BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765

That the EU could force them to adopt something so fundamental to the product shows the power of the EU...

That's true, but it's very telling that the "Great EU Power Flex" is over phone chargers rather than anything of even vague geopolitical significance.

More interesting to me is that Apple has apparently gone for USBC charging on its iPhones worldwide now, rather than just to comply with the EU.

That's because, despite EU basher rhetoric, the EU is not really a well rounded geopolitical power; it's an economic power, or more accurately, an extremely powerful market...
    True enough. Given those limitations, one wonders why it needs five Presidents and a Parliament.

It has aspirations to be like a real country.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Have they increased since 2016?
  • Stevo_666 said:

That the EU could force them to adopt something so fundamental to the product shows the power of the EU...

That's true, but it's very telling that the "Great EU Power Flex" is over phone chargers rather than anything of even vague geopolitical significance.

More interesting to me is that Apple has apparently gone for USBC charging on its iPhones worldwide now, rather than just to comply with the EU.

That's because, despite EU basher rhetoric, the EU is not really a well rounded geopolitical power; it's an economic power, or more accurately, an extremely powerful market...
    True enough. Given those limitations, one wonders why it needs five Presidents and a Parliament.

For this to become a reality, all member states will have to surrender their vetoes. Then Skynet (aka The Commission without the constraints of an off switch) will do what Skynet does. There will doubtless be a film about in the future with the Terminator and Sarah Connor roles replaced by Boris and Mad Nad.

The potential saving grace is that Skynet only became dangerous when it became self aware. As politicians have no self awareness, becoming self aware may be a step too far for The Commission.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145
    edited September 2023
    I-I-I-I'd very much like your apparel, and... err... in fact your motorbicycle as well.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

For this to become a reality, all member states will have to surrender their vetoes. Then Skynet (aka The Commission without the constraints of an off switch) will do what Skynet does. There will doubtless be a film about in the future with the Terminator and Sarah Connor roles replaced by Boris and Mad Nad.

The potential saving grace is that Skynet only became dangerous when it became self aware. As politicians have no self awareness, becoming self aware may be a step too far for The Commission.
    Surely Boris would be John Connor, leader of the human resistance. Von der Leyen could be ice cold cyborg sent back from the future to terminate him and remove all traces of Brexit from history. Mad Nad could be Sarah Connor, Farage could be Kyle Reese sent back to save her and Juncker would be the old drunk in the alleyway whose pants Kyle Reese nicks :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I don't get it either.

If iPhone users have usbc lying around for all their other devices, and usbc is everywhere, market forces should determine that apple goes to usbc anyway.

Who wants a phone that you have to carry your own specific charger for?

I assumed that paying more to be different was a badge of honour for Apple users.
  • @surrey_commuter Are you ignoring this thread?

work got in the way

will be bored again tomorrow so keep going
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Surely Boris would be John Connor, leader of the human resistance. Von der Leyen could be ice cold cyborg sent back from the future to terminate him and remove all traces of Brexit from history. Mad Nad could be Sarah Connor, Farage could be Kyle Reese sent back to save her and Juncker would be the old drunk in the alleyway whose pants Kyle Reese nicks :smile:
    Didn't Kyle Reese shag someone he was working with, get her pregnant then leave her with the kid? That sounds more like Boris.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Doesn't John Connor win?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,589

@surrey_commuter Are you ignoring this thread?

work got in the way

will be bored again tomorrow so keep going
    I'm not even the free market puritan that you are, but I've been driven to madness.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Doesn't John Connor win?
    He got Brexit done, so yes ;)
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Didn't Kyle Reese shag someone he was working with, get her pregnant then leave her with the kid? That sounds more like Boris.
    I suppose you could have cast Jezza and Diane but they're too pacifist.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Doesn't John Connor win?
    Think that was May. At any point after that it was just a question of how we left. Excellent PR to convince people that it's something he did, though.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Doesn't John Connor win?
    Think that was May. At any point after that it was just a question of how we left. Excellent PR to convince people that it's something he did, though.
    As with Ken’s bikes and the olympics
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Doesn't John Connor win?
    As with Ken’s bikes and the olympics
    And the Garden Bri...
    Oh no, sorry, that was a ridiculous vanity project he spunked a load of money on, offered little benefit to anyone and most Londoners were opposed to.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Curious to what he thinks "losing" Brexit is, given his previous definitions of "winning"
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221
    He could really benefit from the old 'better to remain silent and be thought a fool' quote.
  • Pross said:

He could really benefit from the old 'better to remain silent and be thought a fool' quote.

More Dunning-Krugerism.

I start to wonder if principled, intelligent people just steer clear of politics now because they'd be surrounded by people with neither of those qualities.
  • Pross said:

No money in that.
  • Chinese electric cars will reduce UK emissions but what about rivals here? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66820791

What’s everyone’s view on this? Tariffs as per EU?
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205

Chinese electric cars will reduce UK emissions but what about rivals here? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66820791

What’s everyone’s view on this? Tariffs as per EU?

There will be times when the three big global powers don't align. The pragmatic thing to do would be to avoid taking sides on the issue for as long as it is possible to, and when that avenue is exhausted, align to the one that you do the most business with, or you expect to do the most business with in the future. You've got to expect that on most things that will be the EU.

I'm not sure on electric cars though; China does seem to have the jump on the market, at the lower end certainly.

As a small player we'll always be a follower rather than a leader, but I suppose the "Brexit benefit" here is that we can choose to follow China or the US for some things, if we don't like the EUs stance. Obviously this ignores the fact that whilst in the EU, we were able to influence the EU stance.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221
    I’m not sure China has the jump on others. European and US manufacturers seem to concentrated their efforts on EVs being at the large / luxury end of the market and largely ignored trying to get something for those on lower budgets or wanting a small city car.
  • TheBigBean
    If the UK is happy to have cheap electric cars on its streets, then it doesn't have a lot to do with the EU. It's a Brexit upside.
  • TheBigBean
    The CMA seems to have done a decent job of defending the free market.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66875075
  • TheBigBean
    In other news, the Brexit deal can't be altered to benefit car manufacturers both sides of the channel. The EU needs autarky economic self-sufficiency and independence

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/sep/22/we-cant-alter-brexit-deal-to-appease-car-industry-says-european-commissioner
  • rick_chasey

In other news, the Brexit deal can't be altered to benefit car manufacturers both sides of the channel. The EU needs autarky economic self-sufficiency and independence

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/sep/22/we-cant-alter-brexit-deal-to-appease-car-industry-says-european-commissioner

Is realpolitk really beyond you? The rationale is obvious.
  • TheBigBean

Explain it to me. They want more locally produced batteries. Yet, everyone who is trying to do that says they need more time.
  • rick_chasey

Explain it to me. They want more locally produced batteries. Yet, everyone who is trying to do that says they need more time.
    There is a schedule to Britain/EU trade agreements. The deal struck is up for review in 2025.

t is incredibly difficult to get all 27 countries to sign up to stuff in general, so it makes a lot of sense to stick to said schedule. Especially when, as they point out "the commission and EU leaders are bound under competition laws to look at the entire automotive “ecosystem” and not favour one “category” in the industry over the other."

What's the point of having a schedule if you're not gonna stick to it? UK signed up to this in 2020 and is stuck with it to 2025.

EU is a rules based organisation because it has to be; marshalling 27 nation states is not easy. So you can't just flex because you fancy it. That's not how they operate.

Especially when you consider that the EU has lots of leverage over the negotiations, especially once you bring their scale and clout into it, so it also makes sense from that perspective not to open negotiations up on a narrow basis where the EU is unable to bring its full leverage to bare.