BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

pblakeney said:

Stick to your turnips and swede in winter if you want.

...and potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and.....
    Yes thanks.
    Honestly, fill you boots.

There's a reason local British cuisine is not internationally recognised.
    Which international fruit and veg do people get excited by?
    Mediterranean fruit and veg is obviously sought after.

Not ever been tempted to buy the £2 Sicilian lemons at farmers markets or Marzona tomatoes?
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 673
    Shirley you'd have to be in Sicily to buy a Sicilian lemon at a farmers market? Or are Sicilian farmers coming over here touting their overpriced citrus fruit?

I must admit my own experience of farmers markets is restricted to a musical Armstrong and Miller sketch...
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,678

pblakeney said:

Yes thanks.

Not globe artichokes. Just why?
  • briantrumpet

pblakeney said:

Yes thanks.

Not ever been tempted to buy the £2 Sicilian lemons at farmers markets or Marzona tomatoes?

I hate to tell you this, but it;s seasonal there as well. It's mostly back to various root crops and courges in various shapes and colours through the winter. I've been told off for buying tomatoes out of season there. Not least as they taste as rubbish as they do here, on the whole.

That said, the wait makes the summer doubly special.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,038
    pangolin said:

People love avocados

That's just reminded me, got one in the fridge for first time in years, hated them as a youngster but guacamole has become acceptable in recent years as an addition to fajitas.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2023

pblakeney said:

Yes thanks.

I hate to tell you this, but it;s seasonal there as well. It's mostly back to various root crops and courges in various shapes and colours through the winter. I've been told off for buying tomatoes out of season there. Not least as they taste as rubbish as they do here, on the whole.

That said, the wait makes the summer doubly special.
    No way.

They have seasons in Italy? Who knew Vivaldi was such a visionary Italian, eh?
  • Munsford0
    Didn't he name his music after the pizza of the same name?
  • rick_chasey
    Munsford0 said:

Didn't he name his music after the pizza of the same name?

Thaat's it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

Yes thanks.

People love avocados
    Only if they are smashed, it's like pork is only edible when pulled these days.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

On a note of seriousness. We are starting to see the effects this year from a manufacturing perspective. A number of our bigger customers are reigning in production or seeing their distribution/supply chains shrink quite dramatically.

I can only see this getting worse as new supply chains are formed or existing ones renewed, UK companies will no longer feature in the conversation.

Trade deals with other countries are small beans, unless you replace what you have lost with something of equal size then it's like trying to fill a trench with a trowel. Can't really see us entering into a trade deal with the US or China any time soon ;)

I never did much care for the Brexiter ideological arguments anyway, but we are far beyond some sentimental notions of 'sovereignty' now. This is the basic fact of people's jobs, livelihoods being at risk and our wider economic prospects as a country being damaged for years to come. We have essentially imposed economic sanctions on ourselves and there is still some weird collective desire not to admit to this.

The idea that you can have strength in isolation as you have complete 'autonomy' is ludicrous. Now, more than ever, a country's standing in the world is entirely relational, you only have strength through your relationships with other countries (or blocs) of equal financial, political and cultural power. This is something that Brexiteers fundamentally do not seem to understand (or care about, perhaps?)

A very interesting post. To me a lot of economics is commonsense such as your post above or a supply and demand curve.

Brexit really did show how little people understand about economics.

I think that the answer to your final question is that they do not care enough to understand
  • A very interesting post. To me a lot of economics is commonsense such as your post above or a supply and demand curve.

Brexit really did show how little people understand about economics.

I think that the answer to your final question is that they do not care enough to understand

Very much agree, there is a tendency to overcomplicate economics, when much of it is quite straightforward, as you say.

I think you are right with your answer to the last point.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145

pblakeney said:

Yes thanks.

Lol. Impressed by the entrepreneurial spirit of the market trader.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    George Eustice Tory Brexiteer said this w/end we need to renegotiate to allow those foreign workers we didn't want to be allowed back in
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,767
    amrushton said:

George Eustice Tory Brexiteer said this w/end we need to renegotiate to allow those foreign workers we didn't want to be allowed back in

Worth pointing out that Italy is giving out 425,000 work permits to non-EU citizens to address labour shortages.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/07/08/italy-grants-work-permits-425k-non-eu-migrant-workers/

Isn't being an EU member meant to prevent this sort of thing?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    amrushton said:

Luckily, whichever party wins the next election will be able to do just that, if required.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,594
    Isn't it just an extension of the arrangement the UK has with lots of other countries? e.g. Australia, Canada, Monaco, San Marino, Iceland, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan.

In any case, I think the EU won't allow the bilateral agreements (unity before all else).
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

amrushton said:

Worth pointing out that Italy is giving out 425,000 work permits to non-EU citizens to address labour shortages.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/07/08/italy-grants-work-permits-425k-non-eu-migrant-workers/

Maybe Eustace is just indicating that after all he'd prefer 'people that look like us' rather than non-EU citizens, though I agree that EU free movement wouldn't solve all the problems of the situation we find ourselves now. But it would make it better.
  • George Eustice Tory Brexiteer said this w/end we need to renegotiate to allow those foreign workers we didn't want to be allowed back in

Not only that, he blamed the lack of workers not on Brexit, but on failed Brexit policy as implemented by 'remainers' under Theresa May's government. He also tried to insist that getting rid of EU workers was never something that leavers wanted. Disingenuous little ****
  • briantrumpet

Not only that, he blamed the lack of workers not on Brexit, but on failed Brexit policy as implemented by 'remainers' under Theresa May's government. He also tried to insist that getting rid of EU workers was never something that leavers wanted. Disingenuous little ****

He's just following the standard policy of blaming everyone else for the Tories' and Brexit's failures. Don't expect any logic or honesty.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Stevo_666 said:

amrushton said:

Maybe Eustace is just indicating that after all he'd prefer 'people that look like us' rather than non-EU citizens, though I agree that EU free movement wouldn't solve all the problems of the situation we find ourselves now. But it would make it better.
    You think that because you intrinsically think that the market is better at allocating resources than some faceless civil servant.

If we consider the much trailed policy of the Govt deciding where we should investing our pension funds it should be noted that the pensions industry was “concerned” to discover that there was widespread ignorance in Westminster in the difference between funds held in DB and DC.
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

amrushton said:

I guess there's more of a language issue in Italy and suspect that language education in many of the countries focuses more on English, French and German. One of the reason we got so many EU migrants when it expanded into Eastern Europe was that a large number in those countries spoke English to a reasonable level.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

amrushton said:

I guess there's more of a language issue in Italy and suspect that language education in many of the countries focuses more on English, French and German. One of the reason we got so many EU migrants when it expanded into Eastern Europe was that a large number in those countries spoke English to a reasonable level.

My one experience of being in Italy was that neither English nor French were much use. You really needed to speak Italian. The only words I've got are things like 'allegro', 'diminuendo' and 'concerto', which don't help much when you want to order a meal without just guessing and pointing, or to get directions to Montefiascone.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    True, but if you grow up singing songs in Latin you have a weird ability to work out what they mean...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

amrushton said:

My one experience of being in Italy was that neither English nor French were much use. You really needed to speak Italian. The only words I've got are things like 'allegro', 'diminuendo' and 'concerto', which don't help much when you want to order a meal without just guessing and pointing, or to get directions to Montefiascone.
    True, but a recent trip to German only Germany had us discovering pot luck menu choices were better than the ones we could guess at. 😂
    Variety is the spice of life. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    Pot luck menus in Germany usually means you're gonna be eating pork, no?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021

Pot luck menus in Germany usually means you're gonna be eating pork, no?

Chicken in a creamy tarragon sauce was the pick of the bunch.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    Sounds positively British.
  • Munsford0
    Saddle of hare was the best thing I ever had in Germany.
  • Pross
    I had a fantastic meal on a works Christmas do in Munich, the chestnut soup is still the best thing I've ever eaten.