BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538
    There definitely seem to have been more empty shelves across the last few years.

But you know, that was all just project fear.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    58 New posts eh?

Something must have happened in England
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762

Stevo_666 said:

So you're agreeing it isn't a big issue?
    If you can read, I beg you to use that skill.
    Read this article on the current tomato shortages:-
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/business-64718826

I'll quote the relevant sentence from the article: let me know what part of it isn't clear:
    "But they said Brexit was unlikely to be a factor."

So as said above: it's Eurobollox :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

58 New posts eh?

Something must have happened in England

Global Armageddon has arrived, (aka we're a bit short of tomatoes) and some people are desperately but unsuccessfully trying to blame it on Brexit :smiley:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'll quote the relevant sentence from the article: let me know what part of it isn't clear:

Why are there these "more complex supply chains" for the UK?
  • Brexit is a series of more or less trivial annoyances that find the place where our systems are stretched to the limit. With no upside
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,212
    My (just the best evah 'Sungold') tomato seedlings have just broken through, gimme a few months and I'll be supplying Tesco. Or summat.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,668
    orraloon said:

My (just the best evah 'Sungold') tomato seedlings have just broken through, gimme a few months and I'll be supplying Tesco. Or summat.

You'll be rich.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Pretty dire in Morrisons & waitrose round 'ere...

(A tomato shortage is exactly the sort of thing to start the raver household and family storming the tower....)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Apparently there’s no shortage in the Hutton Cranswick farm shop.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,144
    Jeez, does everyone need a few more vitamins or something? How is this so difficult to grasp?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ddraver
    ...which is kinda RC's point...
    - @ddraver
  • webboo
    We been looking after my daughters dogs for the last 8 months Frankie and Harvey.
    Harvey is a rather over weight Havernese. So we have put on him a diet reducing his kibble and adding stuff like tomatoes and peppers to pad out his meals. Is this irresponsible in the current situation.
  • ddraver
    Unless his name is Phydeaux Ramsey, it's a bit of a waste of effort...
    - @ddraver
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605
    webboo said:

We been looking after my daughters dogs for the last 8 months Frankie and Harvey.
    Harvey is a rather over weight Havernese. So we have put on him a diet reducing his kibble and adding stuff like tomatoes and peppers to pad out his meals. Is this irresponsible in the current situation.

Can you try something seasonal like sprouts please. Let us know how it goes.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • webboo
    pangolin said:

webboo said:

Can you try something seasonal like sprouts please. Let us know how it goes.
    Given he already 💨 more than I do as a veggie I’m not sure that would be wise.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,668

orraloon said:

Meanwhile, in the real world, local Coop has a load of peppers, tomatoes et al, with quite a lot on reduced price stickers as nearing use by dates. But hey, that's not clickbait is it? Carry on sniping.

Different buyers different suppliers.

I’m biased but the supermarkets with good buying teams are not struggling…

I'm guessing you've not found salad buyers for Tesco, Aldi, Asda, Morrisons or Waitrose.

• webboo
    Did this salad shortage occur shortly after Ugo started his lean and mean diet thread.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not relevant to the central point: "But they said Brexit was unlikely to be a factor."
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not relevant to the central point: "But they said Brexit was unlikely to be a factor."
    That is a fair point, these shortages have occurred every year for as long as I can remember so I do not see why it can be blamed on Brexit.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

orraloon said:

Meanwhile, in the real world, local Coop has a load of peppers, tomatoes et al, with quite a lot on reduced price stickers as nearing use by dates. But hey, that's not clickbait is it? Carry on sniping.

Different buyers different suppliers.

I’m biased but the supermarkets with good buying teams are not struggling…

I'm guessing you've not found salad buyers for Tesco, Aldi, Asda, Morrisons or Waitrose.

Buyers as in the team of buyers. Each supermarkt will have a team of buyers for fruit and veg.

Someone will be responsible for raspberries, strawberries, cucumbers etc.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815
    edited February 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You've noticed how the BBC are terrified to even imply anything might even be partially made worse by brexit.

The Telegraph goes as far as saying this can't just be blamed on Brexit.
  • I'm interested in what negatives you thought might occur from brexit that made you vote remain, and whether you think you were right.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You've noticed how the BBC are terrified to even imply anything might even be partially made worse by brexit.

I'm sure that if the industry sources questioned in the article had thought it was Brexit related then they would have said so.

You're clutching at straws now.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm sure that if the industry sources questioned in the article had thought it was Brexit related then they would have said so.

You're clutching at straws now.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

That is a fair point, these shortages have occurred every year for as long as I can remember so I do not see why it can be blamed on Brexit.
    Well quite. Some people don't know when to give up.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Well quite. Some people don't know when to give up.
    Bit of an "own goal" by the Leave campaign perhaps. Sure as night follows day, anything that goes wrong post-Brexit, even if it happened pre-Brexit as well, will be blamed on Brexit by the anti-Brexit side of the argument. In the absence of anything tangible on the upside, focus will inevitably be drawn to potential downsides of Brexit, even if more imaginary than real.

• I'm interested in what negatives you thought might occur from brexit that made you vote remain, and whether you think you were right.

My thinking was as follows: Whatever happened, the UK would be out-negotiated (**) given that high profile UK politicians are experienced only in misleading gullible voters, and the skills needed to outwit EU negotiators are very different. The "negotiations" mainly involved one part of the Tory party arguing with another. The negotiations with the EU involved translating combinations of specific positions that were acceptable to the EU (*) from the outset into a Treaty. The negotiation process would undoubtedly degenerate into something akin to a slanging match, eroding goodwill which would have helped the UK post-Brexit. No, the EU only does us a favour when it it overtly also in their best interests. (Though the "mood music" with Sunak in charge is much more positive.)

(*) Honourable exception here being TM's "backstop" which gave the UK access to the Single Market without paying a fee, which is what is usually required. e.g. Norway pays circa 80% of what it would pay as a full EU member.

(**) I completely underestimated the EU's almost religious attachment to the preservation of the rules at the cost of mutually beneficial bespoke arrangements with the UK. But as I wasn't relying on this for a "good Brexit" I can simply file this under "lessons learned" rather than needing to berate myself for it.

So I didn't know for sure what negatives would emerge, but knew that numerous negative would emerge, with the chance of offsetting positives being vanishingly small.

On a less logical level I couldn't overlook:
    - Who was leading the Leave campaigns; and
    - - "If it sounds to good to be true then it is."

My thinking was as follows: Whatever happened, the UK would be out-negotiated (**) given that high profile UK politicians are experienced only in misleading gullible voters, and the skills needed to outwit EU negotiators are very different. The "negotiations" mainly involved one part of the Tory party arguing with another. The negotiations with the EU involved translating combinations of specific positions that were acceptable to the EU (*) from the outset into a Treaty. The negotiation process would undoubtedly degenerate into something akin to a slanging match, eroding goodwill which would have helped the UK post-Brexit. No, the EU only does us a favour when it it overtly also in their best interests. (Though the "mood music" with Sunak in charge is much more positive.)

(*) Honourable exception here being TM's "backstop" which gave the UK access to the Single Market without paying a fee, which is what is usually required. e.g. Norway pays circa 80% of what it would pay as a full EU member.

(**) I completely underestimated the EU's almost religious attachment to the preservation of the rules at the cost of mutually beneficial bespoke arrangements with the UK. But as I wasn't relying on this for a "good Brexit" I can simply file this under "lessons learned" rather than needing to berate myself for it.

So I didn't know for sure what negatives would emerge, but knew that numerous negative would emerge, with the chance of offsetting positives being vanishingly small.

On a less logical level I couldn't overlook:
    - Who was leading the Leave campaigns; and
    - - "If it sounds to good to be true then it is."
    I think too much is made of our negotiating skills, it was more important that we had a very bad hand.

Virtually the one thing that everybody agrees upon is that the EU is a rules based organisation, they behaved exactly as anticipated.

As somebody with a degree in economics it has been fascinating to watch. If Brexit had been a success economically then it would have torn up the text books and that is why there was not a single reputable expert who thought that it would be
  • I think too much is made of our negotiating skills, it was more important that we had a very bad hand.

Virtually the one thing that everybody agrees upon is that the EU is a rules based organisation, they behaved exactly as anticipated.

The EU is a rules-based organisation, but it frequently ignores its own rules, though only when it's expedient to do so e.g. ignoring what was obvious to everyone's pet dogs about Greece complying (or not) with the Maastricht criteria for the Euro and not sanctioning Germany when it broke the rules of the Euro re its deficit. I guess that gave the more optimistic types hope that some flexibility would be shown where there was mutual benefit in so doing.

But a good example of why Brexit was doomed is that the EU has taken an exceptionally hard line re the UK's financial services. The UK regulatory regime has not been granted "equivalence" status despite still being the same, whilst the very different US regime has that status. There were never going to be any favours, particularly once the insults started flying from the Tory nutters.