BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,677
    At the risk of repeating myself, even with its understood bias, it used to be worthy of the accreditation as a 'paper of record', and actually reported news. These days I just read it to see what reasoning the UKIP-Conservatives are relying on for their batsht-crazy ideas, and for a laugh at what they consider worth printing. Actually genuinely sad that it's ended up as it has.
  • briantrumpet
    PS, plenty of 'middle class vegetables' at the market this morning. And in the supermarket. But, yeah, 'the weather'.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,412
    Curious Brian, do you actually comment on cycling?! :D
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    edited August 2023
    Needs the Two Ronnie’s and John Cleese to explain
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765

😂😂😂

Nobody thinks signing up to CE as a Brexit failure. I’ve been banging on about it for the last million pages. Pretending we were going to create our own UKCA standard and getting business’ to spaff a load of money on it before accepting the inevitable is the failure or would you disagree?

You used to make salient points regarding Brexit, now you just regurgitate Telegraph nonsense that I don’t think you even believe in. It’s a shame as you used to be a useful counter point.
    I’ve always tried to be pragmatic but will always call out nonsense policy regardless of which side of the fence I sit.

Who else exactly is making salient points about Brexit in this thread that isn't a complete rehash of stuff debated to death or the 'ooh, we've found a problem that we can try to blame on Brexit, let's rejoin to solve it' approach?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet

Curious Brian, do you actually comment on cycling?! :D

Once in a while, though I don't follow racing, just enjoy riding my bike as much as I can, and that's a fairly simple pursuit. I'll dive into the Workshop forum from time to time if I can't work something out, used to enjoy trolling on the leg strength threads in Training, and used to look into the Tours and Tours & Expeditions threads, but they aren't terribly lively. This is a mostly fun place with interesting people mostly with much more high-powered work lives (and varied ones at that) than I have. I don't do many forums, but CS is always entertaining, and often enlightening.

Having said that, I came to BR in the first place not knowing if I'd be ready for a Tour Ride (ToB sportive) in 2010 on my diet of riding, and was encouraged to give it a go (and I was fine).
  • Stevo_666 said:

😂😂😂

Nobody thinks signing up to CE as a Brexit failure. I’ve been banging on about it for the last million pages. Pretending we were going to create our own UKCA standard and getting business’ to spaff a load of money on it before accepting the inevitable is the failure or would you disagree?

You used to make salient points regarding Brexit, now you just regurgitate Telegraph nonsense that I don’t think you even believe in. It’s a shame as you used to be a useful counter point.
    I’ve always tried to be pragmatic but will always call out nonsense policy regardless of which side of the fence I sit.

Who else exactly is making salient points about Brexit in this thread that isn't a complete rehash of stuff debated to death or the 'ooh, we've found a problem that we can try to blame on Brexit, let's rejoin to solve it' approach?
    I would agree that there has been a tendency to blame anything and everything on Brexit which isn’t helpful, there has also been insightful regarding the issues that have arisen from Brexit, your own being included in that.

It is a discussion board though?

You didn’t answer my question on wether you thought UKCA was a Brexit failure btw 👍
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Stevo_666 said:

The Irish corporate tax rate was reduced from 40% to 12.5% between 1996 and 2003. Wonder if that had an impact?

Indeed. Combined with a young, well-educated, English-speaking workforce with a strong relationship with the US, common travel area with the UK and membership of the EU single market

The really interesting thing is the shape of the Irish graph. I'd think it may be unique in the developed world to take until 2000 to have the same number employed in the economy as in 1880

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Stevo_666 said:

Sounds like some of you would enjoy reading this book :smile:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/books/non-fiction/peter-foster-review-what-went-wrong-brexit/

Brexit Derangement Syndrome is a terrifying condition. It can take intelligent people and turn them into the type of activists you see outside Parliament wearing blue berets with yellow stars. Consider the case of Peter Foster who, for many years, wrote sensible reports for this newspaper, and was latterly its Europe Editor. Even then, Foster didn’t disguise his distaste for Brexit: he gave prominence to forecasts suggesting that Britain’s economy would tank, he wanted to stay in the customs union, and he was one of the earliest supporters of the “backstop” – which removed Ireland’s incentive to push the EU to a more open trade-deal. In general, however, he strove to be informative, not declaratory.

Not any more. In What Went Wrong with Brexit, every gloomy report by a Europhile think-tank is quoted as objective truth, and every Eurocrat is treated as a disinterested expert. In his accounts of the past and his recommendations for the future, Foster praises British concessions to the EU as mature and sensible, while condemning any assertiveness as unrealistic. For example, he thinks it obvious that the UK should sign up to whatever regulations the EU might adopt in future, at least as regards food and veterinary standards. To see how odd that notion is, try flipping it around and demanding that the EU accept “dynamic alignment” with the UK, arbitrated by our supreme court.

At no stage does Foster recognise that the EU can be vindictive or inconsistent. At Salzburg in 2018, Theresa May offered to accept Brussels standards unilaterally and even to pay for the privilege; but, conditioned to reject every British proposal, EU leaders said no, thereby missing their best chance to have the kind of tight relationship that Foster wants. This episode goes unmentioned.

Indeed, this is a book which makes no pretence at balance or nuance. Brexit is presented as an unmitigated calamity with no upsides at all. Foster mentions Covid-19 in passing, but the idea that paying people to stay home for the better part of two years might have a more serious impact on our economy than a change in our trading patterns is not considered.

Polemics have their place: I wrote one myself before the referendum. But I did so as, so to speak, a columnist rather than a news reporter. Foster started at the Telegraph under Charles Moore, who liked to hire correspondents who disagreed with the paper’s line, knowing that this would make them police their own biases.

Since Foster moved to the Financial Times three years ago, however, it seems as though such restraints have come off. Again and again, he gives his stories an anti-Brexit angle. Trade deals are portrayed as threats to British farmers, and the UK’s recognition of the EU’s CE kitemark, which the FT might have hailed as a welcome step towards mutual recognition and jurisdictional competition, is howled down as a Brexit failure. Most recently, Foster claimed – in a news piece, not on the opinion pages – that proposed changes in our intellectual-property rules to allow easier imports were a Brexit-driven threat to our creative industries.

That, reader, is what you get here for 175 pages – pamphleteering dressed up as analysis. And, no doubt, it will sell. A terrifying number of people are unable to move on from the 2016 referendum. Some actively wish for Brexit’s failure so as to be able to say “I told you so”. Yet it isn’t even as though they had a plan to rejoin. Foster accepts that such a move is off the menu, and instead he proposes various ways to deepen our co-operation with the EU. But you feel, somehow, that all this is secondary. Like 18th-century Jacobites, the #FBPE crowd have no real plan beyond insisting to one another that they were right all along. This book is for them

I wonder does Hannan think things are going well
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

I wonder does Hannan think

FTFY
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Christ, surely the one thing the forum can agree on is that an opinion from Daniel Hannan is worthless....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    edited August 2023
  • briantrumpet
    It hardly needs saying that Hannan is either very stupid, or thinks we are.

• rick_chasey
    Will still never forgive the FT for describing him in Lunch with the FT as the “brains behind Brexit”

https://www.ft.com/content/5fb1afd4-e3e4-11e6-9645-c9357a75844a
  • briantrumpet

Will still never forgive the FT for describing him in Lunch with the FT as the “brains behind Brexit”

No wonder it's not turned out as we were promised. The more you look at the cast list who had a hand in it, the more you realise why it was doomed. Even if you'd had the most able and agile politicians, it would have been hard to get something positive out of cutting trade ties with the massive market on our doorstep, but when the 'brains' behind it and its implementation were the likes of Johnson, Frost, Hannan and David Davis, it's no wonder the 'easiest deal in human history' didn't quite go to plan.

I wonder what happened to Cake & Eat It...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,018
    edited August 2023

It went past it's use by date.
    Prime time was just after it's too early and the nanosecond to it's too late.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

It went past it's use by date.
    Prime time was just after it's too early and the nanosecond to it's too late.

I shall have to go back through the thread's 2074 pages to see if anyone recognised that fleeting moment.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

😂😂😂

I would agree that there has been a tendency to blame anything and everything on Brexit which isn’t helpful, there has also been insightful regarding the issues that have arisen from Brexit, your own being included in that.

You didn’t answer my question on wether you thought UKCA was a Brexit failure btw 👍
    Not sure but not that significant in the scheme of things as far as I'm concerned. Surely going back to CE is a positive thing from your point of view?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Will still never forgive the FT for describing him in Lunch with the FT as the “brains behind Brexit”

No wonder it's not turned out as we were promised. The more you look at the cast list who had a hand in it, the more you realise why it was doomed. Even if you'd had the most able and agile politicians, it would have been hard to get something positive out of cutting trade ties with the massive market on our doorstep, but when the 'brains' behind it and its implementation were the likes of Johnson, Frost, Hannan and David Davis, it's no wonder the 'easiest deal in human history' didn't quite go to plan.

I have said it before and I will say it again.

Only a moron would think there was not a heavy economic price to pay for Brexit. Therefore Brexit was always going to be implemented by morons.

The most able and agile politicians would have implemented a form of Brexit that looked as much like remaining as possible.

Gove mocked experts because he scoured the world and could not find a credible one to argue in favour of Brexit. When you consider that even Truss and climate change deniers can amass experts to give some cover for their lunatic thoughts it shows how Brexit can only ever lead to relative economic decline.
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,398
    edited August 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

😂😂😂

Not sure but not that significant in the scheme of things as far as I'm concerned. Surely going back to CE is a positive thing from your point of view?
    The issue isn’t a the standard chosen now. It is that the muppets in charge genuinely thought a dual standards scheme was viable and forced industry to waste many man hours and £ complying, having been advised by many experts that a dual scheme was doomed before bowing to the inevitable.

“Poor judgement” is the death knell of many politicians, and with good reason.

• Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

😂😂😂

The issue isn’t a the standard chosen now. It is that the muppets in charge genuinely thought a dual standards scheme was viable and forced industry to waste many man hours and £ complying, having been advised by many experts that a dual scheme was doomed before bowing to the inevitable.

Steveo is just being disingenuous. Of course he knows it was a stupid idea. If the issue doesn’t directly affect him then it’s ’not that significant in the scheme of things’.

In answer to Steveo, we’re not ‘going back to CE’ we would always have to adhere to that because we still export to the EU. We just wasted a wedge in time and testing on UKCA certification which, as I have posted about interminably, was always going to be a failed project. It penalised British companies and not European companies as they were able to just use CE.

It was one of the most stupid policies thought up post Brexit and that’s saying something.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

😂😂😂

He asked me whether I thought it was a Brexit failure. You're making a different point.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

😂😂😂

Steveo is just being disingenuous. Of course he knows it was a stupid idea. If the issue doesn’t directly affect him then it’s ’not that significant in the scheme of things’.

In answer to Steveo, we’re not ‘going back to CE’ we would always have to adhere to that because we still export to the EU. We just wasted a wedge in time and testing on UKCA certification which, as I have posted about interminably, was always going to be a failed project. It penalised British companies and not European companies as they were able to just use CE.

It was one of the most stupid policies thought up post Brexit and that’s saying something.
    You're not a very good mind reader.

I answered your question and if you don't like my answer, too bad. As mentioned, not a big issue for me. And it won't make EU membership come back even if it was.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815
    edited August 2023
    It's an example of a pure loss from brexit. We've become a rule taker.

It being inevitable is also true.
  • rick_chasey

As ever there was a lot of delusional thinking about the realpolitik of the EU
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,177

As ever there was a lot of delusional thinking about the realpolitik of the EU
    given the ever growing power/influence of brics (though it's only ric that really count) it was an act of particular idiocy to split from the eu

the usa doesn't care much about the uk, it'll care even less if the increasingly batshit republicans gain control

the eu has it's own problems, but it's big/diverse enough to be almost self-sufficient, there'll be no favours to outsiders

as for the commonwealth, never more than a desperate attempt to perpetuate a fantasy of empire, they don't care either

brexit was the fever dream of reactionary old fogeys, cheered on by enemies of the uk and enabled by bountiful foreign backing

the 'west' is no longer dominant, the world has moved on, the uk has been diminished, it'll carry on, but with reduced opportunity and declining relevance
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rick_chasey
    Irony of course is the steadfast belief in superior British governance has taken an absolute battering largely as a result of Brexit.
  • Stevo_666

Irony of course is the steadfast belief in superior British governance has taken an absolute battering largely as a result of Brexit.

You should read that book that I linked to above - wonderful bit of confirmation bias.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

You should read that book that I linked to above - wonderful bit of confirmation bias.
    You genuinely think governance had been good since Brexit?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

😂😂😂

He asked me whether I thought it was a Brexit failure. You're making a different point.
    Fair point. The sad saga of the standards regime is a failure of the Brexiteers. Thankfully in this case, real world practicalities prevented the Brexiteers from doing too much harm with their stupidity.

But for the avoidance of doubt, there is nothing good about this in terms of Brexit / Brexiteer credibility.