BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,677

To give them their due, they've done a great job of obliterating the 'opposition' - when I first started catering for myself (in the 1980s), there were greengrocers aplenty in Exeter, and the supermarkets were hilariously more expensive for fruit & veg. There are now only three independent greengrocers in the whole of Exeter, I think.

i went into a local greengrocer recently. It was £4 for a broccoli crown. When I queried this he told me it was organic. Nearly four times the price of an organic one in the supermarket.

Moments like these make me realise I'll never make a rich person.

I think broccoli is overrated anyway, so it's easy to give it a miss. I suspect it's also a vegetable that is hard to grow organically, hence the price at the greengrocer. It would be an interesting study to find out how the supermarket managed their price in comparison.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,589
    The supermarket one is also organic
  • briantrumpet

Yup, and if they are tricky to grow organically, how do they get such a low price? If there's little or no margin for the grower for the added hassle of organic, why do it?

It's not just 'my hunch' that the producer-retailer relationship is asymmetrical. There's been a fundamental shift in that relationship. I'm sure I've recounted the astonishing interview with a Sainsbury's buyer years ago, talking about milk production, in which he explicitly said it was his aim to drive out the bottom 3rd of producers to make the whole industry more competitive. Maybe that's just the way the world works these days.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223

To give them their due, they've done a great job of obliterating the 'opposition' - when I first started catering for myself (in the 1980s), there were greengrocers aplenty in Exeter, and the supermarkets were hilariously more expensive for fruit & veg. There are now only three independent greengrocers in the whole of Exeter, I think.

i went into a local greengrocer recently. It was £4 for a broccoli crown. When I queried this he told me it was organic. Nearly four times the price of an organic one in the supermarket.

I think broccoli is overrated anyway, so it's easy to give it a miss. I suspect it's also a vegetable that is hard to grow organically, hence the price at the greengrocer. It would be an interesting study to find out how the supermarket managed their price in comparison.
    I suspect it’s more a case of the particular greengrocer opting for the ‘high end’ market I.e those with lots of money who think paying more for something automatically makes it superior. Basically taking the opposite path to the supermarkets.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

I suspect it’s more a case of the particular greengrocer opting for the ‘high end’ market I.e those with lots of money who think paying more for something automatically makes it superior. Basically taking the opposite path to the supermarkets.

Without quizzing various parties, we'll never know.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Pross said:

Fruit and veg at the stall in Epsom market is a lot cheaper than supermarkets. He recently openly a shop in Cobham that charges a lot more.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,018

Pross said:

Fruit and veg at the stall in Epsom market is a lot cheaper than supermarkets. He recently openly a shop in Cobham that charges a lot more.
    Overheads?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean

Pross said:

Without quizzing various parties, we'll never know.
    It's definitely as Pross describes. It's not a shop for the poor.
  • TheBigBean

Yup, and if they are tricky to grow organically, how do they get such a low price? If there's little or no margin for the grower for the added hassle of organic, why do it?

It's not just 'my hunch' that the producer-retailer relationship is asymmetrical. There's been a fundamental shift in that relationship. I'm sure I've recounted the astonishing interview with a Sainsbury's buyer years ago, talking about milk production, in which he explicitly said it was his aim to drive out the bottom 3rd of producers to make the whole industry more competitive. Maybe that's just the way the world works these days.
    My farming relatives tell me some of the supermarkets are better than others. Tesco being one of the worst. I've forgotten the good guys
  • briantrumpet

My farming relatives tell me some of the supermarkets are better than others. Tesco being one of the worst. I've forgotten the good guys

I've got a feeling that one of the better ones might be a surprise, like Aldi, or something, not cuddly, partnership Waitrose, as one might expect.

But the contracts I've heard about are very one-sided, with all the risk being on the producers' side: a local cauli grower was thoroughly screwed over by one of them: they had to commit to supplying a certain (very large) number at all the requisite times and grades over a period, geared themselves up for it, and part way through the contract the supermarket just pulled out and said "tough, we can get them cheaper elsewhere", giving them the option to reduce the price if they wanted to keep selling them. That farm now has an extremely good and large farm shop.
  • TheBigBean

I've got a feeling that one of the better ones might be a surprise, like Aldi, or something, not cuddly, partnership Waitrose, as one might expect.

But the contracts I've heard about are very one-sided, with all the risk being on the producers' side: a local cauli grower was thoroughly screwed over by one of them: they had to commit to supplying a certain (very large) number at all the requisite times and grades over a period, geared themselves up for it, and part way through the contract the supermarket just pulled out and said "tough, we can get them cheaper elsewhere", giving them the option to reduce the price if they wanted to keep selling them. That farm now has an extremely good and large farm shop.
    That's an astonishingly narrow minded approach to business. They'll still need cauliflowers next year.

• briantrumpet

That's an astonishingly narrow minded approach to business. They'll still need cauliflowers next year.

It is indeed, though the approach was an easier one to navigate/mitigate (for the supermarkets) when they had easier access to a larger geographical range of willing suppliers. (I'm avoiding using the B word here.)
  • briantrumpet
    If memory serves correctly, it was M&S, maybe 20/30 years ago. But my memory is fallible.
  • They'll still need cauliflowers next year.

No-one needs cauliflowers. They're not quite as bad as cabbage and certainly better than sprouts, but they are still an un-necessary evil.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,018

It is indeed, though the approach was an easier one to navigate/mitigate (for the supermarkets) when they had easier access to a larger geographical range of willing suppliers. (I'm avoiding using the B word here.)
    An unusual methodology given the thread. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,212
    Meanwhile, in the real world, plenty tomatoes, peppers, and for benefit of fatwumman Coffey, turnips. Wozza problem?
  • briantrumpet

They'll still need cauliflowers next year.

No-one needs cauliflowers. They're not quite as bad as cabbage and certainly better than sprouts, but they are still an un-necessary evil.

Fair point. Give me a Swede any day.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

An unusual methodology given the thread. 😉

I thought I'd try a subtle approach for once. Normal service will be resumed in due course.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815

They'll still need cauliflowers next year.

Fair point. Give me a Swede any day.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,212
    I see your bid and raise you

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815
    "You won't believe what Greta Thunberg looks like now"
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    Pssst, anyone want some tomatoes?

As seen earlier this evening.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Stevo_666 said:

If they used a more conventional display they might sell more
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223

Stevo_666 said:

Maybe the shortage is really because they are falling off the display and onto the floor beneath!
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Maybe the shortage is really because they are falling off the display and onto the floor beneath!
    And they've still got quite a few left even after that! Tomatogate is surely over and people need to look for the next alleged 'killer' Brexit problem :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    edited March 2023
    Double post
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo, as I don't go to supermarkets anymore (online shopping FTW), next time check out where all the tomatoes come from.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo, as I don't go to supermarkets anymore (online shopping FTW), next time check out where all the tomatoes come from.

Sure, what happens after that?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Curious to know where they're coming from.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,412

Curious to know where they're coming from.

Could you not look on the packaging on your home delivery, or alternatively when you order them it probably says their origin?