BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,826
    Stevo_666 said:

prominent Brexshiteer Rocco Forte is so disillusioned he is going to move to the EU

https://ukdaily.news/brexit-advocate-sir-rocco-forte-says-hes-packing-his-bags-for-italy-486781.html

The article says he'll move to Italy if Labour win the next election. Thanks for posting that :)
    Yes, it's a total shitshow of an interview. “So now we have a government which is completely against enterprise in any form. You don’t encourage inward investment by raising corporation tax or encourage people to work by freezing the thresholds so they’re paying a higher tax. Rishi’s frozen them for the next six years, so that takes us past the next election. You don’t reduce the threshold to the [additional] rate of tax, which was £150,000 before; the Conservatives reduced it to £125,000. As if people earning £125,000 are rich!”

Also: "There’s a whole Remainer contingency [saying], ‘Oh, we must get back into the European Union’, as if the European Union was a great example of thriving economies. It’s completely the opposite. Europe is in decline. Italy, for example, has had no new growth since it joined the euro. " which he combines with: "I speak Italian, a large part of my business is in Italy and if I was in Italy I’d be able to expand quicker than I could sitting here, so it might be something to do anyway from a business point of view."
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Stevo_666 said:

prominent Brexshiteer Rocco Forte is so disillusioned he is going to move to the EU

https://ukdaily.news/brexit-advocate-sir-rocco-forte-says-hes-packing-his-bags-for-italy-486781.html

The article says he'll move to Italy if Labour win the next election. Thanks for posting that :)
    Will you never learn to read the article and not just the sub-headings?

He sees a Labour Govt as the final straw, the heavy lifting was done by a flip flopping anti-business Tory Party.

And don’t forget that in my eyes you are mr leftiebollox as bizarrely the tvvat is echoing my own opinion.

Other than campaigning to get out of the EU then leaving the sunlit uplands to get back in it
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,776

Stevo_666 said:

You of all people should know about Italy’s rather generous tax break for new immigrants who earn over a certain amount.
    So nothing to do with Rocco Forte's Italian ancestry?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You of all people should know about Italy’s rather generous tax break for new immigrants who earn over a certain amount.
    He backed Brexit because he wanted no tax, so forgive my cynicism if he happens to chose a country that offers a massive tax break if he moves there.
  • Stevo_666
    edited May 2023

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

He backed Brexit because he wanted no tax, so forgive my cynicism if he happens to chose a country that offers a massive tax break if he moves there.
    So you agree with me that tax incentives do cause people and businesses to move between countries?

He is Italian by descent and has strong ties there. That said, it looks like he doesn't want to get punished by Labour for being successful, which is what he has said. Who can blame him?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Surprising in some ways there hasn't been more adverse reaction to the two-tier citizenship.

Sweet having both British and EU citizenship
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,608

Surprising in some ways there hasn't been more adverse reaction to the two-tier citizenship.

So it's easier to leave Northern Ireland?
  • tailwindhome

Good to have the option for my kids. And my better half is looking at late career options in mainland Europe.

Handy to have the option which passport I want to travel on depending on the destination. Just pick the shorter queue

Also keeps retirement abroad an easy option

So, yeah.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    don't rub it in...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498

Good to have the option for my kids. And my better half is looking at late career options in mainland Europe.

Handy to have the option which passport I want to travel on depending on the destination. Just pick the shorter queue

So, yeah.

Yep. Same for me, my wife and kids. Made up that they have Irish passports and my kids could work anywhere in Europe when they grow up a lot more easily then their UK counterparts.
  • TheBigBean
    Stand out stuff from the EU. Anyone needing a swap needs to wait until the afternoon, so they can trade it in the US. No doubt at a premium.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,698
    You've got to hand it Farage - he certainly knows how to keep the media interested in him, this morning's effort being in admitting that "Brexit has failed".
  • tailwindhome
    Superb work all round

• rick_chasey
    edited May 2023

Stand out stuff from the EU. Anyone needing a swap needs to wait until the afternoon, so they can trade it in the US. No doubt at a premium.
    They increased their own non-Uk share substantially
  • TheBigBean

Great. Top marks. Against advice from everyone with any understanding of the industry, the amount of Euro swaps cleared in the EU is less than half in a, presumably cherry picked, month.

• rick_chasey

Great. Top marks. Against advice from everyone with any understanding of the industry, the amount of Euro swaps cleared in the EU is less than half in a, presumably cherry picked, month.

EU works for its members, not for non-members.
  • TheBigBean

So, yeah.

In an ideal world working holiday visas could be introduced with more countries as Brexit has undoubtedly meant a loss in that area. At the moment, the following can work in the UK, and there are similar opportunities in the other direction e.g. Brits can work in Iceland.

Australia
    Canada
    Monaco
    New Zealand
    San Marino
    Iceland
    Hong Kong
    Japan
    South Korea
    Taiwan

• Stevo_666
    edited May 2023

Stevo_666 said:

Will you never learn to read the article and not just the sub-headings?

He sees a Labour Govt as the final straw, the heavy lifting was done by a flip flopping anti-business Tory Party.

And don’t forget that in my eyes you are mr leftiebollox as bizarrely the tvvat is echoing my own opinion.

Other than campaigning to get out of the EU then leaving the sunlit uplands to get back in it
    He said what I posted in the article above. Sure he said other things in it but leaving the UK if Labour gets in was pretty clear.
  • tailwindhome

Superb work all round

The hilarious logic of this - all food for UK supermarkets will bear the label 'Not for sale in EU' so no difference is made between products for the GB and the UK markets.

This rule won't apply - to products made in NI

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,026
    Car manufacturers appear to have not got the message as told earlier.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65612295
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,179
    edited May 2023

Superb work all round

The hilarious logic of this - all food for UK supermarkets will bear the label 'Not for sale in EU' so no difference is made between products for the GB and the UK markets.

more brexiter red tape
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • tailwindhome
    There'll be no cheese sandwiches at the Sunny Uplands

• skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    sungod said:

Superb work all round

more brexiter red tape
    It’s the new reality. ‘F*ck business’ were the only true words Johnson ever muttered.

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

There'll be no cheese sandwiches at the Sunny Uplands

I actually agree.
    The problem here isn’t a short period of high inflation. These things are cyclical and it’s inevitable these periods will happen.

The problem is why her lot have promoted/created/facilitated an economy where for many full time workers, the remuneration simply isn’t enough to survive on.

Basic wages have been squeezed to the bare bones so huge swathes of the workforce have no headroom for inflation.
  • Stevo_666

sungod said:

Superb work all round

more brexiter red tape
    It’s the new reality. ‘F*ck business’ were the only true words Johnson ever muttered.

Don't worry, Labour are limbering up in the wings ready to outdo any Johnsonn rhetoric. You run a business so good luck if they do get in.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,151
    Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Superb work all round

more brexiter red tape

Don't worry, Labour are limbering up in the wings ready to outdo any Johnsonn rhetoric. You run a business so good luck if they do get in.
    Just announced a clear housebuilding policy so already a massive advantage over the nimby parties.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Superb work all round

more brexiter red tape

Just announced a clear housebuilding policy so already a massive advantage over the nimby parties.
    I was thinking more about the inevitable Labour war on wealth and wealth creators if they get in. You own business as well, so best of luck if they do...
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Superb work all round

more brexiter red tape

I was thinking more about the inevitable Labour war on wealth and wealth creators if they get in. You own business as well, so best of luck if they do...
    You think that happened under Blair?