that Monkhouse is one of the greatest comedians this country ever produced. If I need cheering up I just look up a list of his one liners.
  • Pross
    elbowloh said:

Pross said:

I actually still find the old ones funny. I also occasionally listen to old episodes of the news quiz?!?!
    I guess that's because you recall the incidents they are talking about. If it was something from 20 years before your time you probably wouldn't. Rick was presumably not born or very young when Spitting Image was in its prime and therefore whilst he'll be aware of, for example, the tail end of the Cold War probably wouldn't get the references from that time.
  • rick_chasey
    Lol pross I may be in my thirties but I'm not a moron.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Pross said:

I guess that's because you recall the incidents they are talking about. If it was something from 20 years before your time you probably wouldn't. Rick was presumably not born or very young when Spitting Image was in its prime and therefore whilst he'll be aware of, for example, the tail end of the Cold War probably wouldn't get the references from that time.

Yes, very much of its time, and because the humour is fairly one-dimensional and not particularly cleverly constructed, it's past its sell-by date, even if at the time it poked its targets occasionally amusingly, especially in contrast to Mike Yarwood, who somehow became famous for a handful of fairly vanilla and unconvincing impressions (Harold Wilson, etc.). In comparison, Spitting Image felt decidedly naughty.
  • Pross

Not suggesting you are, I'm sure you understand the subject matter perfectly fine but current affairs is pretty nuanced so looking at satire 30 years plus later isn't going to have the same impact as when you were living through the events being covered. Likewise, I would have understood the events that satirical programmes from the 60s were having a pop at but I doubt I'd have found some gags about, for example, John Profumo very funny. Comedy doesn't age well anyway, satire even less so.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Not suggesting you are, I'm sure you understand the subject matter perfectly fine but current affairs is pretty nuanced so looking at satire 30 years plus later isn't going to have the same impact as when you were living through the events being covered. Likewise, I would have understood the events that satirical programmes from the 60s were having a pop at but I doubt I'd have found some gags about, for example, John Profumo very funny. Comedy doesn't age well anyway, satire even less so.

Depends to an extent on whether the satire is about archetypes or specific people/events, and the quality of the comedic devices. But even Gulliver's Travels needs footnotes if you are going to appreciate the targets of his mickey taking and how satirical the whole thing is.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2021
    Nice to see the Labour party also being massively f*cking financially illiterate with their recovery bond. Literally what is the point of it when the gilt market is basically priced at zero.

So to make it competitive you end up paying more interest than you would otherwise, and since it would be wealthier households who can afford it, if it even takes off it becomes a cash transfer to wealthier households funded by the taxpayer.

WTF.
  • Stevo_666

Nice to see the Labour party also being massively f*cking financially illiterate

What's changed? The rest of your post was kind of superfluous.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Stevo_666 said:

Nice to see the Labour party also being massively f*cking financially illiterate

What's changed? The rest of your post was kind of superfluous.
    What's changed, of course, is that now the tories are trying to out-illiterate them.
  • Nice to see the Labour party also being massively f*cking financially illiterate with their recovery bond. Literally what is the point of it when the gilt market is basically priced at zero.

So to make it competitive you end up paying more interest than you would otherwise, and since it would be wealthier households who can afford it, if it even takes off it becomes a cash transfer to wealthier households funded by the taxpayer.

WTF.

Presumably the plan is for the BofE to keep buying gilts off the Treasury but to avoid anybody pointing out the emperor has no clothes Rishi has to talk about raising taxes to balance the books and this is Labours shiny thing to look at.

BTW I no longer care about what they say as I think we have crossed the rubicon on debt and now it is just a matter of when.
  • rick_chasey
    You get my point about the mechanics of it though, don't you?
  • You get my point about the mechanics of it though, don't you?

Everybody is pretending that the BofE is not just buying Gilts because if they didn’t the house of cards would come crashing down.

Before C19 Boris/Rishi were running a £60bn deficit yet every day I read that he is going to raise taxes to balance the books. Instead of laughing derisively everybody nod and takes him seriously.

So no in all honesty I do not see why you are so vexed by a bloke in no position of power for at least 4 years talking sh1t about the deficit.

In 4 years time when the deficit is £3trn what do you think the new fiscal rule will be to reassure the markets?

Utter cvnts the whole lot of them who will not be in the firing line when it comes crashing down.