BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538

It's a non zero chance that Sunak runs into real difficulties this week over NI.

Difficulties maybe, but I think derailing a government over this would be absolutely nuts.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,668
    Jezyboy said:

It's a non zero chance that Sunak runs into real difficulties this week over NI.

Difficulties maybe, but I think derailing a government over this would be absolutely nuts.

Have you been following politics lately?
  • briantrumpet
    Did I mention incompetence? A thread worth reading, on why there's no shortage of tomatoes in the EU.

• briantrumpet
    If I could be bothered, I'd search for dismissive replies to my suggestion that relying too heavily on imported food wasn't a great idea in an uncertain world.

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

If I could be bothered, I'd search for dismissive replies to my suggestion that relying too heavily on imported food wasn't a great idea in an uncertain world.

I feel your pain. Every time I have mentioned having a broad, and to some degree, self supporting economy, I heard autarky.

Oh how quickly times change!
  • briantrumpet
    Was it Kenneth Williams who said "Autarky, autarky, they've all got it autarky!"?

Might be misremembering...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,144

The thread you linked to above suggested it was more to do with relying too heavily on Morrocan fruit and veg, but not setting up sufficient direct imports.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited February 2023
    morstar said:

I feel your pain. Every time I have mentioned having a broad, and to some degree, self supporting economy, I heard autarky.

Autarky is the route to ruin.

Better?

Whenever I have suggested UK farming needs to become much more productive I get told British soil can’t handle it for the most part.

It’s been net importuning food for over a century. We’re not at war, there’s no blockade. That’s clearly not the issue.

• briantrumpet

morstar said:

Better?

Whenever I have suggested UK farming needs to become much more productive I get told British soil can’t handle it for the most part.

It’s been net importuning food for over a century. We’re not at war, there’s no blockade. That’s clearly not the issue.

Neither of us is suggesting autarky is either desirable or possible, and though war isn't the issue for the fruit & veg in this instance, that's one of the variables that can upset global supplies (with Ukraine, it's grain and sunflower oil).

But I am suggesting it's not wise to offshore too much food production, when farmable land could all too easily permanently be lost because of temporary economic forces. That's a long way from advocating autarky.
  • morstar
    It’s also inefficient to not use the land or the labour that we have available. If a business is hugely successful in a narrow area, maybe it doesn’t need to explore every commercial opportunity available to it. As a country, we do not have that luxury.

Also, specifically in Ricks case, there seems to be an inability to see that some people would rather live and work in the country.
  • morstar said:

It’s also inefficient to not use the land or the labour that we have available. If a business is hugely successful in a narrow area, maybe it doesn’t need to explore every commercial opportunity available to it. As a country, we do not have that luxury.

Also, specifically in Ricks case, there seems to be an inability to see that some people would rather live and work in the country.

Is anyone stopping farmers doing farming?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,017

morstar said:

We buy from the lowest bidder and that currently means importing.
    This is fine until there is nothing to import and no farmers.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar said:

Better?

Neither of us is suggesting autarky is either desirable or possible, and though war isn't the issue for the fruit & veg in this instance, that's one of the variables that can upset global supplies (with Ukraine, it's grain and sunflower oil).

But I am suggesting it's not wise to offshore too much food production, when farmable land could all too easily permanently be lost because of temporary economic forces. That's a long way from advocating autarky.
    I am not convinced that growing tomatoes in greenhouses in the middle of a UK winter is the best use of the world's resources.

What is wrong with people that a shortage of tomatoes becomes a crisis rather than a minor inconvenience
  • rick_chasey
    Same argument over and over.

2 things.

1), make your farming competitive and productive. I've suggested things but they were, probably fairly, shot down.

2) nothing wrong with importing food unless you're intent on waging a big war when you can't rely on imports.

Food is traded in global markets all the time. Countries don't hold a bit back just in case - they buy it at the same prices we do. Clearly being closer to the production is an advantage as the cost of transport is lower, especially with fresh food, but still.

What do people think supermarket buyers are doing?
  • pblakeney

morstar said:

Better?

I am not convinced that growing tomatoes in greenhouses in the middle of a UK winter is the best use of the world's resources.

What is wrong with people that a shortage of tomatoes becomes a crisis rather than a minor inconvenience
    My solution is simple. Eat only seasonal food. We have become conditioned to availability. I don't recall ever eating a salad during winter when I was young.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Better?

My solution is simple. Eat only seasonal food. We have become conditioned to availability. I don't recall ever eating a salad during winter when I was young.
    Genuinely, if we go back to only eating seasonal local food, the UK will very quickly become very unattractive.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Better?

Genuinely, if we go back to only eating seasonal local food, the UK will very quickly become very unattractive.
    I find it hard to feel sorry for someone who's decider on immigration is eating a salad during winter.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Better?

F'ing progress.
  • pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Better?

as always there is a third way when we eat more seasonal food, if nothing else it tastes a lot better
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538
    Can you guys split off into a let's just eat turnips and other basic root veg thread.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762

morstar said:

Better?

Beat me to it. There's been some bad weather in tomato growing regions and there is a bit of a shortage. What's the bloody fuss about?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar

morstar said:

No, but Rick would as he believes everybody should live and work in the city.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Better?

Beat me to it. There's been some bad weather in tomato growing regions and there is a bit of a shortage. What's the bloody fuss about?

OK, so that canary looks a bit peaky, but let's carry on at the coalface, what's the fuss about?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762
    morstar said:

morstar said:

No, but Rick would as he believes everybody should live and work in the city.
    Surely the city dwelling farmers would get special day passes to go to the countryside on their ebikes in order to grow stuff?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Better?

Been to a supermarket in the last few days? It's not a crisis, but it's not great.

Also, the relevance to this thread is that the Moroccan (and Spanish) growers find it easier and more lucrative to sell into the EU, so when there is a shortage, that's what they'll do. There might be a similar problem later and to a lesser extent in the EU.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,588

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Better?

Been to a supermarket in the last few days? It's not a crisis, but it's not great.

Also, the relevance to this thread is that the Moroccan (and Spanish) growers find it easier and more lucrative to sell into the EU, so when there is a shortage, that's what they'll do. There might be a similar problem later and to a lesser extent in the EU.
    Despite Brexit, the UK is no closer to Morocco. Broken promises etc.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Better?

F'ing progress.
    Surely having salad available all year is regression? Progress would be banning it altogther.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221
    It's fine to rely on imports for a bit of variety. The key is whether we can reasonably feed the country without them if it became a necessity. Even when we did farm a lot more of our produce in WW2 we were reliant on imports getting through some incredibly dangerous sea routes alongside pretty strict rationing. I can't see a scenario where we are blockaded in the forseeable future but then I didn't foresee the impact of the pandemic in 2020 or a war in Europe in 2022. We've possibly become a bit too blase about ease of trading with other nations in the last 80 years.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,774
    Small point but tomatoes and peppers, of which there is a shortage, are not exclusively salad items. You all know they are foods that get cooked too, right?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Better?

Despite Brexit, the UK is no closer to Morocco. Broken promises etc.

Still closer than much of Germany. But now in reality we chose to move further away.