BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762
    edited February 2023

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

If I could be bothered, I'd search for dismissive replies to my suggestion that relying too heavily on imported food wasn't a great idea in an uncertain world.

I feel your pain. Every time I have mentioned having a broad, and to some degree, self supporting economy, I heard autarky.

Oh how quickly times change!
    Autarky is the route to ruin.

Better?

Whenever I have suggested UK farming needs to become much more productive I get told British soil can’t handle it for the most part.

It’s been net importuning food for over a century. We’re not at war, there’s no blockade. That’s clearly not the issue.

Neither of us is suggesting autarky is either desirable or possible, and though war isn't the issue for the fruit & veg in this instance, that's one of the variables that can upset global supplies (with Ukraine, it's grain and sunflower oil).

But I am suggesting it's not wise to offshore too much food production, when farmable land could all too easily permanently be lost because of temporary economic forces. That's a long way from advocating autarky.
    I am not convinced that growing tomatoes in greenhouses in the middle of a UK winter is the best use of the world's resources.

What is wrong with people that a shortage of tomatoes becomes a crisis rather than a minor inconvenience
    Beat me to it. There's been some bad weather in tomato growing regions and there is a bit of a shortage. What's the bloody fuss about?
    Been to a supermarket in the last few days? It's not a crisis, but it's not great.

Also, the relevance to this thread is that the Moroccan (and Spanish) growers find it easier and more lucrative to sell into the EU, so when there is a shortage, that's what they'll do. There might be a similar problem later and to a lesser extent in the EU.
    I went a few days ago. Didn't notice anything but then again I wasn't shopping for tomatoes.

What's it got to do with Brexit?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

If I could be bothered, I'd search for dismissive replies to my suggestion that relying too heavily on imported food wasn't a great idea in an uncertain world.

I feel your pain. Every time I have mentioned having a broad, and to some degree, self supporting economy, I heard autarky.

Better?

Whenever I have suggested UK farming needs to become much more productive I get told British soil can’t handle it for the most part.

It’s been net importuning food for over a century. We’re not at war, there’s no blockade. That’s clearly not the issue.

Neither of us is suggesting autarky is either desirable or possible, and though war isn't the issue for the fruit & veg in this instance, that's one of the variables that can upset global supplies (with Ukraine, it's grain and sunflower oil).

But I am suggesting it's not wise to offshore too much food production, when farmable land could all too easily permanently be lost because of temporary economic forces. That's a long way from advocating autarky.
    I am not convinced that growing tomatoes in greenhouses in the middle of a UK winter is the best use of the world's resources.

What is wrong with people that a shortage of tomatoes becomes a crisis rather than a minor inconvenience
    Beat me to it. There's been some bad weather in tomato growing regions and there is a bit of a shortage. What's the bloody fuss about?
    Been to a supermarket in the last few days? It's not a crisis, but it's not great.

Also, the relevance to this thread is that the Moroccan (and Spanish) growers find it easier and more lucrative to sell into the EU, so when there is a shortage, that's what they'll do. There might be a similar problem later and to a lesser extent in the EU.
    I went a few days ago. Didn't notice anything but then again I wasn't shopping for tomatoes.

Can you read?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Better?

Can you read?
    It doesn't explain why Moroccan tomato growers would not sell to the UK.

And while you're at it, tell me why its a big issue. Try not to be condescending this time.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Better?

Can you read?

And while you're at it, tell me why its a big issue. Try not to be condescending this time.
    Again, can you read?

It's not a crisis, but it's not great.

It's easier to supply from Morocco to the EU rather than through the EU to the UK, so when there are more buyers in the EU, that's who they'll supply.

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,774
    I doubt anyone is saying its a massive crisis, but its yet another example of things being a bit more rubbish. And essentially, no benefits to balance things out.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,144

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Better?

Can you read?

Again, can you read?

It's easier to supply from Morocco to the EU rather than through the EU to the UK, so when there are more buyers in the EU, that's who they'll supply.
    In particular, a promised direct shipping service from Tangiers to the UK never happened so everything has to go via the EU.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Better?

Can you read?

Again, can you read?

They don't have to go through the EU, or can make use of transit provisions, so that sounds like Eurobollox to me. So still doesn't look like a Brext issue.
  • Stevo_666

So you're agreeing it isn't a big issue?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Better?

Can you read?

Again, can you read?

They don't have to go through the EU, or can make use of transit provisions, so that sounds like Eurobollox to me. So still doesn't look like a Brext issue.
    You are right, the Govt set up a direct ferry service to run twice a week for exactly the point you make.

Unfortunately they gave the contract to a company with no boats
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Better?

Can you read?

Again, can you read?

You are right, the Govt set up a direct ferry service to run twice a week for exactly the point you make.

Why on earth is the government getting involved in the details of supermarket buying?!?!
  • Stevo_666 said:

So you're agreeing it isn't a big issue?
    If you can read, I beg you to use that skill.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Better?

Can you read?

Again, can you read?

Why on earth is the government getting involved in the details of supermarket buying?!?!
    Food security is important, so if you realise it's a priority and you have the right people with the right contacts and industry knowledge to completely balls it up then why not get involved?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Better?

Can you read?

Again, can you read?

I'll be generous and assume this is a deliberate act of you not wanting to understand simple concepts.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2023
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Better?

Can you read?

Again, can you read?

Food security is important, so if you realise it's a priority and you have the right people with the right contacts and industry knowledge to completely balls it up then why not get involved?
    Sure but this is the innards of supermarket supply chains!??!

WTF does the government know about buying transporting and selling fresh food?

That's the food industry's job. Nothing to do with the gov't.

I swear when it comes to food people start thinking weirdly. It's just a market like any other.
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Better?

Can you read?

Again, can you read?

I swear when it comes to food people start thinking weirdly. It's just a market like any other.
    Read what I wrote again.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Better?

Can you read?

Again, can you read?

Politics ha been very hectic recently but the last but one wearer of the blue rosette turned out to be more in favour of a command economy than wearers of the red rosette have traditionally been.

I am guessing that disrupting the foodchain was one of the undiscussed downsides of Brexit so the Govt's mitigation policy was to subsidise a company to run ferries twice a week to Tangiers. Unfortunately they did a Grayling and appointed a shipping company with no ships. I am sure it was an easy mistake to make.
  • rick_chasey
    Sure but I mean what were they thinking?

Which company is using the boat? for what produce? From which supplier?!
  • Sure but I mean what were they thinking?

I am not making myself very clear.

They solved the problem of which company with what product from which supplier by not having a boat
  • rick_chasey

They solved the problem of which company with what product from which supplier by not having a boat
    I know but what was the thinking. I don't understand what they were trying to do.

I know but what was the thinking. I don't understand what they were trying to do.
    Ship goods directly from Tangier to Poole without going through the EU, to make it more streamlined and avoid any of the complexities that going across the EU border twice introduces. Nicknamed the "Brexit buster".
  • rick_chasey

Ship goods directly from Tangier to Poole without going through the EU, to make it more streamlined and avoid any of the complexities that going across the EU border twice introduces. Nicknamed the "Brexit buster".
    What goods? Who's goods? from where to where?

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221
    My recipe books need updating, I've never seen one state Moroccan tomatoes so can't comment on my favourite dish made from them.
  • rick_chasey

This is not remotely helpful.

There is a market place for food, like anything else.

This is not remotely helpful.

There is a market place for food, like anything else.
    I don't know what you want to know. We left the EU, which made it more complex to bring food from Morocco to the UK through Europe, and someone decided to set up a company to run a ferry direct to avoid this. The brexiters lauded it as a great thing, then it never happened.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,212
    Meanwhile, in the real world, local Coop has a load of peppers, tomatoes et al, with quite a lot on reduced price stickers as nearing use by dates. But hey, that's not clickbait is it? Carry on sniping.
  • pangolin
    orraloon said:

Meanwhile, in the real world, local Coop has a load of peppers, tomatoes et al, with quite a lot on reduced price stickers as nearing use by dates. But hey, that's not clickbait is it? Carry on sniping.

Obviously they are not out of stock nationwide, but on my last weekly shop I had to go to 3 shops to find any toms or peppers.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    orraloon said:

Different buyers different suppliers.

I’m biased but the supermarkets with good buying teams are not struggling…