BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    What a waste of 7 years

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

What a waste of 7 years

Well that’s a cost saving!

Just need somebody with a rubber stamp and a photocopier to make a copy of eu approval docs.
  • tailwindhome

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    I watched the second season of Clarkson's Farm and was amazed that he is passionately anti-Brexit. When you look at how many people queue up to buy his tat you wonder if he should have fronted the Remain campaign
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498

I watched the second season of Clarkson's Farm and was amazed that he is passionately anti-Brexit. When you look at how many people queue up to buy his tat you wonder if he should have fronted the Remain campaign

I genuinely think he would have made a difference. Like Farage, somehow they have adapted this ‘man of the people’ persona which is massively hard to fathom.

I refuse to take advice from anyone drinking pints of Bishop Ballbag in bootcut jeans and sh1t-flicker shoes.

• surrey_commuter

I genuinely think he would have made a difference. Like Farage, somehow they have adapted this ‘man of the people’ persona which is massively hard to fathom.

I refuse to take advice from anyone drinking pints of Bishop Ballbag in bootcut jeans and censored -flicker shoes.

You can picture him in a debate with Farage/JRM laughing derisively and out shithousing them
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605
    "Liberal elites want to rob £80 billion from the British taxpayer"
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815

The only thing saving us from brexit being worse than predicted is higher than expected immigration then. Didn't hear him mention that in the speech.
  • tailwindhome
    'This Brexit, it's a bit shit?'

'The people chose it'

The Conservative Party need an election demolition and rebuild

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,677

'This Brexit, it's a bit censored ?'

'The people chose it'

The Conservative Party need an election demolition and rebuild

They seem to be blaming the electorate for having made a bad choice. Totes on brand.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:
    I am struggling with why it is an economic benefit when so many of the visas are non-work.

Then again my head is thrumming trying to guess how many of the extra work visas will be for EU citizens who previously did not need them
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605

rjsterry said:
    I am struggling with why it is an economic benefit when so many of the visas are non-work.

Then again my head is thrumming trying to guess how many of the extra work visas will be for EU citizens who previously did not need them
    Study visas will be adding cash to the economy won't they?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,018
    Even your basic holidaymaker spends money.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,891
    Average £22k per year fees plus rent, general spending etc has to be over £100k each I would have thought.
    https://study-uk.britishcouncil.org/moving-uk/cost-studying
    pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

Study visas will be adding cash to the economy won't they?
  • rjsterry
    edited March 2023

rjsterry said:

It's just very, very funny. I mean Scott Benton MP is going around stating as FACT that the UK is 'full' but his party has actually increased immigration beyond anything achieved pre 2016.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815
    Don't make a big deal our of it, sounds like it's the thing keeping us afloat
  • rjsterry
    No it's great. An actual real life Brexit benefit. I'm all for it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,677
    As the DUP decides to vote against the Windsor Framework, and the ERG are unhappy about the 90 minutes allowed for debate over the 'Stormont Brake', is it time to suggest that the 'Cake & Eat It' plan is as dead as a Norwegian Blue parrot?
  • surrey_commuter

I am far from convinced that this is correct.

Previously we had British companies hiring the people that they needed from all over the EU.

Now they can hire the people for whom the Govt has granted permission for.

I suspect the big number is hiding a large number of people getting a student visa for signing on at an appropriate institution and a lot of non-working dependents from South Asia.

Ironically this will result in skill shortages in Remain backing south east and increased tension in Leave supporting northern shitholes
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    edited March 2023

Previously we had British companies hiring the people that they needed from all over the EU.

I suspect the big number is hiding a large number of people getting a student visa for signing on at an appropriate institution and a lot of non-working dependents from South Asia.

Ironically this will result in skill shortages in Remain backing south east and increased tension in Leave supporting northern shitholes
    Nice to see the rhetoric of Brexit discussion remains as divisive as ever.

Bit of a sweeping statement that one.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,891
    Well, quite.
    The south Eastern shitholes (they may be lovely places, I have no idea) did a decent job supporting brexit too.

Actually, seems like more of an east/west split than north south from this map.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/Pdcm8Aj1LDVEkzhP7
    Bloody easteners....
  • surrey_commuter
    morstar said:

Nice to see the rhetoric of Brexit discussion remains as divisive as ever.

Bit of a sweeping statement that one.
    The long version is that the former mill towns are very depressed due to the old industries packing up and they are now “overrun” with Asians. This was of course the fault of Brexit.

In contrast Harrogate which is northern but not a shithole voted remain.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I wouldn’t worry too much. By 2050 British people who want to go earn some real money will go to Poland and send some money back. Win win.
  • tailwindhome
    Only 29 votes against the Windsor Framework

Things that are done

Brexit*
    Powersharing in NI
    The ERG

*for GB
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    Mr Johnson risks "looking like a pound shop Nigel Farage" by voting against the deal, added Mr Baker, who supported the UK's EU exit in 2016.
    Former Brexit leader Nigel Farage fired back on Twitter, saying Mr Baker had betrayed his Brexiteer credentials and was a "weasel" for supporting the deal.

Truss voted against as well.
  • surrey_commuter

Only 29 votes against the Windsor Framework

Things that are done

Brexit*
    Powersharing in NI
    The ERG

*for GB

you might want to add Boris to that list