BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

Here's the detail: https://policy.trade.ec.europa.eu/eu-trade-relationships-country-and-region/countries-and-regions/new-zealand/eu-new-zealand-agreement/agreement-explained_en

It's more than about food, but here are the food details:

EU stringent food safety rules will not change

The agreement does not affect or undermine EU food safety and animal and plant health legislation because health standards are not negotiable.
    The EU keeps its strict approach on health protection for any food safety matter, including genetically modified organisms (GMO).
    The EU maintains its right to set maximum levels of residues for pesticides, veterinary medicines or contaminants.
    The EU remains free to regulate food safety

The EU remains fully independent in deciding safety criteria for products that reach its market.
    The agreement reaffirms the EU’s right to regulate food safety in the interest of EU citizens' health.
    The agreement reaffirms the 'precautionary principle', allowing the EU to take measures to protect the health of EU citizens when the scientific evidence on whether imported food is safe or not is inconclusive.
    All imported food must comply with the EU’s standards

EU rules apply to all products sold in the EU, whether produced domestically or imported.
    A robust system of checks allows the EU to make sure that its rules are respected.
    What's the estimated benefit to the EU economy of this fantastic trade deal? (Every little helps, I suppose).
    Probably about the same as Thick Lizzy's new Beijing pork markets?
    But this deal was done by the EU, so it must be amazing.
    Literally no-one said that. The only point made was that the EU got more / gave fewer concessions in their agreement than the UK did.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,679
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

Here's the detail: https://policy.trade.ec.europa.eu/eu-trade-relationships-country-and-region/countries-and-regions/new-zealand/eu-new-zealand-agreement/agreement-explained_en

The agreement does not affect or undermine EU food safety and animal and plant health legislation because health standards are not negotiable.
    The EU keeps its strict approach on health protection for any food safety matter, including genetically modified organisms (GMO).
    The EU maintains its right to set maximum levels of residues for pesticides, veterinary medicines or contaminants.

The EU remains fully independent in deciding safety criteria for products that reach its market.
    The agreement reaffirms the EU’s right to regulate food safety in the interest of EU citizens' health.
    The agreement reaffirms the 'precautionary principle', allowing the EU to take measures to protect the health of EU citizens when the scientific evidence on whether imported food is safe or not is inconclusive.

EU rules apply to all products sold in the EU, whether produced domestically or imported.
    A robust system of checks allows the EU to make sure that its rules are respected.
    What's the estimated benefit to the EU economy of this fantastic trade deal? (Every little helps, I suppose).
    Literally no-one said that. The only point made was that the EU got more / gave fewer concessions in their agreement than the UK did.

Exactly so.

No reason not to do a trade deal, even if it's not going to make a massive difference, and if both parties are happy with it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

It's almost like when you're in a large trading bloc with skilled negotiators that you get good trade deals with third countries.

My mind is boggled at what products NZ might export halfway around the world to flood the EU.

Th only one that springs to mind is lamb but that I don't see how preventing that flood protects the EU consumer.
    They import quite a few apples IIRC. And milk, cheese, butter and milk products are also pretty high on their export list.
    but enough to flood the EU?
    My local greengrocer already stocks quite a lot of NZ produce, so sure, why not.
    A Brexit positive?
    *shrugs* Not a big fan of NZ apples vs UK tbf. Too big and watery. Can literally get cheaper British apples in the co-op next door.
    a good greengrocer will be at the wholesale market before dawn and will taste before he buys so ensuring the best produce for his customers.

you need to find a new greengrocer
    Tbh the coop is as good and I mainly use the greengrocer specifically for radicchio.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,594
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

They just signed a less free free trade agreement and some people got excited about the achievement.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,767
    edited June 2023

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

Was this you, talking about the 0.8%-over-ten-years CTPPPTTPPP trade deal a few weeks ago?

Tbh when I posted news of a major needs trade deal I had hoped for a bit more than the usual 'but its not the EU' (irrelevant as where we are now its not a one or the other choice); and 'but it's the nasty Torwies' (which seems to be more about people taking out their frustrations in life on the ruling party rather than being relevant to the point).

How is that relevant to the superb economic benefits that this trade deal will bring to the EU? (which I'm sure you'll be posting the forecasts for anytime now) :smile:

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

Brian seemed rather enthusiastic about it.

Got any forecast benefits? Brian seems to have a few problems finding them.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

Was this you, talking about the 0.8%-over-ten-years CTPPPTTPPP trade deal a few weeks ago?

Tbh when I posted news of a major needs trade deal I had hoped for a bit more than the usual 'but its not the EU' (irrelevant as where we are now its not a one or the other choice); and 'but it's the nasty Torwies' (which seems to be more about people taking out their frustrations in life on the ruling party rather than being relevant to the point).

How is that relevant to the superb economic benefits that this trade deal will bring to the EU? (which I'm sure you'll be posting the forecasts for anytime now) :smile:

You seemed to be trumpeting a very marginal deal (on the government's own forecasts - see previous posts ad nauseam) as a 'major' deal, which I'm not aware I did in relation to the EU deal. Quote me where I said there were superb economic benefits, and I'll get back to you.

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

You seemed to be trumpeting a very marginal deal (on the government's own forecasts - see previous posts ad nauseam) as a 'major' deal, which I'm not aware I did in relation to the EU deal. Quote me where I said there were superb economic benefits, and I'll get back to you.

Since you said it was a good deal I'd naively assumed there were good economic benefits. Otherwise why did you post something about it?

• briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

Since you said it was a good deal I'd naively assumed there were good economic benefits. Otherwise why did you post something about it?

At least you've scaled back your "amazing" to "good" now. It seems to be a 'good' deal in that both sides are happy with it, and there's an economic advantage to it for both sides. And the EU did it without undermining its own farming industry for the sake of a quick headline.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think the key difference is that for the EU, any new trade deal can be looked at in terms of its benefits on a standalone basis as nothing the has been given up to enable such a deal to be signed. Therefore even even +0.1% is good. But for the U.K. all whizzy new trade deals have to be viewed against what was given up to be able to secure them.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

At least you've scaled back your "amazing" to "good" now. It seems to be a 'good' deal in that both sides are happy with it, and there's an economic advantage to it for both sides. And the EU did it without undermining its own farming industry for the sake of a quick headline.
    Good diversion attempt. What about the stats and forecasts?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think the key difference is that for the EU, any new trade deal can be looked at in terms of its benefits on a standalone basis as nothing the has been given up to enable such a deal to be signed. Therefore even even +0.1% is good. But for the U.K. all whizzy new trade deals have to be viewed against what was given up to be able to secure them.
    What's in the past is in the past so each UK trade deal can still be viewed on its merits.

This seems to be a classic case of people claiming that any trade deal the UK does is pointless but any trade deal the EU does is great.
  • What is in the past is indeed in the past, but to make that point is to acknowledge that the UK’s new trade deals are p*ssing in the wind compared to leaving the Single Market.
  • Stevo_666

What is in the past is indeed in the past, but to make that point is to acknowledge that the UK’s new trade deals are p*ssing in the wind compared to leaving the Single Market.

You seem to be looking at this as if is a choice to be made a particular point in time between the EU and other trade deals. It isn't as the EU part is already done (and realistically will not be reversed in the foreseeable future): so the only question is whether we press on with the others.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145

It's almost like when you're in a large trading bloc with skilled negotiators that you get good trade deals with third countries.

My mind is boggled at what products NZ might export halfway around the world to flood the EU.

Th only one that springs to mind is lamb but that I don't see how preventing that flood protects the EU consumer.
    They import quite a few apples IIRC. And milk, cheese, butter and milk products are also pretty high on their export list.
    My local greengrocer already stocks quite a lot of NZ produce, so sure, why not.
    A Brexit positive?
    *shrugs* Not a big fan of NZ apples vs UK tbf. Too big and watery. Can literally get cheaper British apples in the co-op next door.
    What's this? A positive view of UK produce?

πŸ˜‰
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

A Brexit positive?

πŸ˜‰
    [Falls off chair] :smiley:
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

A Brexit positive?

πŸ˜‰
    πŸ‘πŸ» ask me about strawberries
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

rjsterry said:

A Brexit positive?

πŸ˜‰
    are you coming round to the boomer idea of buying seasonal produce?
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

A Brexit positive?

πŸ˜‰
    We all buy seasonal produce, largely.

It's just different seasons in different countries, which helps all year-round buying ;-)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021

rjsterry said:

A Brexit positive?

πŸ˜‰

It's just different seasons in different countries, which helps all year-round buying ;-)
    If you think a banana out of Tesco tastes the same as one picked directly from the tree then you are sadly mistaken. Shipping and time takes it's toll on taste.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

A Brexit positive?

πŸ˜‰

If you think a banana out of Tesco tastes the same as one picked directly from the tree then you are sadly mistaken. Shipping and time takes it's toll on taste.
    Difficult for us to pop over to the Caribbean for lunch, though πŸ™„
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

A Brexit positive?

πŸ˜‰

Difficult for us to pop over to the Caribbean for lunch, though πŸ™„
    Point was seasonal includes local.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    Stick to your turnips and swede in winter if you want.
  • pblakeney

...and potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and.....
    Yes thanks.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

Yes thanks.
    Honestly, fill you boots.

There's a reason local British cuisine is not internationally recognised.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Yes thanks.

Meh.
    I've ate as good in this country as anywhere. It doesn't have to be stodge.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,594

pblakeney said:

Yes thanks.

Which international fruit and veg do people get excited by?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

pblakeney said:

Yes thanks.

I eat seasonal as it tastes better but I do like dates, grapes and donut peaches
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605

pblakeney said:

Yes thanks.

People love avocados
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono