BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    4 years
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jezyboy said:

I just don't understand how the ERG still has such sway. A load of absolute political wreckers who haven't achieved anything positive for either their own political party or the country .

Hopefully Rishi thinks the same and will not avoid confrontation
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Jezyboy said:

I just don't understand how the ERG still has such sway. A load of absolute political wreckers who haven't achieved anything positive for either their own political party or the country .

Hopefully Rishi thinks the same and will not avoid confrontation
    He is a brexiter. Why would he think the same?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,663
    Starmer making the sorts of noises farmers could well get behind. That would be quite the turnaround... what next, fishermen?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/19/keir-starmer-to-make-eu-trade-and-standards-pledge-as-tories-give-up-on-farmers

The NFU has lobbied for years against trade deals that could undercut British farmers, such as the one the former prime minister Liz Truss struck with Australia, amid fears that post-Brexit Britain would be too reliant on imports.

Thérèse Coffey this week told the National Association of State Departments of Agriculture winter conference in Washington DC, that she hoped to increase trade with the US and import more of its “fantastic produce”.

However, Starmer will tell the conference that under a Labour government, British farmers will be prioritised and standards upheld.

He will say: “It was obvious the Conservative party had given up on farmers when they elected Liz Truss. Labour’s approach to trade will be very different – I can promise you that. We want to remove barriers to exporters, not put them up. We want to protect high British standards, not water them down.

“We are going to talk to our friends in the European Union, and we are going to seek a better trading relationship for British farming.”

• briantrumpet
    And just while you're wondering about how the US can produce stuff so cheaply:

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762

It's all good news for Labour - the longer the train crash of the Tories' infighting and incompetence carries on, the more Labour's likely win at the GE will be baked into people's minds and the money will follow them.

Go Jezza! He could still make my £3 sub back in 2015 even better vfm :smile:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/02/20/jeremy-corbyn-may-still-block-keir-starmers-path-downing-street/

As for 'money following Labour', not so sure about that, unless it's people who want more of the stuff from other taxpayers.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221
    The problem with wet dreams is that it is a huge disappointment when you wake up.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

It's all good news for Labour - the longer the train crash of the Tories' infighting and incompetence carries on, the more Labour's likely win at the GE will be baked into people's minds and the money will follow them.

https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/02/20/jeremy-corbyn-may-still-block-keir-starmers-path-downing-street/

As for 'money following Labour', not so sure about that, unless it's people who want more of the stuff from other taxpayers.

Competency and honesty in government might be seen as a positive thing to hope for, and to put your money behind. Businesses' investment in the Tories hasn't worked out well on that front.

Telegraph just repeating the "but Starmer" line of Sunak in the hope that something, anything, will work to get a few votes back, but, like the small boats issue, it's playing to a smaller and smaller group of loyalists who would struggle to articulate anything that the Tories have achieved or stand for.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,587
    I consider him on a par with the FT journalist that always posts nonsense.
  • briantrumpet

If you care to point out anything that's been wrong about his analyses, feel free. Yes, I realise he's passionate about Brexit being a poor choice, but he backs it up with a deep knowledge of the legal complexities and pitfalls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMTwho-AW9Y
  • TheBigBean

If you care to point out anything that's been wrong about his analyses, feel free. Yes, I realise he's passionate about Brexit being a poor choice, but he backs it up with a deep knowledge of the legal complexities and pitfalls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMTwho-AW9Y
    Except his deep knowledge that was used to guide people prior to the Brexit vote was actually wrong.

His first tweet could say, for example, that borders typically go on the border of a country, so there needs to be a north south one. It wouldn't be a particularly helpful comment, but stating something else, as he does, as fact isn't good.

Obviously, I didn't get to the second tweet.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,014

His first tweet could say, for example, that borders typically go on the border of a country, so there needs to be a north south one. It wouldn't be a particularly helpful comment, but stating something else, as he does, as fact isn't good.

The current practical border is with the mainland though. A north south border breaks the peace agreement which will be why he dismissed it.
    Is the peace agreement to be collateral damage?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Competency and honesty in government might be seen as a positive thing to hope for, and to put your money behind. Businesses' investment in the Tories hasn't worked out well on that front.

Telegraph just repeating the "but Starmer" line of Sunak in the hope that something, anything, will work to get a few votes back, but, like the small boats issue, it's playing to a smaller and smaller group of loyalists who would struggle to articulate anything that the Tories have achieved or stand for.
    Missing the point that again. I'm saying that Labour could have a few problems ahead.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:

The current practical border is with the mainland though. A north south border breaks the peace agreement which will be why he dismissed it.
    If a north south one breaks the peace agreement, there's no reason an east west one doesn't.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,144
    edited February 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Missing the point that again. I'm saying that Labour could have a few problems ahead.
    I can only assume you didn't read past the headline. I normally have a lot of time for Iain Dale, but he seems to start off by confirming Corbyn won't stand as an independent and won't win an attempt to get reinstated then realises he's got a few hundred more words to fill.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Of course, Labour could have problems. The question the electorate is answering is whom do they trust more, given past history and current evidence. And business is starting to make that judgement too.

We know that the Tories are incompetent, as evidenced by their record in government since 2010. And they are a shambles as a party, hostage to a party-within-a-party of loons, who'd be more at home in a Farage outfit, as evidenced daily in all the papers, including the Telegraph. And they are the ones who have had to impose higher taxes, not just because of covid and Ukraine, but their own epic misjudgement with Truss. They can't blame that on Corbyn, or Starmer, however hard they try: the electorate isn't buying their dissembling this time.
  • pblakeney
    edited February 2023

pblakeney said:

If a north south one breaks the peace agreement, there's no reason an east west one doesn't.
    An east west one wasn't considered and isn't included. DUP won't agree to it as an answer. Imo Brexit has caused an insolvable problem.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet

pblakeney said:

As pointed out on about p3 of this thread about three decades ago, the NI GFA and a hard Brexit were simply incompatible. I'm sure if I had the patience, I could find Dougan pointing that out too. I think a lot of his anger and passion come from his belief in the primacy of law, and a duty for nations not to break internationally binding agreements.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I can only assume you didn't read past the headline. I normally have a lot of time for Iain Dale, but he seems to start off by confirming Corbyn won't stand as an independent and won't win an attempt to get reinstated then realises he's got a few hundred more words to fill.
    Nope, maybe you don't get the point that he can still cause problems by galvanising the hard left vote. Martyrdom is a powerful force.
  • Brexiteers pretending that they give any shits about NI is an absolute nonsense. Always been a secondary issue to them. They were quite happy to play loose and free with the GFA ti achieve their ideological dream. I found it disgusting then and nothing has changed my mind on that.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Nope, maybe you don't get the point that he can still cause problems by galvanising the hard left vote. Martyrdom is a powerful force.

Anyway, you've been banging on about Corbyn for so long, I try to tune out. But there is a thread for Corbyn stuff anyway, if you could keep it there.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Brexiteers pretending that they give any shits about NI is an absolute nonsense. Always been a secondary issue to them. They were quite happy to play loose and free with the GFA ti achieve their ideological dream. I found it disgusting then and nothing has changed my mind on that.

They care about the EU bit and that’s still a thing over in NI.

It’s hatred of the EU.
  • pblakeney

Brexiteers pretending that they give any shits about NI is an absolute nonsense. Always been a secondary issue to them. They were quite happy to play loose and free with the GFA ti achieve their ideological dream. I found it disgusting then and nothing has changed my mind on that.

They care about the EU bit and that’s still a thing over in NI.

It’s hatred of the EU.
    I'd go along with SBA. N.I. has been an inconvenience for some since the '60s and they'd rather it just went away. EU is just an additional factor.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • The minister told The Times: 'The naivety is astonishing. The strategy hasn't worked. People won't allow something that doesn't ensure sovereignty.

'Ministers will resign. I couldn't look myself in the eye and vote through something I thought would undermine sovereignty in Northern Ireland.'

This is absolute gold. WTAF.
  • tailwindhome
    Ministers don't resign over Northern Ireland
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Anyway, you've been banging on about Corbyn for so long, I try to tune out. But there is a thread for Corbyn stuff anyway, if you could keep it there.
    Touche...
  • tailwindhome
    It's a non zero chance that Sunak runs into real difficulties this week over NI.
  • It's a non zero chance that Sunak runs into real difficulties this week over NI.

the other side will neverback down so he should bite the bullet and get on with it, he should have enough cover if Cleverley and Heaton-Harris remain onside.