BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Conclusion - This is not a Brexit issue, it is a supermarket issue. First they started the rot on the high street* now they have started the rot in farming. 👏👏👏

*The internet will finally kill off high street shopping.

So my sister is a fruit & veg buyer at a supermarket.

Brexit is a constant challenge, that they're working hard at to overcome.

To say otherwise is just not true. Just because they can work around it, doesn't mean it isn't a hindrance.

That isn't up for discussion.

Are the shortages caused by Brexit? No.

Is dealing with the shortages more challenging because of Brexit? Yes.

Does it make the UK's food import situation more secure? No. The opposite.

And the high street is being killed off also by being useless. They never have what you go in for. Choice is appalling. How often have I heard “you’ll have to check the website”

Town is heaving every time I go in, so the appetite to shop is there.

This is the high street's death throes.
    The town is heaving of people with nothing better to do. #lackofimagination
    None sense. The high street *as you know it* is dying, it’s becoming something else #lackofimagination
    Yeah, hairdressers, barbers, nail bars, tattoo parlours, charity shops, chain cafes and takeaways. You are welcome to it.
    I'd be more accepting if those going "shopping" admitted that they are just going to the pub/bar.
    Yeah, what kind of lowlife gets their hair cut or meets up with friends for lunch?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Conclusion - This is not a Brexit issue, it is a supermarket issue. First they started the rot on the high street* now they have started the rot in farming. 👏👏👏

To say otherwise is just not true. Just because they can work around it, doesn't mean it isn't a hindrance.

And the high street is being killed off also by being useless. They never have what you go in for. Choice is appalling. How often have I heard “you’ll have to check the website”

None sense. The high street *as you know it* is dying, it’s becoming something else #lackofimagination
    Yeah, hairdressers, barbers, nail bars, tattoo parlours, charity shops, chain cafes and takeaways. You are welcome to it.
    I'd be more accepting if those going "shopping" admitted that they are just going to the pub/bar.
    Yeah, what kind of lowlife gets their hair cut or meets up with friends for lunch?
    I guess if you are a well paid but anti-social type who is bald then the above outlets may be of limited use :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,017
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

You missed my point as that is obviously fair enough. What gets my goat is that they use "shopping" as the excuse with little or no intention. Just say you're going for lunch.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145
    Seems like a pretty inconsequential thing to worry about. I've not got much need for a nail salon myself but I don't see a problem with changes in the way high streets are used. Far better to embrace the change than cling on to something just because it was the way it was before.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • What about all the people the retail sector employs? I'm sure it must be more than pickers in a warehouse.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,675
    Aha, a Brexit benefit, at last!

Does it matter that it's for Ireland, and the ports of Rosslare, and Cherbourg?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/25/ports-france-ireland-brexit-cherbourg-rosslare

In 2019, when the UK was still in the Brexit transition period, fewer than 35,000 HGVs passed through the Normandy port on their way to Ireland, Millet said; the average over the past two years, with Britain out of the EU’s regulatory orbit, was 96,000.

“That’s absolutely a Brexit effect,” he said. “The land bridge via Britain is broken, and we’re the beneficiaries.”

The same goes for Rosslare. Geography favoured the port, Ireland’s closest to mainland Europe, as did spare capacity and decent motorway connections to both Dublin and Belfast. As a consequence, the post-Brexit figures tell their own story.

Freight to and from mainland Europe soared from just 36,000 units in 2019 to 125,000 in 2021, and 137,000 in 2022. That has more than offset a slump in freight to and from Britain, which fell from 104,000 units in 2019 to 65,000 in 2021 and 63,500 last year.

Why involve a party that makes things more difficult?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,412
    Well that's quite a lot fewer continental lorries using British roads and not paying for them, so a double benefit!
  • Well that's quite a lot fewer continental lorries using British roads and not paying for them, so a double benefit!

I thought all lorries (continental ones included) with a permissible weight over 12 tons had to pay a tariff in the UK, the amount being up to £10 for each day travelled on UK roads, the exact amount per day depending on number of axles and permissible weight.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    edited February 2023

Aha, a Brexit benefit, at last!

Does it matter that it's for Ireland, and the ports of Rosslare, and Cherbourg?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/25/ports-france-ireland-brexit-cherbourg-rosslare

In 2019, when the UK was still in the Brexit transition period, fewer than 35,000 HGVs passed through the Normandy port on their way to Ireland, Millet said; the average over the past two years, with Britain out of the EU’s regulatory orbit, was 96,000.

“That’s absolutely a Brexit effect,” he said. “The land bridge via Britain is broken, and we’re the beneficiaries.”

The same goes for Rosslare. Geography favoured the port, Ireland’s closest to mainland Europe, as did spare capacity and decent motorway connections to both Dublin and Belfast. As a consequence, the post-Brexit figures tell their own story.

Freight to and from mainland Europe soared from just 36,000 units in 2019 to 125,000 in 2021, and 137,000 in 2022. That has more than offset a slump in freight to and from Britain, which fell from 104,000 units in 2019 to 65,000 in 2021 and 63,500 last year.

Why involve a party that makes things more difficult?
    On the ebikes thread you were saying how it good it would be if there was less traffic on the roads. So I guess you're not kidding this time, it is a Brexit benefit for you :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,412
    jimmyjams said:

Well that's quite a lot fewer continental lorries using British roads and not paying for them, so a double benefit!

I thought all lorries (continental ones included) with a permissible weight over 12 tons had to pay a tariff in the UK, the amount being up to £10 for each day travelled on UK roads, the exact amount per day depending on number of axles and permissible weight.

Levy has been suspended since 2021 at least.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/heavy-goods-vehicle-hgv-levy-suspension/heavy-goods-vehicle-hgv-levy-suspension#:~:text=UK road network.-,General description of the measure,frozen in 2022 to 2023.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Deal on the Protocol expected to go public tomorrow
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Deal on the Protocol expected to go public tomorrow

Is this it for the ERG? Here’s hoping.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Mmmm not there yet then
  • briantrumpet

Mmmm not there yet then

Might be because he doesn't want to reveal the agreement to the nutters. He'll definitely go up in my opinion, by a gnat's crotchet, if he ignores the DUP/ERG nutters, and goes for pragmatism and statecraft. If he caves, there ought to be a General Election, as obviously the ERG would effectively be in power.
  • rick_chasey
    He’s a Brexiter he’s one of them in spirit anyway. Don’t know why he gets a free ride on this stuff.
  • briantrumpet

He’s a Brexiter he’s one of them in spirit anyway. Don’t know why he gets a free ride on this stuff.

Because he's not a lying two-faced lazy shît like Johnson, or a nutter like Truss.

He's still a Brexit Tory though, and they all need to be gone so that they can go off for ten years, gaze at their navels and wonder what they stand for.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    It is possible to separate somebodies policy beliefs from their ability to govern and lead.

If Rishi pulls off a deal that he can get past the nutters, that is effective and sound leadership.

If you can’t recognise that, you are in football team politics.

The prior PMs x2 were both incapable leaders with other major personality flaws. Rishi is a big step up.
  • X3 surely.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2023
    morstar said:

It is possible to separate somebodies policy beliefs from their ability to govern and lead.

If Rishi pulls off a deal that he can get past the nutters, that is effective and sound leadership.

If you can’t recognise that, you are in football team politics.

The prior PMs x2 were both incapable leaders with other major personality flaws. Rishi is a big step up.

He is not. He’s as useless as the rest, he’s just on a shorter leash.

The third week of my broken shoulder is better than the previous two but it’s still a broken shoulder.

He’s lucky the EU has come to its senses post Ukraine invasion and realised they were too punitive.
  • briantrumpet
    edited February 2023

He’s lucky the EU has come to its senses post Ukraine invasion and realised they were too punitive.

"Brave Rishi puts the imperialistic EU in their place with typical British bulldog spirit!", I think you mean.

Or it's just possible that the EU realised he's not a totally untrustworthy ärsehole, and so the two parties have been able to negotiate something vaguely sensible for both sides. On verra.
  • rick_chasey

"Brave Rishi puts the imperialistic EU in their place with typical British bulldog spirit!", I think you mean.

Or it's just possible that the EU realised he's not a totally untrustworthy ärsehole, and so the two parties have been able to negotiate something vaguely sensible for both sides. On verra.
    No evidence from him he is either more or less trustworthy beyond appointing a series of morons into his cabinet.

Because the system has stopped banging it’s head into a brick wall doesn’t mean he’s great.
  • briantrumpet

No evidence from him he is either more or less trustworthy beyond appointing a series of morons into his cabinet.

Because the system has stopped banging it’s head into a brick wall doesn’t mean he’s great.

No one is claiming he is. It's an extremely low bar to be better than Johnson or Truss though. That's all. I'm not sure why you want an argument about it.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2023
    Because Sunak is getting a very soft ride and it’s annoying me a lot.

Lad was chancellor until last year, we have inflation at 10% and Braverman wrecking all she can in the home office.

What has actually done?
  • briantrumpet

Fair enough. There's a lot of grumping too about Laura K's softballing Raab this morning, and Fiona B's chairing of Question Time at the moment, so not going hard after Sunak doesn't surprise me.
  • morstar

X3 surely.

Well, I did consider 2 vs 3. I’d give Camoron the benefit of not actually er, er, er.

Ok. 3.
  • morstar

Lad was chancellor until last year, we have inflation at 10% and Braverman wrecking all she can in the home office.

What has actually done?

I don’t think he’s done a whole lot. But he has got a chancellor in place who has steadied the ship, is potentially breaking the NI deadlock (he has at least addressed and issue without simply posturing).

So yes, he gets a lot of benefit of a low bar, but it’s forward progress. And progress with such a shambolic party of empty vessels behind him is far from a given.

Our politics is broken, it is slightly less worse currently than it has been.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,017
    morstar said:

X3 surely.

Well, I did consider 2 vs 3. I’d give Camoron the benefit of not actually er, er, er.

Ok. 3.
    May?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,212
    These Brexshit faction cabal members of the #toryscum party know they have 18 months or so left in power to groom their non-dom offshore tax-dodging accounts so xxxx everyone else. Can King Brian plus some tanks initiate a purge sooner please.
  • morstar
    pblakeney said:

morstar said:

X3 surely.

Ok. 3.
    May?
    Oh FFS. It really is dreadful isn’t it.