Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,776

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Superb work all round

The hilarious logic of this - all food for UK supermarkets will bear the label 'Not for sale in EU' so no difference is made between products for the GB and the UK markets.

This rule won't apply - to products made in NI

more brexiter red tape
    It’s the new reality. ‘F*ck business’ were the only true words Johnson ever muttered.

Don't worry, Labour are limbering up in the wings ready to outdo any Johnsonn rhetoric. You run a business so good luck if they do get in.
    Just announced a clear housebuilding policy so already a massive advantage over the nimby parties.
    I was thinking more about the inevitable Labour war on wealth and wealth creators if they get in. You own business as well, so best of luck if they do...
    You think that happened under Blair?
    I'm predicting what is likely to happen.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Superb work all round

The hilarious logic of this - all food for UK supermarkets will bear the label 'Not for sale in EU' so no difference is made between products for the GB and the UK markets.

more brexiter red tape
    It’s the new reality. ‘F*ck business’ were the only true words Johnson ever muttered.

Don't worry, Labour are limbering up in the wings ready to outdo any Johnsonn rhetoric. You run a business so good luck if they do get in.
    Just announced a clear housebuilding policy so already a massive advantage over the nimby parties.
    I was thinking more about the inevitable Labour war on wealth and wealth creators if they get in. You own business as well, so best of luck if they do...
    On what evidence?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,698
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Superb work all round

more brexiter red tape

I see you've swallowed the Torygraph "war on whatever" line. Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, business did quite well out of Blair & co, not least as the economy as a whole expanded, which allowed them to fund things like the NHS better. Seems like a win-win to me.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Superb work all round

more brexiter red tape

I see you've swallowed the Torygraph "war on whatever" line. Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, business did quite well out of Blair & co, not least as the economy as a whole expanded, which allowed them to fund things like the NHS better. Seems like a win-win to me.
    Oh Brian, just because I've used a handy phease from your favourite rag doesn't mean much. How relevant is a Labour administration which came to power 26 years ago?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Superb work all round

more brexiter red tape

On what evidence?
    Try reading the draft Labour manifesto and then read between the lines.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Superb work all round

more brexiter red tape

On what evidence?
    The line is nothing can be done without getting the economy moving again. They're not waging war on wealth creators.

Unless by wealth creators you just mean people who happen to be owning their houses.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Superb work all round

more brexiter red tape

On what evidence?
    The line is nothing can be done without getting the economy moving again. They're not waging war on wealth creators.

No sh!t Sherlock. Which of their policies will do that, if implemented.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Superb work all round

more brexiter red tape

Oh Brian, just because I've used a handy phease from your favourite rag doesn't mean much. How relevant is a Labour administration which came to power 26 years ago?

More relevant than looking back to dead-end Corbyn, or the pre-Thatcher era, which is what I suspect you and the Telegraph are thinking of. At the risk of going all sealion, if you've got any more concrete evidence that Labour will be worse for business than the current iteration of the Tory Party, now's the time to share it. We're all ears.

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Superb work all round

more brexiter red tape

More relevant than looking back to dead-end Corbyn, or the pre-Thatcher era, which is what I suspect you and the Telegraph are thinking of. At the risk of going all sealion, if you've got any more concrete evidence that Labour will be worse for business than the current iteration of the Tory Party, now's the time to share it. We're all ears.

It's informed speculation, as I'm sure you're aware. See my reply to Rick above and have a read of the draft Labour manifesto, then apply some sceptical thinking.

What makes you think Labour will be good for business?

• briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Superb work all round

more brexiter red tape

It's informed speculation, as I'm sure you're aware. See my reply to Rick above and have a read of the draft Labour manifesto, then apply some sceptical thinking.

'Informed speculation'. Informed by what, pray? That's not exactly evidence.

If Labour rebuilds bridges with the EU to reduce friction, that will be good for business. Hell, if we re-joined the SM & CU, that would be even better for business (though I admit that's unlikely in the short term).

As I've said before, if Sunak chucked out the loons and owned up to the massive mistake of Brexit, I reckon he'd give the Tories a much better chance of sinking Starmer below the waterline. I carry no torch for Starmer, especially given his current "No to SM & CU" mantra, but at least he's not trying to claim that Brexit is a great success, and my speculation is that pragmatism will win out in the end - it's just whether it's Labour or the Tories who get there first.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,607
    Stevo you're the one suggesting the evidence is in the manifesto but telling us all to go and "read between the lines".

Why not post the obvious smoking gun?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    Manifesto seems largely sensible to me.

I'm not a massive fan of the "right to disconnect" and i think it's unworkable in practice but it's hardly a game changer.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,179
    only ones i see waging war against wealth creation are the tory party since it was seized by brexiters

johnson was very clear on his position: "f​uck business", he certainly delivered on that
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,151
    edited May 2023
    pangolin said:

Stevo you're the one suggesting the evidence is in the manifesto but telling us all to go and "read between the lines".

Because it's not been published and is only a leaked draft internal consultation that will almost certainly be revised. Amazing how some can predict the future when it neatly conforms to his world view.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,608
    Possible Brexit benefit, but not fact checked

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65623580
  • Stevo_666
    edited May 2023

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Superb work all round

more brexiter red tape

If Labour rebuilds bridges with the EU to reduce friction, that will be good for business. Hell, if we re-joined the SM & CU, that would be even better for business (though I admit that's unlikely in the short term).

As I've said before, if Sunak chucked out the loons and owned up to the massive mistake of Brexit, I reckon he'd give the Tories a much better chance of sinking Starmer below the waterline. I carry no torch for Starmer, especially given his current "No to SM & CU" mantra, but at least he's not trying to claim that Brexit is a great success, and my speculation is that pragmatism will win out in the end - it's just whether it's Labour or the Tories who get there first.
    Have you read their draft manifesto as I advised you to? If not, then I'm more informed than you are ;)
  • Stevo_666
    edited May 2023
    pangolin said:

I think even you know what making judgments mean, so go do it and tell us what you think.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

Because it's not been published and is only a leaked draft internal consultation that will almost certainly be revised. Amazing how some can predict the future when it neatly conforms to his world view.
    A draft Labour manifesto - it's persuasive evidence of their intent, don't you think? What else do you have to go on?

If nothing, then should we mnot be worried that the wannabe next government isn't telling us much about their policies?
  • Stevo_666
    These are the EU car makers which allegedly would never do that, right?
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Superb work all round

more brexiter red tape

Have you read their draft manifesto as I advised you to? If not, then I'm more informed than you are ;)

Yes, read it. Can't see anything too anti-business in there, and lots to deal with the problems holding it back. My biggest gripe would be ruling out the return to freedom of movement, which I grant you, could hold businesses back.
  • briantrumpet
    edited May 2023
    This is a bit like walking into a Torycar dealership, with a chequebook ready, wanting to be persuaded ("Tell me why I should buy this Torycar Mk.4"), and being told that I really shouldn't buy a new Skoda because they made shït cars in the 1970s.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,607
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

I think even you know what making judgments mean, so go do it and tell us what you think.
    Nothing then?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    To be fair you can see the case for Labour being bad for business after the stratospheric improvements business owners and the wider economy have benefitted from over the past 13 years of Tory Government and especially the last 7 years.

I’m really struggling to understand how anyone can think things will be made worse and I’m certainly prepared to take that chance.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Pross said:

To be fair you can see the case for Labour being bad for business after the stratospheric improvements business owners and the wider economy have benefitted from over the past 13 years of Tory Government and especially the last 7 years.

I’m really struggling to understand how anyone can think things will be made worse and I’m certainly prepared to take that chance.

+1 to this.

The other thing is whether you disagree with the Labour manifesto, they will stick to it, and people and businesses can plan accordingly. The Tories will inevitably change leaders at the first sign of a wobble, and who will you get, and how will they pivot? Braverman? Johnson V2?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,151
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

A draft Labour manifesto - it's persuasive evidence of their intent, don't you think? What else do you have to go on?

If nothing, then should we mnot be worried that the wannabe next government isn't telling us much about their policies?
    Difficult to say without seeing it. Post a link and I'll have a look. They've made a very clear pro-housebuilding statement so that already puts them several steps ahead on wealth creation (as opposed to wealth hording). Your lot are fundamentally opposed to development and are actively restricting housebuilding so would fit into the latter category.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Yeah, that's me too, really.

I don't put too much weight on manifestos, as they are nearly always either 'aspirations' or blatant "Vote for us as we'll give you more money" pitches that they never keep (equally bad on all sides). So then I take my own assessment of how honest. competent, pragmatic and humane I guess they'll be, and put my cross on the paper.

Though this next one, I just want this bunch of charlatans given a good kicking so that out in the wilderness they can boot out the loons like Braverman and reinvent themselves as a vaguely sensible and competent party.
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Nothing then?
    Who said anything about a smoking gun? Lots of vague promises that clearly will need lots of spending and as usual, no specified way of funding them.

So what is there you can see that will really improve things and is feasible? It would be good to hear your views for a change.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Sounds like turkeys voting for Christmas to me.