Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815
    edited March 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:
    Do you mean Brexit supporters?
    Nope.
    So you're saying this is what Brexit supporters voted for?

Construction workers are among those expected to be added to the Government’s "shortage occupation list", which enables companies to hire overseas workers on salaries below normal minimum thresholds.

Net immigration to the UK reached a record high of 504,000 in the year to June 2022

• kingstongraham
    The fact that some EU countries are ahead of the UK in that table implies that maybe it wasn't being in the EU that made all the difference. But it looks like good news if it actually gives results.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:
    Nope.

Construction workers are among those expected to be added to the Government’s "shortage occupation list", which enables companies to hire overseas workers on salaries below normal minimum thresholds.

Net immigration to the UK reached a record high of 504,000 in the year to June 2022

I think you're oure deliberately going off on a tangent with that.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

The fact that some EU countries are ahead of the UK in that table implies that maybe it wasn't being in the EU that made all the difference. But it looks like good news if it actually gives results.

That's more like it.

Could be one of these allegedly non existent Brexit bonuses?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:
    Nope.

You posted the link !
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,589

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:
    Nope.

Wasn't the promise to take control of immigration? Your statements don't necessarily go against that.
  • kingstongraham

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:
    Nope.

Wasn't the promise to take control of immigration? Your statements don't necessarily go against that.
    There definitely were some pro-Brexit voters that wanted increased immigration from outside the EU. I'm not certain that was the majority, but obviously can't be sure.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:
    Nope.

You posted the link !
    The title of the article should give you a clue as to the main point being made :smile:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,177
    edited March 2023

"Magnet for highly skilled migrants" - well not in my world.

nor mine

two high net worth friends already left the uk, another is on the way - one art world, one multinational online retail, the banking one is on the way

i'm now paying higher salary to niche high-skill people in poland than in the uk

i'm sure uk easing immigration from non-eu countries increases attraction to non-eu people, but that's always been in uk's control and is not a 'brexit benefit', i hired quite a few non-eu pre-brexit, none since, anyone claiming otherwise is clearly either a liar or ignorant, which sums up the world of telegraph
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

nor mine

two high net worth friends already left the uk, another is on the way - one art world, one multinational online retail, the banking one is on the way

i'm now paying higher salary to niche high-skill people in poland than in the uk

i'm sure uk easing immigration from non-eu countries increases attraction to non-eu people, but that's always been in uk's control and is not a 'brexit benefit', i hired quite a few non-eu pre-brexit, none since, anyone claiming otherwise is clearly either a liar or ignorant, which sums up the world of telegraph
    I guess you're calling the OECD liars then, as they wrote it.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

nor mine

Sorry if I missed it but did you clarify if OECD are saying it is better since before Brexit or better since 2019?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145
    He just can't keep away.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

nor mine

Sorry if I missed it but did you clarify if OECD are saying it is better since before Brexit or better since 2019?
    I'm commenting on the specific point raised in the article whose source was the OECD - I quoted the relevant summary part above. Any thoughts on that?
  • kingstongraham
    edited March 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:
    Nope.

You posted the link !
    The title of the article should give you a clue as to the main point being made :smile:
    If you don’t want people to read articles, don't post links to them.

Telegraph headlines are often clickbait for the unwary that don't reflect the content.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:
    Nope.

You posted the link !

Telegraph headlines are often clickbait for the unwary that don't reflect the content.
    You do understand the point I'm making about the main point that the article was making, don't you? Although it was pretty predictable that you would try to avoid address the main issue :smile:
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

He just can't keep away.

I'll post when I choose to. You should be happy as this thread has been struggling for a while.
  • kingstongraham
    edited March 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:
    Nope.

You posted the link !

You do understand the point I'm making about the main point that the article was making, don't you? Although it was pretty predictable that you would try to avoid address the main issue :smile:
    Do you mean other than in the post where I addressed it and that you replied to?

Are you trying to avoid commenting on the other bits in the article?
  • sungod
    Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

nor mine

usual attempt to dodge the facts

• Stevo_666
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

nor mine

By you, maybe. Try looking at what they said and tell me why they are wrong.
  • Stevo_666
    edited March 2023
    Oops wrong thread :)
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:
    Nope.

You posted the link !

Do you mean other than in the post where I addressed it and that you replied to?

I'm focusing on the main point. Nobody is claiming everything is perfect but you are ignoring the main point. Just read the title again.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:
    Nope.

You posted the link !

I'm focusing on the main point. Nobody is claiming everything is perfect but you are ignoring the main point. Just read the title again.
    You replied to my post about the thing you are accusing me of ignoring.

I'm really starting to wonder about your attention to detail.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Does Stevo really believe UK is becoming a magnet for talent?

Or is he point scoring?

If the former, mate, let me know whatever your taking. It must make the world a better place to be in.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,677
    "But Brexit is over, and it's got nothing to do with Brexit."
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,212
    "As an investor we want a country to be stable"

What, a heated on expenses stable like superstar Zahawi do you mean?
  • sungod
    Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

nor mine

By you, maybe. Try looking at what they said and tell me why they are wrong.
    no, you tell me
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145
    Just heard from Mr Hunt that Brexit was actually a decision to change the economic model of Great Britain. 😆
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,018
    rjsterry said:

Just heard from Mr Hunt that Brexit was actually a decision to change the economic model of Great Britain. 😆

Must say that is been a success in that case.
    Just not as intended I presume...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo, as I don't go to supermarkets anymore (online shopping FTW), next time check out where all the tomatoes come from.

Nearly forgot about this - you got me interested. The tomatoes in my local Tesco last weekend were from Spain and Morocco - roughly a 50/50 split.