We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

😂😂😂

Nobody thinks signing up to CE as a Brexit failure. I’ve been banging on about it for the last million pages. Pretending we were going to create our own UKCA standard and getting business’ to spaff a load of money on it before accepting the inevitable is the failure or would you disagree?

You used to make salient points regarding Brexit, now you just regurgitate Telegraph nonsense that I don’t think you even believe in. It’s a shame as you used to be a useful counter point.
    I’ve always tried to be pragmatic but will always call out nonsense policy regardless of which side of the fence I sit.

Who else exactly is making salient points about Brexit in this thread that isn't a complete rehash of stuff debated to death or the 'ooh, we've found a problem that we can try to blame on Brexit, let's rejoin to solve it' approach?
    I would agree that there has been a tendency to blame anything and everything on Brexit which isn’t helpful, there has also been insightful regarding the issues that have arisen from Brexit, your own being included in that.

It is a discussion board though?

You didn’t answer my question on wether you thought UKCA was a Brexit failure btw 👍
    Not sure but not that significant in the scheme of things as far as I'm concerned. Surely going back to CE is a positive thing from your point of view?
    The issue isn’t a the standard chosen now. It is that the muppets in charge genuinely thought a dual standards scheme was viable and forced industry to waste many man hours and £ complying, having been advised by many experts that a dual scheme was doomed before bowing to the inevitable.

“Poor judgement” is the death knell of many politicians, and with good reason.

He asked me whether I thought it was a Brexit failure. You're making a different point.
    Fair point. The sad saga of the standards regime is a failure of the Brexiteers. Thankfully in this case, real world practicalities prevented the Brexiteers from doing too much harm with their stupidity.

But for the avoidance of doubt, there is nothing good about this in terms of Brexit / Brexiteer credibility.

Apart from all the money people have wasted getting their products certified to a redundant standard.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The midas touch

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765

Stevo_666 said:

Irony of course is the steadfast belief in superior British governance has taken an absolute battering largely as a result of Brexit.

You should read that book that I linked to above - wonderful bit of confirmation bias.
    You genuinely think governance had been good since Brexit?
    That's not the point I'm making. Go read the review in the link.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Either it's biased or it's accurate. Which is it?
  • Stevo_666

Either it's biased or it's accurate. Which is it?

Have a read and let me know what you think first.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I'm not keeping up... is it OK to call some Brexit voters really stupid?

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,589

I'm not keeping up... is it OK to call some Brexit voters really stupid?

Stupidity is well distributed. Those sort of articles are aimed at the remain voting equivalents.
  • Stevo_666

Stupidity is well distributed. Those sort of articles are aimed at the remain voting equivalents.
    I hope you're not implying that Brian is a thicko :)
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538

I have found the easiest thing to do with these articles is assume the person they are written about is simply trolling their interviewer.

LBC had a call in where they were looking for similar stories but also for remain voters who now felt we should stay out. As is generally to be expected with such call ins, no one came across well. Most leavers seemed to regret their vote for entirely foreseeable reasons. Whilst most remain voters now felt we should stay out to inflict some kind of righteous punishment on the country.
  • An interesting development

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

• “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666

I love to see naive optimism sometimes.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

It's fine. We just never achieved escape velocity. 🙂
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

We did, it's just that the Imperial Battle Cruiser is still in pursuit :)
  • It’s good news we’ve rejoined 👍
  • Stevo_666
    "The delusion is strong in this one" ;)
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

We did, it's just that the Imperial Battle Cruiser is still in pursuit :)
    😄
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666 said:

It’s a good scheme. Would you rather we didn’t rejoin it?
  • I wonder is 'Starmer will rejoin' a dire warning of the cost of voting Labour, or naive optimism.

And does the selection of Hilary Benn (of the Benn Act) as Shadow SoSNI change this calculation?

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662

Stevo_666 said:

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

I'd be happy if we could just rejoin the single market and customs union but sadly we can't cherry pick if the EU are to be believed. So the ever closer political union, erosion of national decision making, adoption of the Euro etc make rejoining somewhat unappealing as a long term prospect. Clearly some of those things would have been different if we had never left, but we can't turn the clock back.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'd be happy if we could just rejoin the single market and customs union but sadly we can't cherry pick if the EU are to be believed. So the ever closer political union, erosion of national decision making, adoption of the Euro etc make rejoining somewhat unappealing as a long term prospect. Clearly some of those things would have been different if we had never left, but we can't turn the clock back.
    We can rejoin the SM and CU in the morning.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605
    edited September 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

He's talking about the science programme not the EU
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

He's talking about the science programme not the EU
    In which case, not bothered either way.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

How's that done? Without strings.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

One simply rejoins the Single Market
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

SM and CU membership were on Barnier’s famous chart mapping what’s available against “red lines”. The UK’s redlines of “no ECJ” and no “FoM” both individually ruled out SM membership and a desire to follow an independent trade policy ruled out CU membership.

What was never on offer was a “mix and match” approach ie only a U.K. picked selection of features applying.

• rjsterry

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

SM and CU membership were on Barnier’s famous chart mapping what’s available against “red lines”. The UK’s redlines of “no ECJ” and no “FoM” both individually ruled out SM membership and a desire to follow an independent trade policy ruled out CU membership.

What was never on offer was a “mix and match” approach ie only a U.K. picked selection of features applying.

If there was FoM would anyone even notice?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    edited September 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You think Horizon doesn't have strings?

What do you think they've been negotiating all this time?
    Pinnacle Monzonite