Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

It does seem like the biggest Brexit drama queens are those who own properties in Europe ;)

Who knew Brexit made Brits who lead international lives that involved other EU countries more difficult.
    Blimey, that's a new one. We're in the same bucket as the rest of the world now. C'est la vie, as we say in the UK.
    Well, not in the same bucket as EU countries, obviously.

I appreciate your life is pretty UK centric but for those of us who have international families and lives, implicitly built on that free movement, it is a genuine shock and problem.

To be glib about it, and to argue "well it's now the same for you as it is for those who have families outside of the EU" really misses the point.

Those of us with multiple citizenships are not, despite what May will say, citizens of nowhere. We still live our lives and for a large portion of them it's been made substantially harder.

There's a GE coming up in just over a year, so the best thing to do is vote for a party that makes rejoining the EU a manifesto promise and has a more than a snowball in Hells chance of winning. Oh hang on...
    What you're actually saying without realising it is that those who want to rejoin should keep banging on about it incessantly for years and years because that way some party might decide to put in a manifesto that it would be an option.
    Even if I was, why would I care?
    Someone using your account keeps telling people to shut up about Brexit.
    It's for their own good - hate to see people wasting their efforts. In any event, I'm sure that if it's such a great idea then surely people will be falling over themselves to vote for any party that has it in their manifesto?
    People who didn't want us to join in the first place banged on about it for 40 odd years and eventually got their own way so why shouldn't those who want to rejoin do the same?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

It does seem like the biggest Brexit drama queens are those who own properties in Europe ;)

Who knew Brexit made Brits who lead international lives that involved other EU countries more difficult.
    Blimey, that's a new one. We're in the same bucket as the rest of the world now. C'est la vie, as we say in the UK.

I appreciate your life is pretty UK centric but for those of us who have international families and lives, implicitly built on that free movement, it is a genuine shock and problem.

To be glib about it, and to argue "well it's now the same for you as it is for those who have families outside of the EU" really misses the point.

Those of us with multiple citizenships are not, despite what May will say, citizens of nowhere. We still live our lives and for a large portion of them it's been made substantially harder.

There's a GE coming up in just over a year, so the best thing to do is vote for a party that makes rejoining the EU a manifesto promise and has a more than a snowball in Hells chance of winning. Oh hang on...
    What you're actually saying without realising it is that those who want to rejoin should keep banging on about it incessantly for years and years because that way some party might decide to put in a manifesto that it would be an option.
    It's for their own good - hate to see people wasting their efforts. In any event, I'm sure that if it's such a great idea then surely people will be falling over themselves to vote for any party that has it in their manifesto?
    In the same spirit, I think you might be wasting your valuable posting time trying to get people to stop posting about it.

I will not advise you whether to continue, as I realise the same would then apply to this post.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

People who didn't want us to join in the first place banged on about it for 40 odd years and eventually got their own way so why shouldn't those who want to rejoin do the same?
    Vote for it then.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    edited August 2023

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

In the same spirit, I think you might be wasting your valuable posting time trying to get people to stop posting about it.

I will not advise you whether to continue, as I realise the same would then apply to this post.
    If you think its a good use of your time...however it won't change what I post :smile:

Also you haven't answered my question above.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

If you think its a good use of your time...however it won't change what I post :smile:

You would have been saying the same thing about those campaigning to leave when it was in no manifesto of any party that was anywhere near power.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You would have been saying the same thing about those campaigning to leave when it was in no manifesto of any party that was anywhere near power.
    Whatever. If you want it, vote for it.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,677
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

And in the meantime, we'll keep banging on about it, to shift the dial even further to the remain side. Successful campaigns only happen when they are kept in the public gaze, for however long it takes. Since opinion is moving in the right direction, all the more reason not to give up.

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

And in the meantime, we'll keep banging on about it, to shift the dial even further to the remain side. Successful campaigns only happen when they are kept in the public gaze, for however long it takes. Since opinion is moving in the right direction, all the more reason not to give up.

100% agree with this.

We'll never have a proper conversation about our place in Europe whilst the Daily Mail wing of the Tories are in charge, but they are not long of this world. Labour have kept cards very close to their chest but I am sure their positions will be nowhere near as entrenched as this lot.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Tories that become the first party to push for closer integration, if only to distance themselves from the toxicity of the 2016-24 iteration of the party.

There are a lot of people that want the perks we had in the EU back and it's only a matter of time before parties start courting their votes.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Vote for it then.
    What, like all those who wanted to leave did for 40 years when no Party was offering it as a policy? If a (main) Party would have it has a policy I would vote for them.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You know I'm right.
  • briantrumpet

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

100% agree with this.

We'll never have a proper conversation about our place in Europe whilst the Daily Mail wing of the Tories are in charge, but they are not long of this world. Labour have kept cards very close to their chest but I am sure their positions will be nowhere near as entrenched as this lot.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Tories that become the first party to push for closer integration, if only to distance themselves from the toxicity of the 2016-24 iteration of the party.

There are a lot of people that want the perks we had in the EU back and it's only a matter of time before parties start courting their votes.

I'd been hoping that Sunak might have been pragmatic enough to try that tactic, as they've got nothing else to lose electorally, but it seems he's been taken hostage by the Britain First wing of the Tory Party, and he's happy to cut off any appendages he's got left while the ship goes down. (I hope someone appreciates mixed metaphors.)
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You know I'm right.
    I'm afraid I don't.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Vote for it then.
    What, like all those who wanted to leave did for 40 years when no Party was offering it as a policy? If a (main) Party would have it has a policy I would vote for them.
    That's not my problem.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

If you think that will shift the dial then good for you. Good luck.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You know I'm right.
    I'm afraid I don't.
    I admire your misplaced optimism in your influence on what other people post. Good luck to you.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You know I'm right.
    I'm afraid I don't.
    I admire your misplaced optimism in your influence on what other people post. Good luck to you.
    Looking at the number of replies a lot of my posts seem to generate, not sure why you say that :smile:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145
    edited August 2023
    Are you absolutely sure it's not you replying?

πŸ” πŸ₯š
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

πŸ” πŸ₯š

Remember, I'm ignoring cheap shots ;)
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

πŸ” πŸ₯š

Is that in the same way as you're not looking at this thread any more?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

πŸ” πŸ₯š

Nope, I am looking at currently. Sometimes I like to leave it alone because there's lot of pointless and repetiive whining n it though.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

πŸ” πŸ₯š

Nope, I am looking at currently. Sometimes I like to leave it alone because there's lot of pointless and repetiive whining n it though.
    I've noticed that.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

πŸ” πŸ₯š

😁
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

πŸ” πŸ₯š

I've noticed that.
    Lol
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

πŸ” πŸ₯š

I've noticed that.
    True, it's hard to miss the amount of whining.
  • rjsterry
    OMG are you still going?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham

• briantrumpet

I wonder if that would sound any less insane translated into cod Latin. Still, I'm sure the Daily Mail is really happy with its Β£1m investment.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited August 2023
  • briantrumpet

I'd not be complaining if I were Irish.

I wonder what happened in 2016...
  • Why would we all complain about that graph?