Stevo_666 said:

With all due respect Stevo, it’s an absolute sh!thole

Can't disagree with you Rick.

Have you visited? (And if so, why??)
    Know some people there.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,018
    I hear a theme tune starting... ;)
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765

Stevo_666 said:

Know some people there.
    Ah OK. Whereabouts in Redcar, if you don't mind me asking?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Know some people there.
    Near the Turner’s Mill pub if you know that.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Know some people there.
    Near the Turner’s Mill pub if you know that.
    I do indeed - small world. My folks' house was on Warwick Road, just on the far side of the secondary school from there. Turners Mill is probably the closest pub to where I used to live. That's the posh end of town...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,677
    There is only one word for people like this: stupid.

Actually, there are quite a few more, but I've chosen the polite one. How the fvck did he think Brexit would make this easier than being in the EU?

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/made-huge-mistake-brexit-voting-briton-visa-italian-home-2529765

A 35-year-old Briton who voted for Brexit says he made “a huge mistake” and is now paying the price after failing to obtain a long-term visa that would allow him to live in his new Italian home.

Ben, a graphic designer from Bristol whose real name i has agreed to withhold, bought a four-bedroom cottage near Lake Turano, near Rome, for €50,000 (£43,000), two years ago.

But despite spending €60,000 (£52,000) on renovations and turning half the property into a bed and breakfast, he has failed to reach the minimum annual income to get the long-term elective residency visa (ERV).

“I was so wrong, and my application was rejected. I felt like dying, all my dreams were shattered,” he told i.

“I voted for Brexit because I thought it was actually going to make it easier for me to buy a home and live in the Med, so many American friends of mine have one and they’re non-European.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605
    I voted for Brexit because I thought it was actually going to make it easier for me to buy a home and live in the Med

Would love to understand that logic.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    pangolin said:

I voted for Brexit because I thought it was actually going to make it easier for me to buy a home and live in the Med

It was really difficult back when you could just choose to do it with no visa requirements. Needed fixing so you could live there with a blue passport.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,677
    pangolin said:

Even when I bought my place (2013) when Brexit seemed just to be Farage's wet dream, I was aware that things could change, even when in the EU... property tax regs etc to make it a less welcoming place for 'furriners'... I'm sure that the French could have dreamt up dastardly ways to do stuff 'within the regulations' (not that they appeared to want to).

Would I buy the place now? Probably not, with all the uncertainty and the loss of rights. But I'm still glad I did. But as for doing it post Brexit and expecting to run a business out of it? The bloke must be very dim indeed.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,177
    edited August 2023

There is only one word for people like this: stupid.

Actually, there are quite a few more, but I've chosen the polite one. How the fvck did he think Brexit would make this easier than being in the EU?

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/made-huge-mistake-brexit-voting-briton-visa-italian-home-2529765

A 35-year-old Briton who voted for Brexit says he made “a huge mistake” and is now paying the price after failing to obtain a long-term visa that would allow him to live in his new Italian home.

Ben, a graphic designer from Bristol whose real name i has agreed to withhold, bought a four-bedroom cottage near Lake Turano, near Rome, for €50,000 (£43,000), two years ago.

But despite spending €60,000 (£52,000) on renovations and turning half the property into a bed and breakfast, he has failed to reach the minimum annual income to get the long-term elective residency visa (ERV).

“I was so wrong, and my application was rejected. I felt like dying, all my dreams were shattered,” he told i.

“I voted for Brexit because I thought it was actually going to make it easier for me to buy a home and live in the Med, so many American friends of mine have one and they’re non-European.
    brexiters never stop whining, it's always someone else's fault, never their own

relevant private eye front page...

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    pangolin said:

There was this Messi guy, Argentinean, no issues at all living in Barcelona for a few years before getting his Spanish passport. Why would it be any different for me?
  • pblakeney
    drhaggis said:

pangolin said:

There was this Messi guy, Argentinean, no issues at all living in Barcelona for a few years before getting his Spanish passport. Why would it be any different for me?
    €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    edited August 2023
    I should have added the sarcasm tag....
  • pblakeney
    drhaggis said:

I should have added the sarcasm tag....

Ahhhh.
    True though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    Lotta money to spend on property for someone who doesn’t qualify for earning enough for a visa.
  • pblakeney

Lotta money to spend on property for someone who doesn’t qualify for earning enough for a visa.

A simple result of investing fully in property. Paper rich, cash poor.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Thousands of people had moved from the UK to Europe before then and he only discussed it with Americans? As for '..felt like dying' what a drama queen.
  • Stevo_666
    It does seem like the biggest Brexit drama queens are those who own properties in Europe ;)
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

It does seem like the biggest Brexit drama queens are those who own properties in Europe ;)

Who knew Brexit made Brits who lead international lives that involved other EU countries more difficult.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Who knew Brexit made Brits who lead international lives that involved other EU countries more difficult.
    Blimey, that's a new one. We're in the same bucket as the rest of the world now. C'est la vie, as we say in the UK.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,177
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Blimey, that's a new one. We're in the same bucket as the rest of the world now. C'est la vie, as we say in the UK.
    how's it a "new one"?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

how's it a "new one"?
    I was being sarcastic.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Well, not in the same bucket as EU countries, obviously.

I appreciate your life is pretty UK centric but for those of us who have international families and lives, implicitly built on that free movement, it is a genuine shock and problem.

To be glib about it, and to argue "well it's now the same for you as it is for those who have families outside of the EU" really misses the point.

Those of us with multiple citizenships are not, despite what May will say, citizens of nowhere. We still live our lives and for a large portion of them it's been made substantially harder.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,412
    Presumably you have a dutch passport Rick so there's no issue.
    Presumably your daughter is also entitled to one and your wife potentially could get one through your marriage.

I'd argue it is considerably easier for those of use with multiple citizenships than for those with a single citizenship.

Sure it's not as easy as pre-Brexit as you now actually need a passport from one of the other countries in addition to the British one.

And how many UK residents actually spend more than 90 days in 180 in the EU?
  • Stevo_666
    edited August 2023

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I appreciate your life is pretty UK centric but for those of us who have international families and lives, implicitly built on that free movement, it is a genuine shock and problem.

To be glib about it, and to argue "well it's now the same for you as it is for those who have families outside of the EU" really misses the point.

Those of us with multiple citizenships are not, despite what May will say, citizens of nowhere. We still live our lives and for a large portion of them it's been made substantially harder.

There's a GE coming up in just over a year, so the best thing to do is vote for a party that makes rejoining the EU a manifesto promise and has a more than a snowball's chance in Hell of winning.

Oh hang on...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

There's a GE coming up in just over a year, so the best thing to do is vote for a party that makes rejoining the EU a manifesto promise and has a more than a snowball in Hells chance of winning. Oh hang on...
    What you're actually saying without realising it is that those who want to rejoin should keep banging on about it incessantly for years and years because that way some party might decide to put in a manifesto that it would be an option.
  • rick_chasey

Presumably you have a dutch passport Rick so there's no issue.
    Presumably your daughter is also entitled to one and your wife potentially could get one through your marriage.

I'd argue it is considerably easier for those of use with multiple citizenships than for those with a single citizenship.

Sure it's not as easy as pre-Brexit as you now actually need a passport from one of the other countries in addition to the British one.

And how many UK residents actually spend more than 90 days in 180 in the EU?

Wife can't have one unless she lives there for 10 years. UK isn't the only country with an anti-immigration bent.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

There's a GE coming up in just over a year, so the best thing to do is vote for a party that makes rejoining the EU a manifesto promise and has a more than a snowball in Hells chance of winning. Oh hang on...
    What you're actually saying without realising it is that those who want to rejoin should keep banging on about it incessantly for years and years because that way some party might decide to put in a manifesto that it would be an option.
    Even if I was, why would I care?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Someone using your account keeps telling people to shut up about Brexit.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Someone using your account keeps telling people to shut up about Brexit.
    It's for their own good - hate to see people wasting their efforts. In any event, I'm sure that if it's such a great idea then surely people will be falling over themselves to vote for any party that has it in their manifesto?