BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,589
    edited September 2023

Can't help but notice the EU was able to strong arm apple into making the new iphone use the standard USB-C port.

Of all the ways they could meaningfully try to regulate big tech companies, they've gone with the one that stifles innovation. Will they now regulate bottom brackets on bikes?
    It’s more a comment on the clout. Imagine being at the table to have a say over how to use the clout. A veto even.
    Yes, I understand why you think it is super amazing and demonstrates the great power of the EU, but that power, in my opinion, in this case. is being misused. Furthermore, it's not really a meaningful battle. Bespoke chargers are pretty low down my list of big tech annoyances.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765

Can't help but notice the EU was able to strong arm apple into making the new iphone use the standard USB-C port.

Of all the ways they could meaningfully try to regulate big tech companies, they've gone with the one that stifles innovation. Will they now regulate bottom brackets on bikes?
    It’s more a comment on the clout. Imagine being at the table to have a say over how to use the clout. A veto even.
    Yes, I understand why you think it is super amazing and demonstrates the great power of the EU, but that power, in my opinion, in this case. is being misused. Furthermore, it's not really a meaningful battle. Bespoke chargers are pretty low down my list of big tech annoyances.
    Does seem a bit of an odd and petty point to focus on. Should be up to companies how they spec what they sell. Apparently the reason was to reduce e-waste.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662

Pross said:

I hope so, 'innovation' in that department has been censored
    I don't like all the different sizing, press fit etc. but I think my latest Shimano one which fits a 68mm thread is much better than square taper, so that is progress. The EU should pass a law that all bikes should have 68mm threaded BBs.

Also, all phones should have 3.5mm headphone jack.

I thought you were all "down with this sort of thing" but I'm right behind you so far...

Now let's talk about cars & motorbikes please!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145
    Stevo_666 said:

Does seem a bit of an odd and petty point to focus on. Should be up to companies how they spec what they sell. Apparently the reason was to reduce e-waste.
    They manage to sell their overpriced chargers with standard 3-pin plugs so what's so difficult about having a standard charging port on their phones?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    edited September 2023
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

They manage to sell their overpriced chargers with standard 3-pin plugs so what's so difficult about having a standard charging port on their phones?
    Do they still come with a three pin plug? Also, the 3 pin plug is a safety feature. That's the sort of thing that government's should be involved with.
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

Pross said:

I don't like all the different sizing, press fit etc. but I think my latest Shimano one which fits a 68mm thread is much better than square taper, so that is progress. The EU should pass a law that all bikes should have 68mm threaded BBs.

I thought you were all "down with this sort of thing" but I'm right behind you so far...

I'm happy when things become standardised. I don't think it is the government's job to legislate for it though.
  • ddraver said:

Pross said:

I'm happy when things become standardised. I don't think it is the government's job to legislate for it though.
    Indeed. Bike wheels / tyres are a good example (pre-tubeless) i.e. road bike wheels are standardised at 27'' across the world without any government intervention, with relatively little variety in available widths. So even someone as mechanically inept as me can buy wheels to fit my bike with tyres to fit the rims.

Tubeless has made things a bit trickier given the hooked and hookless distinction, but I'm sure one form will soon come to dominate. (Bit of an issue too with disk brakes allowing wider tyres, as if my understanding is correct, some tyres width / rim combinations are incompatible.)

All governments need to do is impose a pragmatic safety regime.
  • TheBigBean

ddraver said:

Pross said:

Indeed. Bike wheels / tyres are a good example (pre-tubeless) i.e. road bike wheels are standardised at 27'' across the world without any government intervention, with relatively little variety in available widths. So even someone as mechanically inept as me can buy wheels to fit my bike with tyres to fit the rims.

Tubeless has made things a bit trickier given the hooked and hookless distinction, but I'm sure one form will soon come to dominate. (Bit of an issue too with disk brakes allowing wider tyres, as if my understanding is correct, some tyres width / rim combinations are incompatible.)

And mountain bike wheels used to be 26 inches...
  • ddraver said:

Pross said:

I can't tell if you are being serious or just taking the mickey, tyre sizing has always been a minefield, and things have only got worse.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605

ddraver said:

Pross said:

I can't tell if you are being serious or just taking the mickey, tyre sizing has always been a minefield, and things have only got worse.
    Plus you have to think about QR vs thru axle, 6 bolt vs centrelock...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ddraver said:

Pross said:

You must be overthinking things then. I am a complete technical duffer and have never bought the wrong sized wheel or tyre for my road bike. This is all the proof you need that the system that has evolved is easily navigable. I have had a few problems over the years with the kids' bikes as they have in their time ridden on bikes with 12", 14", 16", 20", 24", 26" and 27" wheels.

Ensuring I bought the correct spares for MTB disk brakes to go on hols nearly sent me over the edge as the possibilities seemed endless!
  • pangolin said:

ddraver said:

Pross said:

Plus you have to think about QR vs thru axle, 6 bolt vs centrelock...
    Not a problem I've encountered in practice. Maybe I don't buy enough wheels.
  • TheBigBean
    edited September 2023

ddraver said:

Pross said:

You must be overthinking things then. I am a complete technical duffer and have never bought the wrong sized wheel or tyre for my road bike. This is all the proof you need that the system that has evolved is easily navigable. I have had a few problems over the years with the kids' bikes as they have in their time ridden on bikes with 12", 14", 16", 20", 24", 26" and 27" wheels.

Ensuring I bought the correct spares for MTB disk brakes to go on hols nearly sent me over the edge as the possibilities seemed endless!
    There was also a transition from 27 1/4 inch to 700c, but I think the basic point is that the industry managed without government interference.

Edit - poor memory for wheel sizes.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

ddraver said:

Pross said:

There was also a transition from 27 1/4 inch to 700c, but I think the basic point is that the industry managed without government interference.
    Entirely different market structure, not comparable.
  • There has never been a 27 1/4 inch wheel for starters, it used to be 27" in the UK, while France had 700mm. Now we've got 29" wheels which are actually 700C, 650B which are sometimes called 27.5". You might think that the 26" wheels that used to be fitted to touring and shopping bikes are the same as 26" wheels fitted to mountain bikes, but you'd be wrong. The quoted size makes no sense either, it is supposed to be the diameter over the tyre, but what happens if you change the size of the tyre? It's a mess which ISO has tried its best to sort out, which while not being strictly government interference is at least someone looking at the mess that happens when everyone is allowed to do their own thing.

Joseph Whitworth is turning in his grave.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,177

ddraver said:

Pross said:

who else will reign in manufacturers that create proprietary connectors that lock-in consumers and increase the appalling proliferation of e-waste?

the lightning connector is long outdated, usb-c thrashes it on maximum power and data rates

apple already dropped it from some other products in favour of the superior usb-c

the only reason for apple continuing to inflict it on consumers is to keep them locked in and perpetuate a revenue stream - even third-party manufacturers have to pay apple a fee per cable due to built-in authentication chip (or counterfeit it)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • TheBigBean
    sungod said:

ddraver said:

Pross said:

who else will reign in manufacturers that create proprietary connectors that lock-in consumers and increase the appalling proliferation of e-waste?

the lightning connector is long outdated, usb-c thrashes it on maximum power and data rates

apple already dropped it from some other products in favour of the superior usb-c

the only reason for apple continuing to inflict it on consumers is to keep them locked in and perpetuate a revenue stream - even third-party manufacturers have to pay apple a fee per cable due to built-in authentication chip (or counterfeit it)
    The free market.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,017
    sungod said:

You are going to have to explain that. Lightning is double the speed of USB-C.
    USB4 levels the field to Lightning.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

sungod said:

You are going to have to explain that. Lightning is double the speed of USB-C.
    USB4 levels the field to Lightning.
    Are you sure? Every article I’ve seen suggests the opposite to be the case?

https://www.lifewire.com/usb-c-vs-lightning-5206813
  • pblakeney
    edited September 2023
    Don't know what their sources were. USB-C prior to USB4 was 20 Gbps, Lightning is 40 Gbps. USB4 is 40 Gbps.

https://www.techadvisor.com/article/742967/usb-speeds-types-and-features-explained.html
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

Don't know what their sources were. USB-C prior to USB4 was 20 Gbps, Lightning is 40 Gbps. USB4 is 40 Gbps.

https://www.techadvisor.com/article/742967/usb-speeds-types-and-features-explained.html

No it’s not. You’re looking at Thunderbolt. It’s the lightning adapter that has been changed on the current iPhones.

The article you quote doesn’t specify any lightning transfer speeds.

Google usb-c v lightning
  • You can’t use a thunderbolt cable in iPhone 14 or older.

Lightning was purely a money spinner for Apple.
  • The EU have done iPhone users a massive favour and increased the potential transfer speeds as I believe the 15 will be USB-C but also support Thunderbolt 4 which are both a huge leap on from Lightning.

• pblakeney

pblakeney said:

No it’s not. You’re looking at Thunderbolt. It’s the lightning adapter that has been changed on the current iPhones.

Google usb-c v lightning
    Ah, fair enough. I've failed twice today 🤬. Mostly because I'm not interested in what a phone can do. I was thinking laptops/PC. Surprised the EU didn't go for that too.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Google usb-c v lightning
    Ah, fair enough. I've failed twice today 🤬. Mostly because I'm not interested in what a phone can do. I was thinking laptops/PC. Surprised the EU didn't go for that too.
    There was no need. Thunderbolt and USB-C cables are interchangeable. From here on in you can use a USB-C or Thunderbolt to charge all mobile phones and laptops.

This is good policy.
  • TheBigBean

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Google usb-c v lightning
    There was no need. Thunderbolt and USB-C cables are interchangeable. From here on in you can use a USB-C or Thunderbolt to charge all mobile phones and laptops.

This is good policy.
    Any other subjects you think governments should help consumers decide with?
  • Is this not just an extension of CE? Not all regulation is detrimental to consumers
  • rick_chasey

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Google usb-c v lightning

This is good policy.
    Food safety levels
  • rick_chasey
    Flammable or otherwise unsafe materials.

• pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Google usb-c v lightning

This is good policy.
    Food safety levels
    Risky one. Some have concerns about soft cheese.
    Veronese68 wrote: