Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

To be clear, I was referring to the "stubborn, higher than the rest of the developed world" bit of UK inflation.

You said:
    "UK has an inflation problem.

I dare anyone to come up with a credible case that it isn’t Brexit related."

We answered.

Just surprised that you came up with such an easy dare.
    Pretty clear he meant vs other countries.
    No. He didn't say that. If he meant it I'm sure he would have said it.
    The title on the graph he attached clearly stated it in the heading
    Funny how you're trying to argue this and not Rick.

W&G and I answered the question in front of us.
    I'm as critical as most of Rick's posting style but felt it was pretty obvious the question he was asking related to the graph he'd included in the post.
    Funny how both W&G and I made the same alleged error. Question should have been clearer - simple.
    What error have I made? I find the mere suggestion outrageous! ;)
    I did say 'alleged'. We answered Ricks question as we saw it: a couple of people on here seem to think its important that we should have known it was a different question from the one that Rick actually wrote and answered accordingly.

Hey ho :smile:
    W&G explained why he thought his answer affected UK disproportionately.

You just parroted Truss's "Putin's illegal war" line.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,767
    edited June 2023

So if you consider the question in relation to the chart that was posted, how does the answer change? What are the non-Brexit related reasons for Britain having higher inflation and it not (yet) falling?

(Consider this a brand new question if it stops you arguing that wasn't the question asked that you have already answered.)

Is slightly lower inflation and a recession (such as Germany) better? Should I infer Brexit has resulted in better growth or is Brexit the answer only when the question is negative?
    Joking aside, those at the very ardent end of the opposed to Brexit scale do seemingly "blow with the wind" somewhat. When UK inflation was broadly the same as US and EU inflation, the focus was on (forecast) growth rates where the UK didn't fare so well for 2023. Now UK growth is not obviously worse than EU growth and forecasts for 2023 are less grim for the UK, the focus is on inflation.

And I'm guessing that if UK inflation trends back to being materially the same as EU inflation then attention will turn to passport queues!
    :smiley:

I've said it before that there are those that latch onto the latest issue of the day whatever it may be - for example those catastrophic tomato shortages a couple of months back :smile: The next one will likely depend on what is flavour of the month in the media.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815
    I maintain what I said (and you presumably agreed) - Brexit will mean on the whole, things are a bit worse than they could have been. Everything won't fall apart, but it would be better if we hadn't done it.

Still think that's what we're getting.
  • Brexit will mean on the whole, things are a bit worse than they could have been. Everything won't fall apart, but it would be better if we hadn't done it.

Sad but true.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,594

I maintain what I said (and you presumably agreed) - Brexit will mean on the whole, things are a bit worse than they could have been. Everything won't fall apart, but it would be better if we hadn't done it.

Still think that's what we're getting.

You could extend this opinion and say that is an exchange for a slightly more sovereignty. An exchange you would prefer had not happened.
  • kingstongraham
    Not going to do that argument again.
  • TheBigBean

Fair enough. Wasn't looking for an argument. Thought I was extending your not unreasonable point of view, but clearly you disagree.
  • kingstongraham

Fair enough. Wasn't looking for an argument. Thought I was extending your not unreasonable point of view, but clearly you disagree.
    I'd say it was a demonstration of sovereignty, which I would not regard as worth it.
  • Seems odd that the government hasn't declared today to be a Bank Holiday with lavish celebrations of the Benefits of Brexit.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,212

Seems odd that the government hasn't declared today to be a Bank Holiday with lavish celebrations of the Benefits of Brexit.

Run out of flags to sh4g. Dodgy mates' contracts failed to deliver, covid PPE style.

Meanwhile, GINO priorities innit https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jun/23/london-mayors-office-banned-from-flying-eu-flag-on-referendum-anniversary
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Seems odd that the government hasn't declared today to be a Bank Holiday with lavish celebrations of the Benefits of Brexit.

Run out of flags to sh4g. Dodgy mates' contracts failed to deliver, covid PPE style.

Meanwhile, GINO priorities innit https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jun/23/london-mayors-office-banned-from-flying-eu-flag-on-referendum-anniversary
    I guess they wouldn't want hordes of Cake Stoppers climbing on the mayors office and trying to **** the flag.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145

They'd obviously prefer to pretend it never happened. Didn't put up anyone to speak in favour of their flagship policy on BBCQT.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Well I guess pretending it didn't happen is consistent with there being no benefits.
  • Stevo_666

Well I guess pretending it didn't happen is consistent with there being no benefits.

Or maybe as I've said before, it really isn't that big an issue any more and most of us are just getting on with life and dealing with some of the current big issues.
  • orraloon
    Aye, you're right there Dodger. No point in ever contemplating the 'success' achieved by shiny faced Dave the pig botherer, the Maybot, Spaffer, Thick Lizzy and HiRiskAnus and their gangs. Just carry on as you are chaps.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Aye, you're right there Dodger. No point in ever contemplating the 'success' achieved by shiny faced Dave the pig botherer, the Maybot, Spaffer, Thick Lizzy and HiRiskAnus and their gangs. Just carry on as you are chaps.

Feel free to carry on crying over spilt milk Loon. As mentioned, most people have bigger fish to fry.

Speaking of leaving unions, how's that Scottish independence thing coming along? :)
  • kingstongraham
    We haven't yet implemented the border controls fully. That's currently due to happen this year, so there's more downside to come before it settles in at a new normal.
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,398
    edited June 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Well I guess pretending it didn't happen is consistent with there being no benefits.

Or maybe as I've said before, it really isn't that big an issue any more and most of us are just getting on with life and dealing with some of the current big issues.
    But surely the whole point of Brexit is that it was meant to be a big issue. Why would we have been concerned about holding all the cards etc if it was a non-issue?

Brexit wasn’t something that happened to us, and we’ve muddled through, confounding the pessimists. It was something that we collectively chose to do to ourselves, and so the bar surely has to quite high in terms of assessing it.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

But surely the whole point of Brexit is that it was meant to be a big issue. Why would we have been concerned about holding all the cards etc if it was a non-issue?

Brexit wasn’t something that happened to us, and we’ve muddled through, confounding the pessimists. It was something that we collectively chose to do to ourselves, and so the bar surely has to quite high in terms of assessing it.
    Maybe at the time? Speaking personally, it's no big shakes for me and a lot of people I know are of the same view.
  • kingstongraham
    edited June 2023
    If Rishi really wanted to stop the boats, he'd join Schengen. Discuss.
  • TheBigBean

It would surely be easier to offer a refugee transportation service.
  • kingstongraham

Joining Schengen would improve the experience for everyone who goes on holiday to Europe, so is an easier sell.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021

Apparently not. How many £m has it cost per refugee on the current scheme?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Maybe at the time? Speaking personally, it's no big shakes for me and a lot of people I know are of the same view.
    I was discussing Brexit with Mrs W&G today as it’s the 7th anniversary of the vote. We concluded that politics has changed hugely, and for the worse, but our lives really haven’t changed at all, other than new bike kit being a bit harder to get hold of. The little W&Gs have been stuffed re doing a ski season in Europe but are planning on heading further afield instead.

It’s quite a weird situation tbh. All the fuss and for what? The miserable gits per ref like farage are still miserable.

• If Rishi really wanted to stop the boats, he'd join Schengen. Discuss.

I don’t know if this is intended ironically, but it’s the people arriving by boats they want to stop. Them arriving by other means is not really achieving this!

• orraloon

I don’t know if this is intended ironically, but it’s the people arriving by boats they want to stop. Them arriving by other means is not really achieving this!

Get Failing Grayling back on board, he'll hand out the ferry contracts to firms with no ships, sorted!

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145
    Stevo_666 said:

You do keep assuming your experience is representative.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

so you don't care that you were stripped of your rights?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

so you don't care that you were stripped of your rights?
    I haven't noticed anything. What do you reckon am I meant to care about here?
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

You do keep assuming your experience is representative.
    I think you're making that assumption.