BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021

Sounds positively British.

Maybe but if you don't have a clue what it is at the point of ordering then it could have been anything. Who knows, maybe the Germans like stuff that we do? Quelle surprise!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Oh no doubt.

My experience on Germany is they might as well be asking me "have you eaten pork today, yet?".
  • pblakeney

Oh no doubt.

My experience on Germany is they might as well be asking me "have you eaten pork today, yet?".

I tried a local Bratwurst once. It was the only pork dish that I had.
    Different people with different experiences and opinions.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2023
    pblakeney said:

Oh no doubt.

I tried a local Bratwurst once. It was the only pork dish that I had.
    Different people with different experiences and opinions.
    (I should confess, it is also a joke with my sister as when she lived there the butcher down the road was called, to translate "have you eaten pork today, yet?" and indeed, she would ring me and complain about the vast amount of pork everyone seemed to eat).

AFAIK Britain is one of the few European countries where pork isn't the most consumed meat. (It's chicken).
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 673
    Mmmm! Bratwurst!
  • rick_chasey

Rather worrying development in Holland.

She was supposed to be very good by all accounts.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    🤣🤣🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 826
    Didn't want to click on the link: did it involve Kate opening an onlyfans account?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815

Didn't want to click on the link: did it involve Kate opening an onlyfans account?

Spoiker: it's not a £12 trillion trade boost.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,767

Is that like a spoiler?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815
    Stevo_666 said:

Is that like a spoiler?
    It's more like a spolier.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,594
    Customs processing has become quite slick. From the Times.

https://archive.is/V9O9K
  • Stevo_666

Customs processing has become quite slick. From the Times.

https://archive.is/V9O9K

As I've said before, it's business as usual on the cross border logistics front.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    Not in my experience. Although improved it is still taking twice as long and at a much more expensive rate. It’s stabilised and is better then it was but to say it’s as efficient as pre Brexit is utter, utter nonsense.

• skyblueamateur
    We, as companies, are streamlining the paperwork and red tape as best we can. Pragmatism always wins out.

It is still at a huge cost and time to business’. A massively disingenuous article.

In summary ‘it’s not as shit as it was’.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

We, as companies, are streamlining the paperwork and red tape as best we can. Pragmatism always wins out.

It is still at a huge cost and time to business’. A massively disingenuous article.

In summary ‘it’s not as censored as it was’.

I do like your posts from the front line.

Economic theory says that the free market finds the most efficient way of doing business and that Govt interference makes it less so.

The people who argue that a worse trade deal makes no difference are the same people who argue the opposite about other improved trade deals.
  • skyblueamateur

Economic theory says that the free market finds the most efficient way of doing business and that Govt interference makes it less so.

The people who argue that a worse trade deal makes no difference are the same people who argue the opposite about other improved trade deals.
    Thank you.

I have nothing against the trade deals being done but for most SME’s they are never going to be a substitute for being in the single market.

Pre-Brexit I could send a parcel to the continent for £5.95, that is now £25 plus customs clearance charges and duty. That would be £75-£100 to send to Australia.

With an average order value of between £150-£300 you can see why trade deals with countries on the other side of the world are of no use to companies like mine.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Thank you.

I have nothing against the trade deals being done but for most SME’s they are never going to be a substitute for being in the single market.

Pre-Brexit I could send a parcel to the continent for £5.95, that is now £25 plus customs clearance charges and duty. That would be £75-£100 to send to Australia.

With an average order value of between £150-£300 you can see why trade deals with countries on the other side of the world are of no use to companies like mine.
    Presumably what goes in the parcel is influenced by making the admin as simple as possible?
  • skyblueamateur
    Yes and no I suppose. We have quite a wide product range. Unfortunately you pay charges on how many commodity codes you send. Can get expensive.

It’s just a massive ball-ache to be honest. We were starting to gain a foothold on the continent and were expanding nicely. The majority of that has been lost now apart from the larger distributors.

Without setting up a branch on the continent there is no way around this.

I would imagine there are a lot of businesses in a similar situation.

The frustration is that articles like the above only really focus on multinational businesses who have the capital and ability to open branches. SME’s are always an after thought.
  • Stevo_666

Not in my experience. Although improved it is still taking twice as long and at a much more expensive rate. It’s stabilised and is better then it was but to say it’s as efficient as pre Brexit is utter, utter nonsense.

Whereas it is in my experience, hence the comment.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited July 2023
    Something not right about that article

It often quoted figure for the NI Protocol is £500 million a year.
    But we've fixed GB EU trade for £111 million

Something doesn't stack up
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • skyblueamateur
    Stevo_666 said:

Yeah man. Different levels of business. Always find your experiences interesting 👍
  • Stevo_666
    edited July 2023

Stevo_666 said:

Yeah man. Different levels of business. Always find your experiences interesting 👍
    Maybe it's down to scale of operation. We also did a lot of prep work and I was in the thick of managing that.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538

Yes and no I suppose. We have quite a wide product range. Unfortunately you pay charges on how many commodity codes you send. Can get expensive.

It’s just a massive ball-ache to be honest. We were starting to gain a foothold on the continent and were expanding nicely. The majority of that has been lost now apart from the larger distributors.

Without setting up a branch on the continent there is no way around this.

I would imagine there are a lot of businesses in a similar situation.

The frustration is that articles like the above only really focus on multinational businesses who have the capital and ability to open branches. SME’s are always an after thought.

I think it's interesting that some of the Brexit support was linked to general anti globalisation feeling, when by and large the impact of Brexit is much more manageable for multinationals compared to SMEs.
  • skyblueamateur
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Maybe it's down to scale of operation. We also did a lot of prep work and I was in the thick of managing that.
    We did a huge amount of prep work and have the process as streamlined as possible. It’s the increased costs that can’t be mitigated.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145
    edited July 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Most businesses aren't multinationals. It's not surprising that your firm has seen less impact as you were already trading across multiple markets. Scale is also obviously an advantage - I think you said you had a team on it for a few months. For an SME there just aren't the resources to do that.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,891
    I think the 111 million was spent just on upgrades to the eurotunnel port.

Something not right about that article

It often quoted figure for the NI Protocol is £500 million a year.
    But we've fixed GB EU trade for £111 million

Something doesn't stack up