BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145

rjsterry said:

It’s beyond parody now.

And the cherry on the top is that UK based certifying bodies are no longer recognised by the EU, so UK companies now need to go to an EU certifying body to get their CE mark.
    I’ve given up paying attention now as it would drive you to distraction and drink.

If you look back over this discussion and see my thoughts on UKCA, I can only laugh at the whole thing.

Our governance is of such a p1ss poor level I’m coming round to Surrey Commuters POV.
    I've since found out that CE marking isn't being accepted on construction products (for now) so we still need to keep up the pretence for a few more weeks.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

It’s beyond parody now.

And the cherry on the top is that UK based certifying bodies are no longer recognised by the EU, so UK companies now need to go to an EU certifying body to get their CE mark.
    I’ve given up paying attention now as it would drive you to distraction and drink.

If you look back over this discussion and see my thoughts on UKCA, I can only laugh at the whole thing.

Our governance is of such a p1ss poor level I’m coming round to Surrey Commuters POV.
    I've since found out that CE marking isn't being accepted on construction products (for now) so we still need to keep up the pretence for a few more weeks.
    Ah, I’ll get a bit more value out of the money I had to spend on UKCA then.
  • ddraver said:
    So we’re basically just punishing exporters at this point then.

Part of me wants us to go full Truss, go no deal, stop all immigration and survive on turnips.

When are we becoming Singapore on Thames?

Is the failure of Brexit still civil servants and the Remoaner blobs fault?
  • Is the failure of Brexit still civil servants and the Remoaner blobs fault?

Per Allister Heath's latest trip down Insanity Lane in the Torygraph today, the "Enemy du Jour" is now the "elite dictatorship".

It is amazing how many different ways Al and ilk can find to rebrand what is simply incompetent government.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Per Allister Heath's latest trip down Insanity Lane in the Torygraph today, the "Enemy du Jour" is now the "elite dictatorship".

It is amazing how many different ways Al and ilk can find to rebrand what is simply incompetent government.

*Limbers up to get back on his new hobby horse*
  • rjsterry

*Limbers up to get back on his new hobby horse*
    You'll put your back out one of these days.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ddraver said:

Part of me wants us to go full Truss, go no deal, stop all immigration and survive on turnips.

I am sure it is Brussels who are punishing our plucky exporters.

In many ways it would make perfect sense to have no tariffs or non-tariff barriers to imports but then you would have no leverage to get better export deals.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,591
    The UK was always pretty relaxed about imports which was a point of contention with the EU.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815
    "So we agree that we can't have food border checks because of inflation, which is nobody's fault, not even the French. But we must have the right to have food border checks."
  • rick_chasey

The UK was always pretty relaxed about imports which was a point of contention with the EU.

They were about imported labour, and you can't get one without the other....again and again the brits fail to understand this basic premise of the EU.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    I wonder how much of EU inflation is caused by the checks that the EU imposes on its imports from the rest of the world?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

I wonder how much of EU inflation is caused by the checks that the EU imposes on its imports from the rest of the world?

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/economic-bulletin/articles/2019/html/ecb.ebart201903_01~e589a502e5.en.html

The ECB has you covered, my friend.

and here https://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/key/date/2018/html/ecb.sp180406.en.html
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

I'm no expert, but I'd guess approximately 0% unless they changed them in the last year.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/economic-bulletin/articles/2019/html/ecb.ebart201903_01~e589a502e5.en.html

The ECB has you covered, my friend.

and here https://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/key/date/2018/html/ecb.sp180406.en.html
    Can you point me to the relevant bits? - that first report in particular is very long.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

I'm no expert, but I'd guess approximately 0% unless they changed them in the last year.
    Me neither, but think of it as an opportunity cost.
  • rjsterry
    edited August 2023

"So we agree that we can't have food border checks because of inflation, which is nobody's fault, not even the French. But we must have the right to have food border checks."

You're not the only one to spot the parallel. Ironic that Cleese has turned out to be such a supporter.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Speaking of opportunity cost, how much did British business waste on the parallel UKCA?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Speaking of opportunity cost, how much did British business waste on the parallel UKCA?
    Why don't you point me to or quote the relevant bits in those long reports that you linked first?
  • ddraver said:

In many ways it would make perfect sense to have no tariffs or non-tariff barriers to imports but then you would have no leverage to get better export deals.
    Yep. If we just wave everything through then there is no incentive for countries to do trade deals.

What I find astonishing is the Tory Brexiteers who are still moaning that all we have is BINO while being in charge and negotiating the ‘deal’.

Will anyone argue that Brexit is anything other than a failed project and busted flush? I’m with Steveo now. It’s done and dusted and been proven to be a big pile of shite.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Funny that the only checks the UK are implementing are on intra UK trade across the Irish Sea.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Dowden blaming a tight labour market for the UKs particular inflation problem. Funny stuff.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Funny that the only checks the UK are implementing are on intra UK trade across the Irish Sea.

I shouldn’t laugh as it has serious implications in NI. Those who negotiated the ‘deal’ have done more to break up the UK than anyone. They are traitors.
  • kingstongraham
    Why are the EU punishing us like this?
  • ddraver said:

Yep. If we just wave everything through then there is no incentive for countries to do trade deals.

What I find astonishing is the Tory Brexiteers who are still moaning that all we have is BINO while being in charge and negotiating the ‘deal’.

Will anyone argue that Brexit is anything other than a failed project and busted flush? I’m with Steveo now. It’s done and dusted and been proven to be a big pile of shite.
    I think you (or I) have seriously misunderstood SteveO position on Brexit.

I think he is the only person in the world who thinks it has been a success and we are moving serenely to the sunlit land of milk and honey.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,018
    edited August 2023

ddraver said:

I think you (or I) have seriously misunderstood SteveO position on Brexit.

I think he is the only person in the world who thinks it has been a success and we are moving serenely to the sunlit land of milk and honey.
    Nah. He's just backing the winning team while winding up "lefties".
    He voted against Brexit.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Why are the EU punishing us like this?

What???? This was one of the inevitable results of Brexit. The Brexit idiots told us that the UK could stand on its own with its own standards. i.e. "take back control". Either they were being deliberately misleading or simply did not bother to think things through properly. I suspect the latter given their dire performance at implementing what we supposedly voted for.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    I think KG needed the sarcasm font there.
  • Oops, red mist descended. I have wasted many hours of my time, and although the money hasn't come out of my pocket it still hurts.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,677

Oops, red mist descended. I have wasted many hours of my time, and although the money hasn't come out of my pocket it still hurts.

KG is sometimes rather pithy when he's taking the pith.